Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's awesome. So much better than "As per team guidelines, contract terms were not disclosed."
Even that's less insulting than teams going

"HEY! We re-signed player X! Go to ourteam.com for full details!"

And then you click on the link, and it's just a f***ing biography about the player without ANY actual contract details. Not even contract length, let alone the AAV. Especially the Rangers love to do this. Avs to an extent as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
EJ made it pretty clear he despised playing for Sacco. He said once he was trying to carry the puck up the ice in practice and Sacco told him no, you gotta dump it and hang back. That's absolutely NOT how you best use a guy like that. I will never for the life of me understand why Sacco became such a needlessly conservative coach, he didn't start out that way.

For some reason there were a lot of people who classified him as more of a stay-at-home type and I have no idea why. Dude thrived when he was free to skate the length of the ice and generate offense. He was never an elite skater and we all know he struggled to get his shot through traffic but he was very effective on end-to-end rushes when he could build speed. But after injuries set in and he kinda lost a couple steps, that's when his game more or less disappeared.

Also, Bednar had a hard time figuring out what to do with him. I'm still more than a bit irritated that he struggled for so long to figure out how to win in 3-on-3 OT when he had a player perfectly suited to that style of play. Instead Bednar kept going back to guys like MacKinnon who, at least early on, had NO clue what they were doing in the extra session.
I don't think Sacco helped at all... I'm just saying the 10-11 to 2013 seasons were messy for EJ. Certainly flashes existed, but EJ's inability to be a top pairing guy during that time played into how difficult those seasons were.

Like the idea of teams themselves providing this info for their fans, if only it had been someone else first...

It might be on us for having a team that actively hurts their fans' ability to connect. :laugh:

But hey, they at least posted Jost and Byram thirst traps for the bunnies!

• Haha
Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
IMO the Avs missed a golden opportunity not pairing EJ and Barrie at even strength more often, those two worked great together. I realize it made for a shitty 2nd and 3rd pairing but they should've rotated them together more often than they did. And Barrie did just fine on the left side.
They were the only 2 RD on the team, I get why they weren't paired together

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think it's pretty clear that the Avs are going to ignore the concept of depth and instead go all in on top tier talent. They'll be sending Nuke to Siberia, shipping out Wood and Colton and retiring Landeskog to sign Draisaitl in the off-season. The Avs will only be able to operate 2 lines, but they're going to put up insane stats (because they'll have to since the team won't have a goalie either).
Can’t we just put Cale in net?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hedman at 3, Fox at 8 and Bouchard at 9 is insanity. Hanifin at 18 is wild.... Even Toews at 10 is a bit of a joke.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hedman at 3, Fox at 8 and Bouchard at 9 is insanity. Hanifin at 18 is wild.... Even Toews at 10 is a bit of a joke.
Is it though?

Keep in mind he isn't even known for his offense, its his defensive ability that really makes him so good... And yet:

1724905437052.png

1724905482684.png

1724905523404.png

In the last 3 years, he's got the best +/- of all Dmen in the league, he's 15th among all Dmen for total points, but most impressively of all stats for him IMO... He's 4th among all Dmen for Even Strength points over the last 3 years. Only Josi, EK65, and Cale have more points at Even strength.

I actually think Toews is extremely underrated still. Easily belongs in the Top 10.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
EJ was a very good skater when he first got here, which is surprising given the knee injuries he'd had by that point. And considering he's as large as he is. Given the amount of injuries I've had I'm amazed he's still playing but it's not really surprising that someone so physically gifted regressed towards the end of his contract here.

I also agree he's going to get his number retired and I'm going to hate it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Is it though?

Keep in mind he isn't even known for his offense, its his defensive ability that really makes him so good... And yet:

View attachment 903772

View attachment 903773

View attachment 903775

In the last 3 years, he's got the best +/- of all Dmen in the league, he's 15th among all Dmen for total points, but most impressively of all stats for him IMO... He's 4th among all Dmen for Even Strength points over the last 3 years. Only Josi, EK65, and Cale have more points at Even strength.

I actually think Toews is extremely underrated still. Easily belongs in the Top 10.
I love Toews but based off of last season he isn’t a top 10 dman. He was good defensively last year, but he took a noticeable step back last year. Was that because of Makars down year or just he himself? Either way I don’t think that that means he was top 10 last year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I love Toews but based off of last season he isn’t a top 10 dman. He was good defensively last year, but he took a noticeable step back last year. Was that because of Makars down year or just he himself? Either way I don’t think that that means he was top 10 last year.
I’d argue the last two seasons Toews has taken a step back defensively… and I think it begs the question, is he the primary reason Makar’s defense looks like it has taken a step back? Was he covering some flaws?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’d argue the last two seasons Toews has taken a step back defensively… and I think it begs the question, is he the primary reason Makar’s defense looks like it has taken a step back? Was he covering some flaws?
Makar was injured and needed surgery :sarcasm:

@dahrougem2

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Toews' decline over the last two seasons is a real problem and easily predictable. They really should have kept Byram over him. I understood the argument "win while you can" and Toews answered that question in the moment better than Byram did. But they haven't come close to winning shit and now the advantage of keeping the "better but declining" player is fading fast.

The worst part is you can take it to the bank that Toews will continue to get progressively worse each year now. The Avs are going to need a top pairing LHD before too long.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Toews' decline over the last two seasons is a real problem and easily predictable. They really should have kept Byram over him. I understood the argument "win while you can" and Toews answered that question in the moment better than Byram did. But they haven't come close to winning shit and now the advantage of keeping the "better but declining" player is fading fast.

The worst part is you can take it to the bank that Toews will continue to get progressively worse each year now. The Avs are going to need a top pairing LHD before too long.
yep dumb move

Reactions: AvStock

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Byram has yet to take a legitimate step forward as a Defensive anchor in the NHL, at least in my opinion.

I know that the pushback on this will be the 2022 Cup Run, and he did look, largely, very good; but since then he's been a VERY mixed bag at best, and pretty bad at worse.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Byram is an inconsistent, yet flashy 4/5 right now. Keeping him over Toews would have this team closer to being a wild card team than people want to admit. Byram is one of the most overrated young players here in a while. There is very clear talent, but there are very, very clear drawbacks too.

Makar was injured and needed surgery :sarcasm:

@dahrougem2

Makar hadn’t looked right… and there has to be an explanation for him to drop off that much on the defensive side of the puck that early. IMO it is entirely plausible that Makar just was never that good defensively and Toews propped him up. Also plausible that Makar has some sort of lingering issue that isn’t getting better. Given what we know and the lack of surgery… I’m more inclined to believe Toews covered at this point.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Makar hadn’t looked right… and there has to be an explanation for him to drop off that much on the defensive side of the puck that early. IMO it is entirely plausible that Makar just was never that good defensively and Toews propped him up. Also plausible that Makar has some sort of lingering issue that isn’t getting better. Given what we know and the lack of surgery… I’m more inclined to believe Toews covered at this point.
Makar was at his best for the first month of the season and was good/great up until the ASG. After that it feels like all the extra minutes got to him and he was saving energy.

The mistakes I've seen from him defensively had nothing to do with Toews and more to do with Makar not going the extra mile to make the right play. Hence the tiredness theory.

Rants does the same thing all the time and probably for the same reasons.

In the end, Cale's gotta stay away from the PK

Last edited:
Reactions: Frenchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad