Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Makar was at his best for the first month of the season and was good/great up until the ASG. After that it feels like all the extra minutes got to him and he was saving energy.

The mistakes I've seen from him defensively had nothing to do with Toews and more to do with Makar not going the extra mile to make the right play. Hence the tiredness theory.

Rants does the same thing all the time and probably for the same reasons.

In the end, Cale's gotta stay away from the PK
Possible... it is also possible that Makar didn't have to go the extra mile on plays because Toews was covering a lot. Toews slipping requires Makar to do more on the ice and he's not capable to that level.

I despise Makar on the PK for many reasons, but the Avs seem to completely disagree... especially given who they have signed on that side of the puck.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
He still probably is until he gets surgery on whatever causes him pain.

Imagine watching a player wincing and grimacing in pain almost nightly when he makes certain movements all season and not believing he has some issues.
Probably wincing at the poor defensive decision he just made. It hurt my head too :sarcasm:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Makar was at his best for the first month of the season and was good/great up until the ASG. After that it feels like all the extra minutes got to him and he was saving energy.
I don't agree with this at all. I thought Makar was mediocre defensively all season long, minus a few stretches of games here and there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avsfan1921

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Imagine watching a player wincing and grimacing in pain almost nightly when he makes certain movements all season and not believing he has some issues.

I agree. It was like almost every game he'd be grimacing in pain too. Spent lots of time before periods loosening up his hips too.

And it was pretty obvious the team knew he was battling through something, because the trainer would often just stand there ignoring him while he was grimacing, because he already knew what it was, and didn't want to draw attention to it.

It doesn't make sense either that he would rehab his hip all off season, and then at the start of the year, be visibly upset and say that it didn't fix the problem, but then somehow it got better after 77 grueling regular season games and playoffs.

My guess is he's hoping to put off hip surgery, because the rehab is so lengthy, and there's some question marks when you come back. He's too much of a competitor, and knows how important he is to the team. Some players try to wait until after their UFA deal to have surgeries like that, but that's 3 years away, so it might be a bumpy ride if they can't find a non surgical way to fix the problem.

IMO it just speaks to how much of a competitor Cale is and how special a player he is, that he can play through that kind of pain, and still be better than 99% of the league. He's just not gonna say it, because he doesn't want to make excuses.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Irregardless of that, just watching him skate last year was a completely different experience to years prior. He’s still obviously a great skater, but he only looked great not like the only rival to McDavid in the league.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We have two top 10 forwards and two top 10 d-men. Not only that but while Toews and Mikko are ranked 10 at their positions, we have a #2 forward and #1 d-man. There is no way we don’t win at least one more cup with this guys

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
We have two top 10 forwards and two top 10 d-men. Not only that but while Toews and Mikko are ranked 10 at their positions, we have a #2 forward and #1 d-man. There is no way we don’t win at least one more cup with this guys
$$$$$

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

The odds of this core winning another cup is extremely thin, and yes only winning a single cup with this core is a disappointment IMO.

For me, it comes down to letting Kadri walk and Nuke tanking two straight contention years as to why they never even came close to winning another one.

In this last year before Mikko destroys the Avs cap, damn near everything needs to go right (Landeskog/Nuke/Girard/Georgiev/Mitts/Health) for the Avs to even have a long shot at another cup.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The odds of this core winning another cup is extremely thin, and yes only winning a single cup with this core is a disappointment IMO.

For me, it comes down to letting Kadri walk and Nuke tanking two straight contention years as to why they never even came close to winning another one.

In this last year before Mikko destroys the Avs cap, damn near everything needs to go right (Landeskog/Nuke/Girard/Georgiev/Mitts/Health) for the Avs to even have a long shot at another cup.

Nuke nuked this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Yeah going into that post Cup season without a 2C was clearly a huge mistake and could be easily seen at the time. Things have to generally go right anyway, and that hamstrung them from the beginning. Add in that things haven't gone right and you have the situation we're in today. There are absolutely some elite talents on this roster... there is a whole bunch of meh to go along with it though.

Reactions: Ararana

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Nuke nuked this team.

Letting Kadri walk was the dagger IMO. He was the perfect 2C for the Avs, both in skill set and mentality, and his age fit their contention window. They were never the same since he left. IMO Kadri was the third most important player on the Avs behind MacKinnon and Makar.

Obviously you can't have Nuke pulling his shit, but IMO the Avs were done well before Nuke starting getting caught.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Letting Kadri walk was the dagger IMO. He was the perfect 2C for the Avs, both in skill set and mentality, and his age fit their contention window. They were never the same since he left. IMO Kadri was the third most important player on the Avs behind MacKinnon and Makar.

Obviously you can't have Nuke pulling his shit, but IMO the Avs were done well before Nuke starting getting caught.
And Kadri badly wanted to stay. He gave the Avs so much time and chances to make it work.... the Avs just couldn't get there.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
And Kadri badly wanted to stay. He gave the Avs so much time and chances to make it work.... the Avs just couldn't get there.

I know. f***. He was one of the top centers available that offseason and waited loooong into the summer for the Avs to get their shit together. Can't blame Kadri one bit. Complete inexcusable fumble on Avs management.

If EJ didn't want to waive, fine, trade Girard, trade Compher. Maybe don't extend Manson until you have Kadri locked up? You absolutely have to keep the second line center you just won a cup with.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Very on brand for HF Avs for a post about their guy being named a top 10 defenseman to lead to a discussion about how he shouldn't be that high and how they're never winning again. I see we're getting that chicken little passion back in time for camp in a few weeks here. Hockey is nearly back!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Very on brand for HF Avs for a post about their guy being named a top 10 defenseman to lead to a discussion about how he shouldn't be that high and how they're never winning again. I see we're getting that chicken little passion back in time for camp in a few weeks here. Hockey is nearly back!
Also very on brand to have a snarky reply to any discussion. ;):laugh:

(just poking fun here)

Reactions: Avs_19

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I think its most ridiculous that I'm the one that was trying to be positive and talk positively about our guy in this discussion! It feels weird to be on this side.

:laugh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You forgot "Kadri should never have left" making the inevitable appearance as well.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I stand by my statement. Toews is good, really really good. But he isn’t one of the 10 best down in the league anymore.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
I know. f***. He was one of the top centers available that offseason and waited loooong into the summer for the Avs to get their shit together. Can't blame Kadri one bit. Complete inexcusable fumble on Avs management.

If EJ didn't want to waive, fine, trade Girard, trade Compher. Maybe don't extend Manson until you have Kadri locked up? You absolutely have to keep the second line center you just won a cup with.
Reminds me of the last their window ended when they traded Drury for Morris and insects, so they could keep the ‘big three’ d-men after Bourque retired. That was awful.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Reminds me of the last their window ended when they traded Drury for Morris and insects, so they could keep the ‘big three’ d-men after Bourque retired. That was awful.
I actually felt really bad for Dean MacAmmond in all that. Dude got traded to us, obviously was not a fit here and we ended up trading him back and that caused him to be ineligible to play games in the league because the rule against trading for a player and then trading them back to the original team in the same season. That rule really didn't make sense to me in an era with no salary cap and retention but I can understand it being in place today.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
We just need one of Nuke or Landy back to win another cup. We might even get both back. Kadri was a big loss but I think Mitts is capable of being the 2C we need to win

Reactions: Brett44

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We just need one of Nuke or Landy back to win another cup. We might even get both back. Kadri was a big loss but I think Mitts is capable of being the 2C we need to win
I can absolutely see the Avs winning a cup this season if both Nuke and Gabe came back at 100% of what they were.

Unfortunately, nothing I've ever observed in my life has led me to believe that people come back from these things the same as they were.

As for Valeri, addiction always takes a toll. Yes, we can recover and continue a much more productive and healthy life in recovery, but the scars (damage done both mentally and physically) will always be a part of the new product. Hopefully, they make the final product tougher...but they can also lead to long term issues due to inability to forgive oneself. Damn...I just hope Nuke is taking it seriously.

Landy will always be a plus because of his leadership and willingness to do whatever is necessary. If he wants to break Jagr's record, I think he can go as long as his re-engineered leg will take him. Even if he was absolutely stricken with a case of absolutely no hockey skills, he'd still be better than most 3rd and 4th liners in the NHL just because he's Gabriel f***ing Landeskog: First of his name, ultimate Viking, under-rated pugilist, motivational speaker who does not need words, a man who truly pushes the earth down rather than himself up, the true second Captain of the Colorado Avalanche and the King of the Greater Colorado River watershed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad