Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Term is shit, should have bridged him. 5 year contract out of his ELC is Auston Matthews level shenanigans.

This is even worse because Byfield hasn't even started being good yet. It's possible that the Kings only get 3-4 good years out of their 2nd OA pick. Yikes. If he reaches his ceiling and he's UFA at age 26, watch out $$$$$$$$$. :laugh:

Last edited:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Term is shit, should have bridged him. 5 year contract out of his ELC is Auston Matthews level shenanigans.

This is even worse because Byfield hasn't even started being good yet. It's possible that the Kings only get 3-4 good years out of their 2nd OA pick. Yikes. If he reaches his ceiling and he's UFA at age 26, watch out $$$$$$$$$. :laugh:
Feels like they had the cap space for an extra year at least.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It’s a bit of risk for the Kings, but they should get excess value for the term. If Byfield continues to progress, he’s gonna be big time paid after.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kings board is (rightfully) mad

MoEz6If.png

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Byfield looks like a guy who should be the best player on the ice every single shift due to his physical abilities, then you look and he only scored 55 points last season.

He'll be 22 next season, I would hope we see a leap in production. Otherwise it's a meh contract for a guy that looks great but can't seem to bring the results to match the eye test.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Byfield will put it together eventually. There's too much size, skill, and athleticism not too. The question is if it'll be next year or in 5 years.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Byfield looks like a guy who should be the best player on the ice every single shift due to his physical abilities, then you look and he only scored 55 points last season.

He'll be 22 next season, I would hope we see a leap in production. Otherwise it's a meh contract for a guy that looks great but can't seem to bring the results to match the eye test.
Sounds a lot like Mackinnon.

Well if you ignore Mack’s rookie year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

IMO his floor is in the rough area he was last year. If that happens, the contract is at proper value. If he puts it together, he'll be an extreme value.

The worst part of the deal is the pure lack of UFA years bought. If it was 3 years, the deal would be an extreme steal. If team control was kept (IE left 1 RFA year), it would be looked at as a bridge where you still get some discount. 1 year puts it in the same category as Mitts and Makar's deals where a big price will be paid early in their career.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm probably in the minority, but I think Parekh is really going to struggle in adapting to the NHL.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm probably in the minority, but I think Parekh is really going to struggle in adapting to the NHL.
Granted I’m basing this off highlights I saw at and after the draft. But I feel like he’s either a 60+ point dman or out of the league by 23. Super super book bust guy to me.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
If 90 points is “regressing hard” I think he’ll still command plenty.
Scoring is up and he basically doesn't play unless MacK and Rantanen are on the ice. Still has poor defensive metrics. When he's not babysat by MacK his offensive and defensive metrics make you wish for Cody Ceci.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Granted I’m basing this off highlights I saw at and after the draft. But I feel like he’s either a 60+ point dman or out of the league by 23. Super super book bust guy to me.
What I see is a guy who was heavily reliant on his skating in juniors to play his style... that just isn't that good of a skater. He needs a lot of refinement in that area to round his skating out, or he will need to modify his game. There's potential in either or both, but they scream risk and issues transitioning to the NHL.

I think Makar took a pretty big step back defensively last season, but it doesn't matter. He's breaking the defensemen glass ceiling on salaries in 2027. It'll be 12-13m most likely. Though that could step up if salaries explode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad