Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think he's regressing either, but next season will be telling for me.

Then again, he says he's not injured, the team says he's not injured but I simply do not believe either party.
Nope, I don't either. We know the Avs would rather miss the playoffs than be fully transparent about player injuries.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nope, I don't either. We know the Avs would rather miss the playoffs than be fully transparent about player injuries.
It's not even about the lack of transparency to me. Both Makar and Bednar confirmed he was healing from something last Summer that never truly healed, and we know things like that don't just go away during the season with a vigorous 82 game schedule and then hard playoff games. So, I imagine he is still dealing with whatever didn't fully heal and will be going into next season unless it magically heals or he opts for surgery to fix whatever is wrong.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
How does that Kuzy termination work cap wise? I know the 6M that he was owed through the season won't count, but what about the 2M that he was already paid as a signing bonus. Would that still count?

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
The only things that hurt his defensive metrics last I looked were his PK numbers, and I've talked ad nauseam about why I think the Avs PK sucks. Yes, his numbers take a hit when he's away from MacKinnon but I'd argue that has just as much to do with the Avs' lack of depth and overstocking on forwards who continually get lost in the defensive zone as it does MacKinnon.

And you're getting a bit melodramatic with the Cody Ceci comparisons.
Pratt's regressive coaching. Makar looked awful defensively last year.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pratt's regressive coaching. Makar looked awful defensively last year.
If you think Pratt's the problem you simply haven't been paying attention the last five years or so. That dude has gotten the very most out of almost every defenseman that's come through Denver, including some career minor leaguers.

I'll once again say that the PK is still a hot goddamned mess but I blame Bednar (and maybe Bennett) more for that than Pratt.

The guy I'm a bit more concerned about regressing is Toews.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
If you think Pratt's the problem you simply haven't been paying attention the last five years or so. That dude has gotten the very most out of almost every defenseman that's come through Denver, including some career minor leaguers.

I'll once again say that the PK is still a hot goddamned mess but I blame Bednar (and maybe Bennett) more for that than Pratt.

The guy I'm a bit more concerned about regressing is Toews.
They've all regressed under him and yes Toews was awful too.

Byram, Girard and Makar have all regressed

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
:laugh:

Old Jeff Skinner contract is gone, here's the new one.

If Konecny is worth 10M, Rants is worth 18M.
I doubt he gets it, but if he stays in Philly, he's getting over 9 and probably 9.5+. Welcome to the new era where PPG wingers are nearing 7 figures. :nod:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I doubt he gets it, but if he stays in Philly, he's getting over 9 and probably 9.5+. Welcome to the new era where PPG wingers are nearing 7 figures. :nod:
He's barely that. He wasn't even PPG last year in a league with like 50 PPG players. He's a smaller complementary winger and he's not worth that money at all.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The only things that hurt his defensive metrics last I looked were his PK numbers, and I've talked ad nauseam about why I think the Avs PK sucks. Yes, his numbers take a hit when he's away from MacKinnon but I'd argue that has just as much to do with the Avs' lack of depth and overstocking on forwards who continually get lost in the defensive zone as it does MacKinnon.

And you're getting a bit melodramatic with the Cody Ceci comparisons.
That's just part of the NEB experience.

On a less obnoxious note. Makar put up points and is still one of the top defenders in the league when looking at his overall impact.

But in prior seasons Makar looked simply dominant no matter who was on the ice. And people wanted him to be more assertive to take the puck and not defer to MacK so often.

Last season Makar really relied on the top forwards to create room for him. And didn't have nearly as good of a defensive impact.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's barely that. He wasn't even PPG last year in a league with like 50 PPG players. He's a smaller complementary winger and he's not worth that money at all.
Worth is what people are willing to pay. With the cap moving, we are going to see these sorts of players hit what we think of as absurd salaries. It is only going to keep elevating too. It won't be a value contract and it will age poorly... but that's always been the case when we see these resetting events.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Worth is what people are willing to pay. With the cap moving, we are going to see these sorts of players hit what we think of as absurd salaries. It is only going to keep elevating too. It won't be a value contract and it will age poorly... but that's always been the case when we see these resetting events.
Why is the cap expected to start jumping up so much?

Gambling bringing in lots of new money and new teams helps. But is that it?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Why is the cap expected to start jumping up so much?

Gambling bringing in lots of new money and new teams helps. But is that it?
It isn't that it is jumping that much, but now finally moving. We're looking at 5% per year through this CBA. With how the cap is calculated, that looks like a pretty solid bet moving forward. So each year teams are getting 4+m extra to spend and if you're in a good situation, teams will start to count on that moving forward.

The HRR for the NHL is humming along nicely though. Expansion has been a huge success and the new TV deal (and advertising alongside it) has been a smash hit. Thusfar, that is overcoming the regional sports network headwinds. Next Canadian TV deal will be tricky, but if that hurdle is passed, we should be looking at even a slight increase on the rate in the next CBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad