Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sure, that still doesn't mean he would be smart signing a long term deal on a low AAV. If he doesn't like what's out there, I would tell him as an agent to bet on himself on another 1 year deal. A full year playing with MacK, getting close to a PPG, and I guarantee you those bigger deals will be out there next summer.
Heard out of town journalists last week saying the Avs should be offering 3M X 2 to Drouin, that it was a fair contract because he had a good season with Mackinnon but the Avs shouldn't go higher or longer than that.

I think he gets nowhere near 5M X 4 on the open market.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Love Drouin and everything he has come back from but I don't think the Avs can pay him $5M year, even if they somehow make it work with the cap. You also don't lock him in until 35 or 36 years old because that would be insanity. Then again, they just handed out a six-year deal to a 4th liner so maybe they would.

Hope he's back on a reasonable deal because he showed he's a good player and not just when he's on Nate's line but they have to be careful.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Why the f*** would Drouin sign that?
Why did RNH sign the deal he signed ? Same logic applies here.

Drouin is comfortable here and he completely turned his career around with the Avs.

What did it? The fact that he got to play with Mack? Was it Bednar's coaching? The fact that he was in a less-pressured filled market in Denver than Montreal ??

Regardless what it was, other teams will be more reluctant to commit to him on big $$$ AND big term because of that uncertainty.

I feel like the deal I mentioned would be a good deal for both the team and the player all things considered.

Could he sign a shorter team deal with another team in the hopes to maximize his earnings within the next 2-3 years....sure but if it goes south and it's a bad fit and he struggles, he gets WAY less.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Personally, I think the Avs will sign Drouin to a 7 year deal to match the years left on Mack's deal and also bring down the AAV.

So something around 7 X 3.95M or something like that.
Honestly for 7 years they better get a lower AAV then that. I dont see a market for him north of $4M even on a 1-2 year deal. There's still a bunch of uncertainty around him. Was this year truly him changing into a new player, or just a random one off/product of Mackinnon.

I think a couple teams like Chicago or San Jose would probably give him $4M for a couple years. I'd bet the Avs would be one of the only teams in the league willing to go 5+ years so if we're going 5-7 years, it should be for like $3-3.5M rather than $4M.

And Honestly, if his 2 best offers are say 2x$4M from San Jose, or 6x$3.5M from Colorado, I would say the Colorado deal is the easy one to accept.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd hesitate on giving Drouin term. Yeah he turned around and played very well the last half of the season, but he's had plenty of injury issues in his career along with a number of disappointing seasons. There's a good amount of risk here.

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd hesitate on giving Drouin term. Yeah he turned around and played very well the last half of the season, but he's had plenty of injury issues in his career along with a number of disappointing seasons. There's a good amount of risk here.
He’s getting 4 or 5 years max

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hence the lower AAV
At the low end, we are probably around $4m and the high end around $5m. If Drouin bombs starting in year 2, that 4-5m could be a pretty big anchor. That isn't a reason to not do it, but to think a 4-5 year deal for Drouin doesn't present some significant risks is misguided.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
At the low end, we are probably around $4m and the high end around $5m. If Drouin bombs starting in year 2, that 4-5m could be a pretty big anchor. That isn't a reason to not do it, but to think a 4-5 year deal for Drouin doesn't present some significant risks is misguided.
I could see MacFarland rather investing that money on Rantanen who's been a top ten scorer for years. When I put it that way, it sounds kinda crazy to bet on Drouin.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I don't think one good year with Mac will completely erase the fact that he posted 29, 20, 23 and 15 points in the 4 prior seasons. It should be term or AAV but not both. I think term (+5 years) with something in excess of $4M would be a win for Drouin... I hope the Avs do better than that, either with lower AAV or less term.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Dubas is signing Drouin

If Dubas signs Dumba he's a dumbass.

If Dubas signs Drouin he's is ruined down to the base.

I don't think one good year with Mac will completely erase the fact that he posted 29, 20, 23 and 15 points in the 4 prior seasons. It should be term or AAV but not both. I think term (+5 years) with something in excess of $4M would be a win for Drouin... I hope the Avs do better than that, either with lower AAV or less term.

I'm thinking Jonathan might learn all what Nathan can teach him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad