Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
At this point the Avs need to give term to lower AAV. 5 years from now won't matter.

It's not like the Wood deal or a potential Drouin deal is crazy money either. 4-5 seasons from now when the cap continues to go up 2-4.5 mill will be alot more manageable.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Once again, why would Drouin sign even a 4.5mil contract for 8 years, if he could play one year next to MacKinnon, get 100 points and then get like twice the payday?

There are situations where you should bet on yourself. This is one of them.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think it’s feasible that Drouin signs and we get to see how the Nuke/Landy situation plays out.

If Landy comes back as a she’ll of a player after a month or playing I think there’s a chance he hangs them up due to “knee related issues.” If that’s the case we are able to give Nuke another chance.

If Landy comes back and is a high-end third liner, I think we see Nuke’s contract terminated. There will be some weird cap manipulation, but I think it’s definitely feasible.
Landy isn't going to hang them up that easily. If the Avs utilize the 10% cushion to a significant degree, it should be looked at as a sign that termination is coming down the pipeline.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
Once again, why would Drouin sign even a 4.5mil contract for 8 years, if he could play one year next to MacKinnon, get 100 points and then get like twice the payday?

There are situations where you should bet on yourself. This is one of them.
I think the opposite.
There are situations where you need to seize the moment. This is one of them.
He was supposed to be a superstar and underperformed his whole career, to the point where he ended-up with mental issues, in addition to other physical injuries.
This is like betting $15M on heads or tail...
Just grab what you can now, secure a pleasant environment for the rest of your career and take care of your mental health at the same time.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If Landy comes back as a she’ll of a player after a month or playing I think there’s a chance he hangs them up due to “knee related issues.” If that’s the case we are able to give Nuke another chance.
Landy

Will

Not

Retire

How many times do we have to go over this? He might LTIRetire, but that's not the same thing, and will still cause us future issues with the cap.

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Landy

Will

Not

Retire

How many times do we have to go over this? He might LTIRetire, but that's not the same thing, and will still cause us future issues with the cap.
And he's not doing that until he gives it a shot during a season.

He may suck for the first 10 games of next year and then hit LTIR, but he will play and have to be accounted for on the cap prior to that option.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

He may suck for the first 10 games of next year and then hit LTIR, but he will play and have to be accounted for on the cap prior to that option.
And if that's the case, because of his long term contract, maybe he gives it another shot in 4 years? Who knows.

People really need to get it into their thick heads, that if Landeskog officially retires, he's voluntarily turning down over 30 million dollars.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Landy

Will

Not

Retire

We all knew it was going to be a bad contract, but nobody could guess it would be this bad.

And if that's the case, because of his long term contract, maybe he gives it another shot in 4 years? Who knows.

People really need to get it into their thick heads, that if Landeskog officially retires, he's voluntarily turning down over 30 million dollars.
Is there an example of a player who retired due to injury and cost their full cap hit to the team? (honest question)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Is there an example of a player who retired due to injury and cost their full cap hit to the team? (honest question)
No? LTIR is a thing. But it causes off season issues, and you can't accrue capspace when you are using LTIR etc.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You can give Drouin all the term in the world to lower that AAV down to under $4m as long as you don't give him significant move/trade protections beyond year 3

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
No? LTIR is a thing. But it causes off season issues, and you can't accrue capspace when you are using LTIR etc.
What kind of issues?

Also I forgot to mention, but it's doubtful he'd give it another try 4 years from now, that would be 6 full years not playing. Even his current two years away has very very few people who've managed to return.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I highly doubt he did all that to play 10 games.

IMO if he can do it he'll play the whole season regardless of if he's good or not.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Landy

Will

Not

Retire

If you re-read my post “Knee related issues” is suggesting that it would be an LTIRetirement and addresses the in-season issue which I was referring to.

No player out right retires with a contract in place, I’m surprised that I have to spell that out.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nope:
2CzzEXP.png

Man I'm going to miss Capfriendly

Reactions: Perratrooper

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Been thinking about it for a few weeks and if I was in charge of the Avs, this would be my plan :

1) Trade Georgiev

He wasn't necessarily the problem during the playoffs and aside from Game #1 vs the Jets, he was fine and at times pretty good. I don't think he stole any games though and at some point, you need your starter to be the main reason you won the game... I don't think that happened. The reason I would trade him is because of all the stuff we heard about him not getting along with some of the other guys on the team. Overall, I think the Avs need to change the mix and when you consider that there are a bunch of teams out there like the Devils and the Leafs who want to land a starter with experience, I think the Avs could do well with moving him out and going with someone else.

2) Trade FOR UPL

From what I heard during the season, the Sabres very much believe that Devon Levi is their future #1 guy and UPL is an upcoming RFA with arbitration rights. It's very possible that they want to keep him but at the same time, maybe they wouldn't mind moving on. For the Avs - this is the way they like to operate and it's fits their MO to a tee. UPL is 25 years old and not fully established as a starter but had a very good season - great season when you consider the way donnie-granatool was coaching that team. Grubauer and Georgiev were about the same age and maybe even a little more proven than UPL at that point. It's risky but you get goalie with good potential to pair with Annunen.

3) Trade Rantanen for B. Tkachuk (in before @henchman21 says the Sens aren't trading him)

I know a lot of people wouldn't want to do this but I would do it in a nanosecond. The fear that Rants gets a raise after putting in the season he did - making it thereby 'acceptable' is enough for me to want to move on from him instead of giving him a massive extension that could end up handcuffing this team in the future. I don't want to re-hash all that went wrong with the season #96 had but fans who put in the time to watch every game - know what's up as opposed to the boxscore watchers who are all like :huh: he had 104 points !!!

Besides, it's not like Brady Tkachuk is @Ceremony chopped liver... he's a pretty damn good and tough power forward. You can bet that that sack of shit jamie benn would have eaten a couple of fists after that hit on Toews if Tkachuk was on this team - doesn't mean he would have won but he would have been in there for sure. Tkachuk is younger and for the next 4 years would save us a decent amount on the cap if Rantanen was going to sign for somewhere around $11M per.

Honestly, the stage is set for CMac to trade Rantanen with all the uncertainty with the cap this summer. He could easily lock up Mitts, sign Drouin and then use the Nichushkin/Landeskog uncertainty as well as the fact that Makar is up in three years to justify moving Rantanen.

Probably won't happen but I really think that it should.

4) Re-sign Mitts & Drouin

I think both of these guys need to get signed over the next couple of weeks before free agency.

5) Sign UFAs -> Blueger, Lomberg and Hakanpaa
These are just guys I like but it could be any variety of depth players to fill out the roster. Ideally, you get a godam #4C THAT CAN WIN A f***ING FACEOFF!!!!

1718125338489.png

1718139391490.png

***This is under the premise that I believe that Nuke is going to get himself into Stage #4 sooner rather than later and his cap hit won't count for 2024/2025***

washington capitals - everyone hates you now because you're taking away our Cap Friendly !!!!!!!

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Been thinking about it for a few weeks and if I was in charge of the Avs, this would be my plan :

1) Trade Georgiev

He wasn't necessarily the problem during the playoffs and aside from Game #1 vs the Jets, he was fine and at times pretty good. I don't think he stole any games though and at some point, you need your starter to be the main reason you won the game... I don't think that happened. The reason I would trade him is because of all the stuff we heard about him not getting along with some of the other guys on the team. Overall, I think the Avs need to change the mix and when you consider that there are a bunch of teams out there like the Devils and the Leafs who want to land a starter with experience, I think the Avs could do well with moving him out and going with someone else.

2) Trade FOR UPL

From what I heard during the season, the Sabres very much believe that Devon Levi is their future #1 guy and UPL is an upcoming RFA with arbitration rights. It's very possible that they want to keep him but at the same time, maybe they wouldn't mind moving on. For the Avs - this is the way they like to operate and it's fits their MO to a tee. UPL is 25 years old and not fully established as a starter but had a very good season - great season when you consider the way donnie-granatool was coaching that team. Grubauer and Georgiev were about the same age and maybe even a little more proven than UPL at that point. It's risky but you get goalie with good potential to pair with Annunen.

3) Trade Rantanen for B. Tkachuk (in before @henchman21 says the Sens aren't trading him)
I know a lot of people wouldn't want to do this but I would do it in a nanosecond. The fear that Rants gets a raise after putting in the season he did - making it thereby 'acceptable' is enough for me to want to move on from him instead of giving him a massive extension that could end up handcuffing this team in the future. I don't want to re-hash all that went wrong with the season #96 had but fans who put in the time to watch every game - know what's up as opposed to the boxscore watchers who are all like :huh: he had 104 points !!!

Besides, it's not like Brady Tkachuk is @Ceremony chopped liver... he's a pretty damn good and tough power forward. You can bet that that sack of shit jamie benn would have eaten a couple of fists after that hit on Toews if Tkachuk was on this team - doesn't mean he would have won but he would have been in there for sure. Tkachuk is younger and for the next 4 years would save us a decent amount on the cap if Rantanen was going to sign for somewhere around $11M per.

Honestly, the stage is set for CMac to trade Rantanen with all the uncertainty with the cap this summer. He could easily lock up Mitts, sign Drouin and then use the Nichushkin/Landeskog uncertainty as well as the fact that Makar is up in three years to justify moving Rantanen.

I think both of these guys need to get signed over the next couple of weeks before free agency.

These are just guys I like but it could be any variety of depth players to fill out the roster. Ideally, you get a godam #4C THAT CAN WIN A f***ING FACEOFF!!!!

View attachment 881658

View attachment 881746

***This is under the premise that I believe that Nuke is going to get himself into Stage #4 sooner rather than later and his cap hit won't count for 2024/2025***

washington capitals - everyone hates you now because you're taking away our Cap Friendly !!!!!!!

I don’t think UPL or Tkachuk are available unfortunately. UPL was one of the main reasons the Sabres had a late season push. At 25, I wouldn’t move him even with Levi in the wings. UPL is UPL, but Levi could be anything, he could even be a UPL! You know how much the Sabres want a starting goalie!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

1) Trade Georgiev

2) Trade FOR UPL

View attachment 881658

View attachment 881746

This is a lot of typing to explain how you play NHL 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad