Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Drouins contract is one of the most interesting to me that i can remember. No amount of years would really surprise me and i wouldnt be all that shocked with any number between 3.5 to 6 if he tested free agency. Dont think he deserves 6 and wouldnt get it here but could see a team that believes in his resurgence give it to him

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Ya I dunno what all the fuss is. Mid 50's for points playing with a guy that put up 140. PP1 time. He's at the low end of 2nd line production especially with totals going up the last couple seasons. At 875K he was good value but much over ~3.5 and that is erased quickly.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I mean most this board think he comes in around 4 if he signs here. That likely factors in some kind of discount to stay but not a big one. After the first 20-25 games, if i recall correctly, his pace was much better as he settled in and was very solid defensively. A good amount of teams will be weary but theres always a team or 2 that will overpay. Again dont think its worth it but wouldnt shock if one team offers 3 years at 5+ per. I think he stays at 4/16 but doubt we are the highest bidder out there

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Ya I dunno what all the fuss is. Mid 50's for points playing with a guy that put up 140. PP1 time. He's at the low end of 2nd line production especially with totals going up the last couple seasons. At 875K he was good value but much over ~3.5 and that is erased quickly.
A little perspective is due. First of all, Drouin - like virtually anyone coming into Bednar's system -needed time to adjust. Furthermore, he was neither with Mac nor on PP1 for the entirety of the year. Still, his 56 points in 79 games is 70.9 ppg. In comparison, Kadri's career average is 71.2 ppg. Compher ( with a 5 x $5.1M AAV ) is at 48.4 ppg for his career. I don't think it would be unreasonble for Drouin to accumulate another 4g and 7a stapled to Mac for all 82 games ( Drouin also got burned by the millimeter difference on an offside review!) which would put him at 81.7ppg.

It might sound as if I am disagreeing with you, but that is really not the case. I've had in mind a 7 x $3.5M which would match Mac's term and take him to 36 years old. I'd even throw in an 8th year if he wanted to play another year as 3RW or 4RW. Calvert earned $2.85M when he was a bottom 6 wing. Bellemare earned $1.8 for a strictly 4C role. In 8 years, many 4th liners will earn $3.5M so it is not as if Drouin would be getting paid some onerous figure.

If Drouin can be had for anything at or under $4M, I think the Avs will get significant value over the life of the contract.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A little perspective is due. First of all, Drouin - like virtually anyone coming into Bednar's system -needed time to adjust. Furthermore, he was neither with Mac nor on PP1 for the entirety of the year. Still, his 56 points in 79 games is 70.9 ppg. In comparison, Kadri's career average is 71.2 ppg. Compher ( with a 5 x $5.1M AAV ) is at 48.4 ppg for his career. I don't think it would be unreasonble for Drouin to accumulate another 4g and 7a stapled to Mac for all 82 games ( Drouin also got burned by the millimeter difference on an offside review!) which would put him at 81.7ppg.

It might sound as if I am disagreeing with you, but that is really not the case. I've had in mind a 7 x $3.5M which would match Mac's term and take him to 36 years old. I'd even throw in an 8th year if he wanted to play another year as 3RW or 4RW. Calvert earned $2.85M when he was a bottom 6 wing. Bellemare earned $1.8 for a strictly 4C role. In 8 years, many 4th liners will earn $3.5M so it is not as if Drouin would be getting paid some onerous figure.

If Drouin can be had for anything at or under $4M, I think the Avs will get significant value over the life of the contract.
Why do we want to give a 29 year old who's had trouble staying healthy and performing consistently 8 years? Giving Wood 6 years is already ridiculous, but Drouin 8 would be just as insane. Don't give non core guys major term at 29.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If Drouin wants to sign for like 1mil than sure. But any AAV remotely significant shouldn't come with term.

Agree to disagree here. Drouin had multi year, multi million dollar AAV options before signing with the Avs if I remember correctly. He comes with a lot of risk, but I have no doubt some team will give him ~4,5 x 4 kinda deal. I'd throw all the term at him to get the AAV under 4 million. It's about next few years, not the years after that.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Why do we want to give a 29 year old who's had trouble staying healthy and performing consistently 8 years? Giving Wood 6 years is already ridiculous, but Drouin 8 would be just as insane. Don't give non core guys major term at 29.
Why? The last time we gave 8 years to a winger who had been up and down in his career it worked out perfectly. Oh...

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Agree to disagree here. Drouin had multi year, multi million dollar AAV options before signing with the Avs if I remember correctly. He comes with a lot of risk, but I have no doubt some team will give him ~4,5 x 4 kinda deal. I'd throw all the term at him to get the AAV under 4 million. It's about next few years, not the years after that.
This is the argument I get for term. The other side of this is if Drouin regresses to his Montreal version, he's not worth $4+m next year.

There is a lot of risk/reward with Drouin... which is fine, but it will be a deal that could be great or blow up in the Avs' faces rather easily.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is the argument I get for term. The other side of this is if Drouin regresses to his Montreal version, he's not worth $4+m next year.
Age regression and injuries are what we should fear the most. He's not going back to where he was mentally in Montreal.

Drouin had a lot of injuries over the years but also missed a lot of time and that makes him low mileage (?). It's hard to predict how he'll age.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Age regression and injuries are what we should fear the most. He's not going back to where he was mentally in Montreal.

Drouin had a lot of injuries over the years but also missed a lot of time and that makes him low mileage (?). It's hard to predict how he'll age.
Take your pick on which... all are a risk and immediately there. There is a solid chance it could be successful and it wouldn't really shock anybody. It could also blow up and it wouldn't really shock anybody.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I doubt there is as much hype amongst GM as there is on this board. He had a career year of 56 points at 29. Before that he hit 53 twice, that's it for +50 points seasons. He's not getting $5M, let alone $6M!
People have hype because they believe the best is yet to come, which sounds crazy, but he became complete hockey player in Colorado. He struggled start of the year but then found his game. He could put up even more points. I believe that too.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
People have hype because they believe the best is yet to come, which sounds crazy, but he became complete hockey player in Colorado. He struggled start of the year but then found his game. He could put up even more points. I believe that too.
I think Gabe's smarts is going to make him work with JD well.

Landy-MacK-JD
Coke-Mitts-Smokes
Wood-Lehky-LOC
Wagner-Ivan-Kovalenko (<6 minutes)

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
There is a great illustration of a roster issue... way too many wings, still.

If JD re-signs, it is probably a very clear sign that Nuke is out and it is a matter of when, not if.
Or a major problem/setback with Landeskog.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
For better or for worse, Landy is going to be planned in the lineup.

I think it’s feasible that Drouin signs and we get to see how the Nuke/Landy situation plays out.

If Landy comes back as a she’ll of a player after a month or playing I think there’s a chance he hangs them up due to “knee related issues.” If that’s the case we are able to give Nuke another chance.

If Landy comes back and is a high-end third liner, I think we see Nuke’s contract terminated. There will be some weird cap manipulation, but I think it’s definitely feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad