Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
With the way it's worded it doesn't look like Seravalli is guessing either. He straight up says that the Avs are prioritizing Drouin over Colton.

No "may" or "perhaps".

It sounds like the only way the Avs have found to make room for Drouin is trading Colton so don't expect another big contract back.

IMO we'll start the season with no real 3C and find one at the deadline or if/when we get rid of Nuke.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Saros to Geogiev and Scissons to Colton make the team better
Sure... but remember the 2-3 other pieces needed in that deal.

With the way it's worded it doesn't look like Seravalli is guessing either. He straight up says that the Avs are prioritizing Drouin over Colton.

No "may" or "perhaps".

It sounds like the only way the Avs have found to make room for Drouin is trading Colton so don't expect another big contract back.

IMO we'll start the season with no real 3C and find one at the deadline or if/when we get rid of Nuke.
If that is the case, it would be a very weird move and the top 6 better get ready for 25 and 20 minutes a night. :laugh:

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
The only move that maybe makes sense is Colton out and Laughton in.

Probably a lateral move, but it would save $1M on cap and I'd say there's at least a chance Laughton ends up a better fit for us(Though again most likely just an even swap).

However. The cost is likely pretty different. Where Colton perhaps gets us a 2nd round pick, Laughton would cost a 1st, because of that difference in cap hit and being a shorter contract.
The problem is Laughton kind of sucks.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It would take something absurd to the point of everyone here would burn Denver like Vancouver after a game 7.

Certainly some folks would :laugh:

I'd trade all of our futures to get him personally. Especially after seeing him against the Avs in the 1st round this year.

The problem is Laughton kind of sucks.

I think he's decent. But I doubt he's an upgrade on Colton, likely just a lateral move to save $1M in cap space.

I'd rather go into the season without a #3C than a top-6 winger.
Yikes.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’d much rather go without a top 6 winger. Those are very available every deadline and not expensive.
So are #3 centers frankly, and likewise not expensive either. You would much rather lock up your good players than bottom-6 players.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It costs a 1st+ to get a 3C at the deadline, and not even good ones. See Sean Monahan, Adam Henrique.

Meanwhile Toffoli(A 1st line winger) cost a 2nd + 3rd, Mantha a 2nd + 4th, Duclair cost a 3rd, Tarasenko a 3rd. Hell Carolina didn't even end up giving up a 1st for Guentzel.

It's not even close really.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So are #3 centers frankly, and likewise not expensive either. You would much rather lock up your good players than bottom-6 players.
Anybody that is a quality 3C will cost a 1st at a deadline. You can get top 6 wingers for 2nds or 3rds.

Avs have 3 top 6 guys (in theory) now. That’s enough and you’re adding just a compliment at the deadline. If the Avs only had 2, we’d probably have a bit different situation.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It costs a 1st+ to get a 3C at the deadline, and not even good ones. See Sean Monahan, Adam Henrique.

Meanwhile Toffoli(A 1st line winger) cost a 2nd + 3rd, Mantha a 2nd + 4th, Duclair cost a 3rd, Tarasenko a 3rd. Hell Carolina didn't even end up giving up a 1st for Guentzel.

It's not even close really.
The guys you listed at centers are #2 centers, and the guys you listed at wingers are bottom-6 wingers (aside from Toffoli, who is maybe a second line winger at best).

Tarasenko a top-6 winger? Mantha? Are you kidding? No wonder we have different opinions when our perception of said players is so different.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The guys you listed at centers are #2 centers, and the guys you listed at wingers are bottom-6 wingers (aside from Toffoli, who is maybe a second line winger).

Tarasenko a top-6 winger? Mantha? Are you kidding? No wonder we have different opinions when our perception of said players is so different.

Hahahahaha what!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The guys you listed at centers are #2 centers, and the guys you listed at wingers are bottom-6 wingers (aside from Toffoli, who is maybe a second line winger at best).

Henrique is certainly not a top 6 center. Monahan might be a bad one. JGP cost a 1st. Eller as a bad 3C here cost a 2nd.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Hahahahaha what!
Toffoli was literally the best winger you could come up with, and he is basically worse than Burakovsky. If that's your bar for a top-6 winger, then I'm sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Mantha, pretty much the same. Tarasenko has been one, but is on steep decline.

Henrique and Monahan both have had better numbers than the guys you listed at wing. They are much closer to #2C than the wingers you listed are to top-6 wingers.

Reactions: Alienblood

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The one thing I will say is that I think it bothers Bednar that he doesn't have a C he can trust defensively right now. Colton being a 4M 3C who doesn't kill penalties probably sticks out to him.
Been saying it all year. I know the traditional roles have sort of changed over the years but if your 3rd line center can't be trusted to play against other team's offensive players, can't PK, and can't win key faceoffs why is he playing 3C?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Henrique is certainly not a top 6 center. Monahan might be a bad one. JGP cost a 1st. Eller as a bad 3C here cost a 2nd.
Well neither are the wingers listed above. There is basically one top-6 winger available in UFA: Guentzel. Kane, if you believe he is fully healthy now. That's literally it.

Actually, Reinhart but he probably re-signs with Florida.

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Id guess ritchie is our 3c after next season. Not ideal scenario but can move colten for future draft picks and use those picks at the deadline to get a rental 3c and save cap. With or without a legit 3c, we are still and easy playoff team so wont kill us to go without till the deadline

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Been saying it all year. I know the traditional roles have sort of changed over the years but if your 3rd line center can't be trusted to play against other team's offensive players, can't PK, and can't win key faceoffs why is he playing 3C?
that's just it,.Colton is really a 3w and at 4 mil is the worst contract.on.the team. and the best one to move.

Reactions: Avs9296

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
100%. It's one thing if you really appreciate and value centers more than wingers, even a #3C to a top-6 winger. Fine. But if said #3C f***ing sucks at his job, then it's a different story. If RossCo was Artturi Lehkonen playing center, I would agree to keep him. But he's not.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Well neither are the wingers listed above. There is basically one top-6 winger available in UFA: Guentzel. Kane, if you believe he is fully healthy now. That's literally it.

Actually, Reinhart but he probably re-signs with Florida.
Toffoli is easily a top 6 wing. Dude has popped 30 goals the last two seasons. You don’t worry about it in UFA. You worry about it at the deadline.

This would likely go further backwards from that. Moving Colton’s salary to Drouin. Likely means a 4C level player in that role.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Toffoli was literally the best winger you could come up with, and he is basically worse than Burakovsky. If that's your bar for a top-6 winger, then I'm sorry, I couldn't disagree more. Mantha, pretty much the same. Tarasenko has been one, but is on steep decline.

Henrique and Monahan both have had better numbers than the guys you listed at wing. They are much closer to #2C than the wingers you listed are to top-6 wingers.
Oh man. Andre Burakovsky has never scored more than 22 goals in a season, has scored 50+ points just once. Tyler Toffoli has back to back 30+ goal seasons and 73 points last year. Same player!!!

I am learning a lot about your evaluations today. It does explain a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay