Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Trading Colton to replace him with a cheaper and actual center wouldn’t be the worst idea for the 3C
There IS NO "cheaper and actual center" that would be available...

Not one that wouldn't cost a ton in trade assets, nor one that would be cheaper than 4M AAV as a UFA (and I don't think there is one to be had in UFA).

He produced 40 points, you're also not getting that production either.

This whole idea to trade him AFTER the Avs spent so much time identifying this role as something worthy of trading a former 1st round pick (before his value bottomed out), and then signed him to term and gave a NTC, is very weird.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Hopefully we can move Wood out too. Perfectly fine player, just doesn’t bring enough at his cap hit. To me there often wasn’t a discernible difference between him and a typical fourth line player.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Alright, since this continues to be a weird topic of discussion, the people who think we're going to magically trade him and upgrade our roster AND get cap space....

Who is going to fit that bill? A realistic trade option for Ross Colton that is an upgrade on him as a 3C AND has a cheaper cap hit.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Alright, since this continues to be a weird topic of discussion, the people who think we're going to magically trade him and upgrade our roster AND get cap space....

Who is going to fit that bill? A realistic trade option for Ross Colton that is an upgrade on him as a 3C AND has a cheaper cap hit.
So much this. A cheaper upgrade on Colton will cost ~ a 1st+Guly/Behrens+ most likely. And realistically I don’t think there’s any way anyone who fits that bill is readily available.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Sissons. Saves you 1.15m, PK1, PP2, similar production (on Nashville).

You package it with a deal for Saros, send out Georgiev and pay up what it costs. Saros is 5m see if they can retain. If not it's nearly dollar in dollar out as Georgiev is 3.4m.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ryan McDonagh was faced with the same situation as Goodrow, yet he was a fantastic soldier for Nashville. Just because Goodrow didn't want to waive his NTC and might be upset about it does not mean he will have a shitty attitude. Goodrow is known for being a very high quality leader and the pros pro.
Well, not exactly the same position. McDonagh was basically given the option to find himself a place where he wanted to go, or a list of options. Goodrow didn't get that chance. That said I agree, he will deal with it. He will probably be sour on Drury and the Rangers, but a team like NYR can get away with treating their players a bit questionably. People still want to go there.
This isn't a Laine type attitude.
Well, Laine didn't really want out of Winnipeg. He was chased out of there by some of their core pieces. Funny, how that also coincides with Bufyglien quitting. And also Ehlers wants out of there now.

And who can really blame anyone for wanting out of Columbus lol.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sissons. Saves you 1.15m, PK1, PP2, similar production (on Nashville).
Alright, I'm going to be THAT guy (someone who only looks at generic/everyday stats)....

Sissons is 3 years older, albeit signed for only 2 more years, but his best offensive season was last year, and it was 35 points.

Colton is 3 years younger, you're paying 1.15M more, for 3 more seasons, and has 2x outscored Sissons' best offensive season, in 6 less seasons.

I do not see him as an upgrade at 3C, at least not for saving 1.15M AAV.

Last edited:

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If you want to replace Colton you’re either downgrading in talent and cap hit or paying an exorbitant amount amount of assets to get a cheaper upgrade.
Cheaper will be worse. :nod:

There IS NO "cheaper and actual center" that would be available...

Not one that wouldn't cost a ton in trade assets, nor one that would be cheaper than 4M AAV as a UFA (and I don't think there is one to be had in UFA).

He produced 40 points, you're also not getting that production either.

This whole idea to trade him AFTER the Avs spent so much time identifying this role as something worthy of trading a former 1st round pick (before his value bottomed out), and then signed him to term and gave a NTC, is very weird.
In the cup year we had JTC who produced better in the playoffs than Colton did in this playoffs and JTC was actually solid defensively. He was only making 500K less than Colton but my point is, maybe the Avs can find a 3C who’s making 3 mill instead of 4 and is actually a defensive center who can be trusted when things get rough in the playoffs. Even saving a mill is something for the Avs who will be cap crunched

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If JGP gets bought out or if the Isles retained half, there would potentially be an upgrade for less cash.

In the cup year we had JTC who produced better in the playoffs than Colton did in this playoffs and JTC was actually solid defensively. He was only making 500K less than Colton but my point is, maybe the Avs can find a 3C who’s making 3 mill instead of 4 and is actually a defensive center who can be trusted when things get rough in the playoffs. Even saving a mill is something for the Avs who will be cap crunched

JTC was on a contract he signed as a RFA coming off his ELC. It is a much different timing of a contract that (IIRC) bought one UFA year. People also really overstate his defensive play. People look at numbers for one year and think he was elite. When the majority of the time people here were constantly complain about his defense (which also wasn't as bad as people said).

The 3Cs who are better and cost less, are typically guys that teams keep. Like Lowry in Winnipeg. He's much better than Colton at the role and worth way more. There is also zero chance he's going anywhere.

The UFAs this year as Stephenson and Wennberg... both are asking for 5+m. Roslovic is really a wing, but somebody might try him at center... if you think Colton is bad defensively....

Reactions: The Moops

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sissons + Saros

For

Georgiev + 2024 1st + Colton + someone fill in the blank
Nuke?

Seriously though, some of y'all have mentioned this possibility over the months but I never really thought the Avs would entertain it. I just didn't think they'd give up on someone they just traded a 2nd for and signed less than a year ago.
Well, not exactly the same position. McDonagh was basically given the option to find himself a place where he wanted to go, or a list of options. Goodrow didn't get that chance. That said I agree, he will deal with it. He will probably be sour on Drury and the Rangers, but a team like NYR can get away with treating their players a bit questionably. People still want to go there.

Well, Laine didn't really want out of Winnipeg. He was chased out of there by some of their core pieces. Funny, how that also coincides with Bufyglien quitting. And also Ehlers wants out of there now.

And who can really blame anyone for wanting out of Columbus lol.
Columbus can't do anything about their geographical location. However, their efforts to attract and retain talent has included the following progression of head coaching hires.....Tortorella to Larsen to Babcock to Vincent. It's like they have been actively trying to drive talent away. With the Arizona Coyotes in a "paused" state, the Blue Jackets are now the most inept organization in the league.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I don't think there's a good answer to this question. I think the concept of trading Colton (if Colorado really did it) means the Avalanche are willingly taking a hit at 3C to address other areas.

Throwing out a potential trade: Bjugstad (50%, $1.05M) <-> Colton ($4M).

That would save the Avs a hair under $3M, and Bjugstad is the better defensive player. But he's also a wildly inconsistent 32-year-old journeyman with only one year left on his deal. It would be an absolute band-aid of trade, made only for Colorado to use that $3M elsewhere.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think there's a good answer to this question. I think the concept of trading Colton (if Colorado really did it) means the Avalanche are willingly taking a hit at 3C to address other areas.

Throwing out a potential trade: Bjugstad (50%, $1.05M) <-> Colton ($4M).

That would save the Avs a hair under $3M, and Bjugstad is the better defensive player. But he's also a wildly inconsistent 32-year-old journeyman with only one year left on his deal. It would be an absolute band-aid of trade, made only for Colorado to use that $3M elsewhere.
I wouldn't say Bjugstad is better defensively, but the point of taking a hit at center to address other areas would be it.

For the money, you're generally not going to get a better 3C. If you offered up Winnipeg Ritchie + 24 1st + Colton + another thing for Lowry, maybe you get there, but people would rage at it. Generally, we'd be looking at a step or two worse 3C to save ~1.5m.

Reactions: shadow1

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The only move that maybe makes sense is Colton out and Laughton in.

Probably a lateral move, but it would save $1M on cap and I'd say there's at least a chance Laughton ends up a better fit for us(Though again most likely just an even swap).

However. The cost is likely pretty different. Where Colton perhaps gets us a 2nd round pick, Laughton would cost a 1st, because of that difference in cap hit and being a shorter contract.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wouldn't say Bjugstad is better defensively, but the point of taking a hit at center to address other areas would be it.

For the money, you're generally not going to get a better 3C. If you offered up Winnipeg Ritchie + 24 1st + Colton + another thing for Lowry, maybe you get there, but people would rage at it. Generally, we'd be looking at a step or two worse 3C to save ~1.5m.

I'd pay so much to get Lowry. But I can't see Winnipeg ever moving him.

Reactions: Chiarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad