Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Finally figure out your center depth just to trade one of them?

Sounds about right...

Well, this board did somehow will the Byram/Mitts trade into existance. Maybe we can revive the old Girard for Lundell thing and do it again.

Avs already only have 3.5 competent defenseman and you want to trade one of them?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
lol @ cap dump Mantha a top 6 winger, he's been offered for free all over the league for like 3 years.

The price of a good top 6 wing rental is Guentzel. Look it up.

Reactions: Alienblood

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Been saying it all year. I know the traditional roles have sort of changed over the years but if your 3rd line center can't be trusted to play against other team's offensive players, can't PK, and can't win key faceoffs why is he playing 3C?
this is why Colton is useless.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
lol @ cap dump Mantha a top 6 winger, he's been offered for free all over the league for like 3 years.

top line/PP1 is a lot different than top 6 winger.

Separate thought:

the team doesn't have to wait until the deadline and run the top 6 into the ground with 20-25 min nights for 60 games. Once the Nuke situation is resolved in November you can go make that move.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Toffoli is easily a top 6 wing. Dude has popped 30 goals the last two seasons. You don’t worry about it in UFA. You worry about it at the deadline.

This would likely go further backwards from that. Moving Colton’s salary to Drouin. Likely means a 4C level player in that role.
I don't disagree, but Bednar likely thinks why worsen his top six when he knows they perform to his liking when his 3C doesn't (at least theoretically).

We know that ends up with insane minutes for lines 1 & 2, but that is what I can see Bednar rationalizing.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't disagree, but Bednar likely thinks why worsen his top six when he knows they perform to his liking when his 3C doesn't (at least theoretically).

We know that ends up with insane minutes for lines 1 & 2, but that is what I can see Bednar rationalizing.
Colton played last year and the top line played insane minutes anyway. He's not shielding them.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Colton played last year and the top line played insane minutes anyway. He's not shielding them.
No, but in theory if his 3C could handle more minutes and tougher matchups, he might not feel the need to.

During 2022 Bednar didn't shy away from either of Kadri/Compher against other team's top guys because he had that trust. I don't believe Colton has that same trust.

Reactions: Balthazar

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If you want to replace Colton you’re either downgrading in talent and cap hit or paying an exorbitant amount amount of assets to get a cheaper upgrade.
All we need is a 3C who can score at least 30 points in the regular season and 8 or 9 points in a deep playoff run, and be good defensively, just like JTC did for us in 22. We might be able to find someone like that for less than 4 mill.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Guentzel is a good 1st line wing... which was a conditional 2nd that could turn into a 1st and 2 B 1C or 3B prospects depending how you feel about them.

Toffoli is a good 2nd line wing and cost 2nd and 3rd.

Eller as a bad 3C cost a 2nd.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Guentzel also didn't cost the Canes a 1st this year! A 2nd and a couple decent prospects essentially.

Yeah, it's not close really. You can pluck top 6(top line quite frankly) wingers for way cheaper at the deadline.
Wennberg was WAYYY cheaper than Guentzel. Just because the Oilers overpaid for Henrique (who is a 2nd line C btw, a low-end but still), doesn't mean the going rate for a #3C is more than for a top-6 winger. It's usually less, because you pay for production.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
All we need is a 3C who can score at least 30 points in the regular season and 8 or 9 points in a deep playoff run, and be good defensively, just like JTC did for us in 22. We might be able to find someone like that for less than 4 mill.
Not true anymore. This team isn’t nearly as good as the cup team was.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
At this point it's not really worth discussing who costs more to acquire, a top-6 winger or a #3C. Because if we are completely honest, we need both. Because Ross Colton is not a f***ing #3C, or if he is he's bad at it. So might as well clear his capspace and replace him with a proper center.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Wennberg was WAYYY cheaper than Guentzel. Just because the Oilers overpaid for Henrique (who is a 2nd line C btw, a low-end but still), doesn't mean the going rate for a #3C is more than for a top-6 winger. It's usually less, because you pay for production.
I mean the difference in cost wasn’t that big considering that Guentzel is like 4x the player Wennberg is…

Also Henrique is not a 2C… He did fine on the wing/hybrid C role in Anaheim. But once he went full time C in Edmonton he’s been 3rd line level at best… 6pts in 15 playoff games.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Colton gets paid more than Compher did and he does less. I understand that moving salaries around will result in holes but as a player I don't think he would be a big loss.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Henrique is certainly not a top 6 center. Monahan might be a bad one. JGP cost a 1st. Eller as a bad 3C here cost a 2nd.
Eller cost a 2nd because CMac (for some unknown/unneeded reason) requested retention.
Colton was our 2C until Mitts got here. He's second to Nate in TOI amongst centers (by a fair amount) at even strength, and 5v5. RyJo had like 5 minutes more on the PP than Ross but other than that Colton was 2C for the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad