Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Because the players would like to have their money. So they comply and go into the program.

Sure, you can grieve anything and sue anyone for anything. Whether that makes sense is another topic.
Very, very far from all have complied. Nuke himself did not comply for a while. Evander Kane refused alcohol and gambling addiction treatment via PAP.

Considering almost all of these sorts of cases end in a settlement, it makes a ton of sense to grieve. Neither side wants these issues to end up in court where there is always the risk of it going against you and setting precedent. Along with that, the NHL and NHLPA are bound to a very union friendly district court in the US. The NHL runs a fairly serious risk of rulings against them, and it would be unlikely to be heard up far enough to be overruled.

Nuke could jump out of the program today, the Avs could terminate his contract, and it would likely still end up with a settlement. It would likely be a much smaller settlement than if he completed the program, but odds are high it would still exist.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Very, very far from all have complied. Nuke himself did not comply for a while. Evander Kane refused alcohol and gambling addiction treatment via PAP.

Considering almost all of these sorts of cases end in a settlement, it makes a ton of sense to grieve. Neither side wants these issues to end up in court where there is always the risk of it going against you and setting precedent. Along with that, the NHL and NHLPA are bound to a very union friendly district court in the US. The NHL runs a fairly serious risk of rulings against them, and it would be unlikely to be heard up far enough to be overruled.

Nuke could jump out of the program today, the Avs could terminate his contract, and it would likely still end up with a settlement. It would likely be a much smaller settlement than if he completed the program, but odds are high it would still exist.
I appreciate all of the info put forth in this discussion topic. Thanks to the participants, I’ve learned a lot.

I guess I’m still feeling a little foggy in regards to the following: I feel when we talk settlement, there’s cap hit moving forward, and there’s plain cash to pay out.

Is it the case that the Avs could “buy down” any potential cap hit, by simply f***ing paying out Nichushkin? They could placate the PA by giving Nichushkin a stupid amount of money right here and now, in exchange for cap freedom? Does it/can it work that way?

In other words, is there a specific demand or policy that dictates a cap hit?

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I appreciate all of the info put forth in this discussion topic. Thanks to the participants, I’ve learned a lot.

I guess I’m still feeling a little foggy in regards to the following: I feel when we talk settlement, there’s cap hit moving forward, and there’s plain cash to pay out.

Is it the case that the Avs could “buy down” any potential cap hit, by simply f***ing paying out Nichushkin? They could placate the PA by giving Nichushkin a stupid amount of money right here and now, in exchange for cap freedom? Does it/can it work that way?

In other words, is there a specific demand or policy that dictates a cap hit?
Most indications are whatever settlement is paid out would have to go against the cap. The term is a big part of that too.

• Wow

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Most indications are whatever settlement is paid out would have to go against the cap. The term is a big part of that too.
So if (completely hypothetically) the Avs paid Nichushkin every dime they would owe him over the remaining 6 years of his contract right now ($36mil or whatever), I would assume the PA would be fine with that, no?

Would the league then view that as cap circumvention or something? Even though the player was the one whose behavior wasn’t in line with the contract language?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So if (completely hypothetically) the Avs paid Nichushkin every dime they would owe him over the remaining 6 years of his contract right now ($36mil or whatever), I would assume the PA would be fine with that, no?

Would the league then view that as cap circumvention or something? Even though the player was the one whose behavior wasn’t in line with the contract language?
It would all be counting against the cap, so I don’t really follow

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It would all be counting against the cap, so I don’t really follow
Sorry if I’m being dense, appreciate the continued response.

You’re saying that any settlement that gets paid must be applied to the cap in some manner? There is no possibility of “settlement” on the side?

Edit: I suppose that would be abused regularly (especially by Vegas) if it was doable.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sorry if I’m being dense, appreciate the continued response.

You’re saying that any settlement that gets paid must be applied to the cap in some manner? There is no possibility of “settlement” on the side?
Correct, any settlement amount seems like it will go against the cap and no possibility of paying outside. This is just a deduction from what we have as evidence from other settlements.

Reactions: ABasin

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

Page 262 and 263 of the cba have a list of all things that are accounted for when calculating "averaged club salary," which is used to calculate cap space. This portion specifically pertains to payments due to disputes and settlements.

"With respect to any Player Salary or Bonus disputebetween a Player and a Club (including but not limited todisputes arising under the Collective Bargaining Agreementexpired September 15, 2012), any amount paid (excludinginterest) in satisfaction of any award or judgment relatingto, or settlement of, any such dispute, but only to the extentthat such amounts have not otherwise been included in thePlayer's Player Salary or Bonuses."

So, if the Avs paid out Nuke his full 35.5 million remaining, that full 35.5 million would count against the cap.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I want Askarov as the primary piece....as well as all their other future pieces

I'd LOVE to have Askarov, but he is a rather small piece if they want Mikko. I'd want something like

Mikko and Annunen for Askarov, Evangelista, 2024 1st and 2025 1st.

Doubt they would do it though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Honestly, knowing Ehlers' intentions and trading him now would probably be the best thing for the Jets. He'll be 29 next year when he becomes a UFA and is a horrendous playoff performer. Just no-showed another postseason this year, which makes him 5/5 for his career in playoff no-shows. They're not a team that can rebuild but I don't think trading Ehlers would mean anything close to that. Get assets while you can use that space to improve elsewhere.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Then you have nothing to worry about . Nebraska has no hills :sarcasm:
You need to add this .gif
csi-miami-sunglasses.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He has been there for a decade. Not like he is spurning them immediately. He probably feels like he has a better chance to win elsewhere.
I don't even think it's about winning or losing--Old Man Bones threw him in the doghouse repeatedly (while oddly letting two of the laziest defensive players in the league in Scheifele and Connor do whatever) and the team/local media gave it to him when he had a poor showing in this year's playoffs, so I think he's just done with the organization and the city.

It'll never, ever happen, but the Avs are in desperate need of a decent two-way player. Ehlers wouldn't be ideal but I don't see many other options out there.

So Verbeek is just gonna sit there like he is with Gibson and do nothing. I'm thinking he's going to prove to be a really shitty GM, but we'll see.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad