Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I just think we have the wrong list of what UFAs are gonna cost now in our head. Bo Horvat got 8.5. Larkin got 8.7. Lindholm is in the same tier as those guys.
No - No I think your spot on and that's why I'd pass on him. Someone somewhere out-there will surely pay this guy 8.5 - 9.5 per for over 7 years and I don't want it to be the Bruins.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Then explain why the Canucks are offering him $7M AAV to play on the 3rd line?

It is reasonable. He is a two-way center and has performed really well with elite wingers, which the Bruins have. I'm just unsure if he will move the needle that much, especially if teams out there might cause a bidding war by offering more AAV.

I feel like we have heard his name rumored on this board as a potential target for the Bruins since he was with Carolina. Sweeney obviously likes the player. Out of the free agent centers available this off-season, I have said he would be the perfect center to pair with Poitras in the top 6. For the Bruins' sake, let's hope he's looking at potential fits with teams moreso than banking the largest check possible.

Lindholm gives them a matchup C. He gives them a faceoff guy. He gives them a bumper for the PP. And Boston can give him the wingers he needs and he plays a game where he can age further down in the lineup. He doesn’t give them an injection of speed or play driving offense. You would need another guy for that. And Marchand replacement is just around the corner, too.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Lindholm gives them a matchup C. He gives them a faceoff guy. He gives them a bumper for the PP. And Boston can give him the wingers he needs and he plays a game where he can age further down in the lineup. He doesn’t give them an injection of speed or play driving offense. You would need another guy for that. And Marchand replacement is just around the corner, too.
He'd be filling in the hole that Bergeron left - might not be the solution but he could certainly be part of the solution.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No - No I think your spot on and that's why I'd pass on him. Someone somewhere out-there will surely pay this guy 8.5 - 9.5 per for over 7 years and I don't want it to be the Bruins.

I toooootally feel that. None of this is on an island. If one addition is Lindholm and the other is a younger guy like Necas, I feel a lot better about it all. Lindholm living up to that kind of contract the first half of the deal doesn’t actually worry me. It’s bringing too many olds and assuming they will age as well as Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand and Chara that scares me.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Obviously only one projection, but if the cap goes up to 92 or so million in 25/26 as projected here, 8 million for a guy who allows players to slot properly in the lineup is important and affordable.

The math is simple:

Utah alone will bring in a minimum of $80 million more in revenue than Arizona did. 50% of that goes to the player's share. That's $1.250 million per team on the cap.

There are currently 10 teams without a Jersey Ad deal for next season (the average is about $3.8 million per team).

The Oilers are tied with the Leafs as the top revenue producing teams in the NHL. Make no mistake, them being in the finals is huge. The question is, how much of that revenue goes to this year and how much to next year? It all depends on when Oiler fans go crazy and start buying up merchandise IF they win the cup.

The Habs have an expiring local TV rights deal that brings in $70 million per season, easily the tops in the NHL. There is bound to be an increase there.

The NHL has several expiring marketing deals at the end of this season. And apparently they have entities lined up and waiting to get into the action.

For me, the questions isn't IF they could reach $91-$92 million next summer, but IF those projections are a bit low.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The math is simple:

Utah alone will bring in a minimum of $80 million more in revenue than Arizona did. 50% of that goes to the player's share. That's $1.250 million per team on the cap.

There are currently 10 teams without a Jersey Ad deal for next season (the average is about $3.8 million per team).

The Oilers are tied with the Leafs as the top revenue producing teams in the NHL. Make no mistake, them being in the finals is huge. The question is, how much of that revenue goes to this year and how much to next year? It all depends on when Oiler fans go crazy and start buying up merchandise IF they win the cup.

The Habs have an expiring local TV rights deal that brings in $70 million per season, easily the tops in the NHL. There is bound to be an increase there.

The NHL has several expiring marketing deals at the end of this season. And apparently they have entities lined up and waiting to get into the action.

For me, the questions isn't IF they could reach $91-$92 million next summer, but IF those projections are a bit low.

Best guess just for a round number, how long do you think before they get to 95?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Colorado is the place for Linus. Assuming Linus wants to live there.

Excellent team that needs an ace in net to get them over hump.
Issue with Colorado is they have two big cap unknowns with Nicushkin and Landeskog. They also need to put together a more competitive bottom six. More likely to see Colorado as a deadline netminder team rather than at the draft.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This should be the plan anyway IMO. Don't fixate on adding a center so hard that you end up adding a worse player just cause they play down the middle. Adding someone like Ehlers or Guentzel that produce at elite 5v5 rates and can play with Pasta almost certainly has a more positive impact on this team then adding someone like Lindholm.

Just get the best players possible to plug into the top 6, if that means keeping Coyle and Zacha as your top 2 centers again then I'm personally fine with that.

Here's the thing. Lindholm is at worst the 3rd best player forward in UFA this offseason (maybe 4th if you just want she short term Tavares) and you can make an argument for anywhere in the top 3 . If you tell me you are not going to sign Lindholm because you are going to sign Reinhart, that could make sense but Reinhart if he makes FA, could get anywhere between 2-3 million more than Lindholm. And given the need if the money is close between Guentzel and Lindholm, I'd take Lindholm, unless you think Crosby will force a deal to Boston for nothing

In my opinion the dropoff from Lindholm to Stephenson is fairly substantial, and the risk is higher with Stephenson.

And anyone you sign this offseason is going to be up to 1 million more than some may think they are worth

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Best guess just for a round number, how long do you think before they get to 95?

Yeah because a gambling man can unload a big fat offer on Reinhart types today, and be rewarded for the risk tomorrow.

Guess the same is true of any deal this summer.

Reactions: sarge88

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I just think we have the wrong list of what UFAs are gonna cost now in our head. Bo Horvat got 8.5. Larkin got 8.7. Lindholm is in the same tier as those guys.

I think it’s time start talking about the Pastrnak window. We had the Chara window and the Bergeron window. At 28, how many years left does Pasta have as the best player on a Cup team? 3? 4?
Bo Horvat got his contract after going on a major heater while Lindholm has pretty much crapped out. There was also pressure to sign Horvat after trading assets for him - pressure even Lou would feel.

The Lindholm situation is different, in that there's actual competition to get him to sign once July rolls around. Maybe that equals things out, but I don't really see Horvat and Larkin as his closest comps.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hear what your saying, but why overpay for a lindholm ? Who knows what's available in the trade market or who may become available in the near future. Lindholm is a 7 mil player at best, I just wouldn't go over that price.

In theory Sweeney knows what's available on the trade market and has had those discussions. But as we all know the Bruins are very limited when it comes to tradeable assets outside of Ullmark

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

I think it’s time start talking about the Pastrnak window. We had the Chara window and the Bergeron window. At 28, how many years left does Pasta have as the best player on a Cup team? 3? 4?
I watch a ton of Larkin and Lindholm isn't the line driver Larkin is. Larkin is quite a bit faster than Lindholm and is in his prime now. Last 3 years Larkin us about a PPG player. Lindholm hasn't been at PPG since 21-22. If there was a 7th game today no one is taking Lindholm over Larkin.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I watch a ton of Larkin and Lindholm isn't the line driver Larkin is. Larkin is quite a bit faster than Lindholm and is in his prime now. Last 3 years Larkin us about a PPG player. Lindholm hasn't been at PPG since 21-22.

That’s fair. I think Lindholm has better matchup C abilities. Won’t deny that Larkin is better, but don’t think it’s a whole tier different. Also, higher cap and full free market at work if he gets to UFA. I totally buy that he and his family love Vancouver. Great city and the team is in its window.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Guy could have helped this team and could easily had a career here post hockey playing days if he wanted.

Such a shame and so stupid. Alcohol and Anger. Shitty shitty mix. And an expensive one too.

It’s amazing how age affects one’s perception of or attitude toward people or situations.

My daughter is 23 and loves the Bruins and has a special place for Krejci, Looch, and a few others who took some time to talk to her and sign her jersey when she was 10, in September of their cup run.

She was devastated about what Looch did last winter and is really angry at him, much like many here, I would assume.

I look at it differently. My emotions aren’t anger or even disappointment. It’s really concern (probably not an emotion, but I’m sure you understand).

I’m concerned about a man who has issues that need addressing, and of course concern for his family and their ability to heal and move on in life in a healthy and productive way.

None of us is perfect and I understand that there are levels of wrong in life. I’m not going to say that aggression toward women is the same as cheating on your taxes or speeding, but life is hard and while we all want to think we’re incapable of showing the worst of what we can be, it’s not always as easy as it sounds.

(Edit…didn’t realize I was in roster thread…..didn’t mean to go off track)

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Who knows?

FA possibilities are as hard to decipher as whether or not any of your posts are serious, tongue in cheek or a combination of the two.
100 % serious

Athletic values Heinen as $3.5 M

I got him $2.75 X 3

DeBrusk getting a 7 M deal but Sweenius trying to get at 6-6.5 M with one less year

Just having fun upbeat angle rather then usual this Bruins player sucks

I do like the diversity of hate here

In the past it was an obsession with a few guys and we still have it with the Silence of the Lanbs like disturbing dislike of a couple is forwards

However at least we got Pastrnak & McAvoy haters here as well

We are branching out

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
100 % serious

I got him $2.75 X 3

DeBrusk getting a 7 M deal but Sweenius trying to get at 6-6.5 M with one less year

In the past it was an obsession with a few guys and we still have it with the Silence of the Lanbs like disturbing dislike of a couple is forwards

We are branching out
There is absolutely no hate involved in saying that DeBrusk will not get that kind of deal, and the same goes for Heinen. The hate talk only comes from people who have trouble understanding that others will simply have a different opinion and they are entitled to it!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
100 % serious

I got him $2.75 X 3

We are branching out

I’ll concede Heinen can be fine on line 3, but lines 1 and 2 on this team are where the upgrades need to happen.

Legit upgrades.

And again, unless they bring in at least two 25-30 goal wingers (2 UFA or 1 and JDB) I don’t see them winning a cup with Coyle and Zacha as the top 2 centers.

They get Lindholm to center Pasta and Zacha, and have Coyle center, say JDB and Necas, I’m happy, even though I’d rather have Monahan centering line 2, allowing Frederic, Coyle and Geekie to have a matchup advantage on line 3 most nights.

However, as I and others have pointed out, the idea of locking Heinen up at anything less than a clear cut, deep hometown discount, before settling the top 6 is unnecessary and foolish.

Guys like him will be available when the dust settles in August. If someone offers him more than the 1.5/1.75 x 2 that I’m comfortable with, then let him walk.

He’s a dime a dozen bottom 6 guy.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Guy could have helped this team and could easily had a career here post hockey playing days if he wanted.

Such a shame and so stupid. Alcohol and Anger. Shitty shitty mix. And an expensive one too.
What he did is inexcusable, but I believe in Milan. At heart I believe he is a good person. Eventually, I think he will work things out. A long road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad