Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Honestly, I'd almost rather they sit on the cap space and run it back with Coyle and Zacha as the top two centres again if it means not giving out a crippling contract to someone like Lindholm. Lindholm is a nice player but adding him to the top-6 does NOT turn this team into a contender imo and as such, the Bruins should not be looking to overpay him.

If he can be had for a reasonable contract then by all means, they should try to add him but if not (and it certainly appears he is looking to cash in), I'd rather they keep their options open in case a Draisaitl or Eichel hits the market next year. Those are the type of playerss to open up the vault for, not the Lindholms, Monohans or Pintos of the world.
Elias only 29 I say roll the dice. Plays a 200 foot game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Honestly, I'd almost rather they sit on the cap space and run it back with Coyle and Zacha as the top two centres again if it means not giving out a crippling contract to someone like Lindholm. Lindholm is a nice player but adding him to the top-6 does NOT turn this team into a contender imo and as such, the Bruins should not be looking to overpay him.

If he can be had for a reasonable contract then by all means, they should try to add him but if not (and it certainly appears he is looking to cash in), I'd rather they keep their options open in case a Draisaitl or Eichel hits the market next year. Those are the type of playerss to open up the vault for, not the Lindholms, Monohans or Pintos of the world.

Rumors have the cap going up quite a bit in the next 3-5 years.

Lindholm is a 3 zone player. They can easily afford him, even at 7+.

If they somehow find a better center or two in the next few years he’s good enough defensively that you can use him at 3C after Coyle is done here.

They go nowhere with Zacha and Coyle as the top two centers unless they can bring in two or three wingers that are 25/30 goal, 60/65 point guys to round out the top 6.

They have money. They need to improve the top 6 by a lot.

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada

If they somehow find a better center or two in the next few years he’s good enough defensively that you can use him at 3C after Coyle is done here.

They go nowhere with Zacha and Coyle as the top two centers unless they can bring in two or three wingers that are 25/30 goal, 60/65 point guys to round out the top 6.

If they can sign him for something in the 7s, I'd be cool with that. The offer he turned down from Calgary though suggests he's looking for 9+ which is harder stomach imo, especially if the plan is for him to slide down to 3c eventually.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather they be patient and wait for the right player/deal to come along even if it means short-term pain rather than potentially handcuff themselves long-term just for the sake of doing something. I dunno, I just keep flashing back to the David Backes signing when I look at this year's free agency class lol 🤷

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I came across this thread on the main board a couple days ago and found it interesting:

Edit: not that specific post - just the thread in general lol.

Reactions: Over the volcano

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe the problem is the who and not the term.
He will take a discount here

Play with Pastrnak - elite playmaking assassin

Leader
Icon
Lover of pets
Zero ego
Beer drinking psycho golfer

I’m EL I’m calling Sweens this morning and beg him to take me at 6/45

Zacha - Lindhom - Pastrnak
Marchy - Coyle- DeBrusk
Heinen - Frederic - Geekie
Beecher - Bo- Braz
Poitras
Lauko

Only issue is can they win Cup at home instead of road

Lindholm 6/45-48
DeBrusk 6/40
Heinen 3/8.25

Donny I am doing your job - let’s get this done

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yikes. If he's looking to cash in, the Bruins should look elsewhere. There are some other UFA options at center or if need be, they can go look at adding another top 6 winger.
He’s getting 7.5 here maybe 8

He must have something to turn down beautiful Vancouver and EP and the most underrated player in hockey JT Miller as teammates

Likely Bruins

Not liking 7 years or even 6 but only money and Dollar Store Donny one of best in cap management (sorry 25 dudes but he is)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

I agree with this. Beggars can't be choosers. Center is priority. They put themselves in this position so if they want to compete when it counts then if you need to overpay, well you need to. Can't waste Marchand and another year of Pasta. Ideally Lindholm-Poitras-Coyle for me

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If they can sign him for something in the 7s, I'd be cool with that. The offer he turned down from Calgary though suggests he's looking for 9+ which is harder stomach imo, especially if the plan is for him to slide down to 3c eventually.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather they be patient and wait for the right player/deal to come along even if it means short-term pain rather than potentially handcuff themselves long-term just for the sake of doing something. I dunno, I just keep flashing back to the David Backes signing when I look at this year's free agency class lol 🤷

I get it, but if the cap jumps big in the next couple of years (someone here posted that it could be near 95m in a few years) then even if he gets 8.5, that will really only be like what 7 is now.

IMO, while certainly not a Barkov, Lindholm checks a lot of boxes, as he’s a natural center, kills penalties and is good defensively, and has playmaking ability.

Perfect world for me is they sign him and maybe a Monahan agrees to take something in the 5’s to come here for the chance to win. I know it’s a long shot, as there are a lot of teams with money to spend, and we’ll probably end up seeing Coyle or Zacha centering line 1 or 2 (unless Poitras makes a big jump), but this team needs 3 legit top 6 guys to contend, IMO.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I agree with this. Beggars can't be choosers. Center is priority. They put themselves in this position so if they want to compete when it counts then if you need to overpay, well you need to. Can't waste Marchand and another year of Pasta. Ideally Lindholm-Poitras-Coyle for me
Lindholm is a very solid two-way center iceman, who only once in his career has averaged at least a point a game and that year was 21-22 when he was playing with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, who had 104 and 115 respectively, Lindholm had 82 in 82 games.

I like him as a perfect number two center. (In 818 career games he has 557 points.) Would love him as a Bruin, but am I'm going to over pay for him just because I have the cap space and the need for a number one center? The answer is no, I'd rather go the trade route, and if there's nothing there be patient don't enter the world of cap hell over a Elias Lindholm. Like I said I like the player and a lot, but Im not throwing anything more than 6.5 his way. Maybe 7 depending on term.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Very little chance either hit open market. You have to deal with reality and reality is its the Lindholm and Stevenson's that tend to hit FA. Lindholm will be a too 2C on Boston meaning if you can sign Stevenson that means Coyle's or Stephenson is your 3C and you have really strong Center depth that can survive an injury to the top 3C.

If we are looking at improving the top 6, Stephenson may be a cheaper option than Lindholm. Ideally the Bruins get a center, but if they are looking at wingers, Bertuzzi worked really well with Zacha and Pastrnak and is a known line that worked. It remains to be seen if Bertuzzi decides to re-sign with the Leafs though since they have been discussing an extension. If the Bruins are willing to spend $8M+ in free agency, I think they would be better off looking at someone like Guentzel than Lindholm at that cap hit. Teräväinen would also be interesting.

Second tier to me would be re-signing DeBrusk or looking at someone like Domi, who may also re-sign with the Leafs. If the Bruins want to add a veteran, Stamkos or Kane could be options, but those two kind of go against what the Bruins want to do this offseason by getting faster and potentially more physical.

Worst case scenario, I have mentioned it here, but I wouldn't mind seeing Poitras get a look between Zacha and Pastrnak. He has played with both of them last season.

Bruins could also try targeting a top 6 LW or C via trade. Overall I do think the Bruins need to add at least two top 6F this offseason.

Could be, but Miller and Peterson can always play wing.
They aren't moving Miller or Pettersonn to wing to make Lindholm happy, come on man.

Last edited:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Lindholm is a very solid two-way center iceman, who only once in his career has averaged at least a point a game and that year was 21-22 when he was playing with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, who had 104 and 115 respectively, Lindholm had 82 in 82 games.

I like him as a perfect number two center. (In 818 career games he has 557 points.) Would love him as a Bruin, but am I'm going to over pay for him just because I have the cap space and the need for a number one center? The answer is no, I'd rather go the trade route, and if there's nothing there be patient don't enter the world of cap hell over a Elias Lindholm. Like I said I like the player a lot, but Im not throwing anything more than 6.5 his way.
But he also had 78 points in 81 games in 2019

47 in 56 in the shortened 2021 season

64 in 80 the year after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left when he was playing with...Toffoli? Huberdeau was awful that year. Kadri and Backlund the next two best players all played center and were on opposite lines.

A lot of people said similar things about Trocheck when he signed in NYR...had one almost ppg year in Florida, battled some injuries, never really fit in Carolina and now fans want him as their captain.

Lindholm for certain cannot drive his own line because he'll likely end up in that 50-60 point range as we saw playing without those guys in 21-22 but playing with talent he can be a ppg two-way center, which is exactly what this team needs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Leader
Icon
Lover of pets
Zero ego

Marchy - Coyle- DeBrusk
Beecher - Bo- Braz
Poitras
Lauko

Lindholm 6/45-48
DeBrusk 6/40
Heinen 3/8.25

Should not pay Lindholm 8 mil a year, will soon regret that signing. The Bruins cannot get the center they want at without overpaying than focus on top wingers that are worth signing, centers are important but you do not overpay at one position to say I did my job I got a #1 C.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
If none of the top available centers make it to FA then the Bruins should strengthen their wingers and D. The Bruins took the likely SC winner to 6 games, could easily have gone to 7 games if not for some awful officiating in game 4. No need for the Bruins to be held hostage for a center when their are other ways to improve the team.
This should be the plan anyway IMO. Don't fixate on adding a center so hard that you end up adding a worse player just cause they play down the middle. Adding someone like Ehlers or Guentzel that produce at elite 5v5 rates and can play with Pasta almost certainly has a more positive impact on this team then adding someone like Lindholm.

Just get the best players possible to plug into the top 6, if that means keeping Coyle and Zacha as your top 2 centers again then I'm personally fine with that.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I like him as a perfect number two center. (In 818 career games he has 557 points.) Would love him as a Bruin, but am I'm going to over pay for him just because I have the cap space and the need for a number one center? The answer is no, I'd rather go the trade route, and if there's nothing there be patient don't enter the world of cap hell over a Elias Lindholm. Like I said I like the player a lot, but Im not throwing anything more than 6.5 his way.

you don’t have a lot of time to be patient, though. Pasta is 28. Marchand clearly on the decline. Aside from all the 1 year contract UFAs the whole team in the their prime right now (sans Poitras, Lorhei, Lysell, Merkulov of whom not all will hit).

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I came across this thread on the main board a couple days ago and found it interesting:

Edit: not that specific post - just the thread in general lol.
I saw that as well. There was one poster with a take that was quite silly. Essentially, Hossa brought three cups to Chicago and Chara only brought one to Boston. Therefore, Hossa was a better ufa signing.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This should be the plan anyway IMO. Don't fixate on adding a center so hard that you end up adding a worse player just cause they play down the middle. Adding someone like Ehlers or Guentzel that produce at elite 5v5 rates and can play with Pasta almost certainly has a more positive impact on this team then adding someone like Lindholm.

Just get the best players possible to plug into the top 6, if that means keeping Coyle and Zacha as your top 2 centers again then I'm personally fine with that.
Centers are more important that wings so guys like Lindholm and Stevenson impact a game in their own zone more than Guentzel ever will. Further Lindholm is a good FO guy and we all saw what happened at the dot with Boston.

I saw that as well. There was one poster with a take that was quite silly. Essentially, Hossa brought three cups to Chicago and Chara only brought one to Boston. Therefore, Hossa was a better ufa signing.
Its not a terrible take when you see what Chicago's centers were behind Toews.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
But he also had 78 points in 81 games in 2019

47 in 56 in the shortened 2021 season

64 in 80 the year after Gaudreau and Tkachuk left when he was playing with...Toffoli? Huberdeau was awful that year. Kadri and Backlund the next two best players all played center and were on opposite lines.

A lot of people said similar things about Trocheck when he signed in NYR...had one almost ppg year in Florida, battled some injuries, never really fit in Carolina and now fans want him as their captain.

Lindholm for certain cannot drive his own line because he'll likely end up in that 50-60 point range as we saw playing without those guys in 21-22 but playing with talent he can be a ppg two-way center, which is exactly what this team needs
If the Bruins can sign Lindholm for what Trochek makes or a even a million more Im all In. Im just not in favor of paying him 8 mil plus for over the next 7-8 yrs, just because he would slot in as are number one center. If im over paying for a player its because he's a superstar and down the road that deal will eventually look like a bargain.

Reactions: ylekot and bruins19

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Leader
Icon
Lover of pets
Zero ego

Marchy - Coyle- DeBrusk
Beecher - Bo- Braz
Poitras
Lauko

Lindholm 6/45-48
DeBrusk 6/40
Heinen 3/8.25

Who knows?

FA possibilities are as hard to decipher as whether or not any of your posts are serious, tongue in cheek or a combination of the two.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
you don’t have a lot of time to be patient, though. Pasta is 28. Marchand clearly on the decline. Aside from all the 1 year contract UFAs the whole team in the their prime right now (sans Poitras, Lorhei, Lysell, Merkulov of whom not all will hit).
I hear what your saying, but why overpay for a lindholm ? Who knows what's available in the trade market or who may become available in the near future. Lindholm is a 7 mil player at best, I just wouldn't go over that price.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Should not pay Lindholm 8 mil a year, will soon regret that signing. The Bruins cannot get the center they want at without overpaying than focus on top wingers that are worth signing, centers are important but you do not overpay at one position to say I did my job I got a #1 C.

Obviously only one projection, but if the cap goes up to 92 or so million in 25/26 as projected here, 8 million for a guy who allows players to slot properly in the lineup is important and affordable.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
They aren't moving Miller or Pettersonn to wing to make Lindholm happy, come on man.
Then explain why the Canucks are offering him $7M AAV to play on the 3rd line?
Bo Horvat just signed for 8x8.5 one year younger than Lindholm. Lindholm asking for 7x8.5 is totally reasonable.
It is reasonable. He is a two-way center and has performed really well with elite wingers, which the Bruins have. I'm just unsure if he will move the needle that much, especially if teams out there might cause a bidding war by offering more AAV.
He’s getting 7.5 here maybe 8

He must have something to turn down beautiful Vancouver and EP and the most underrated player in hockey JT Miller as teammates

Likely Bruins

Not liking 7 years or even 6 but only money and Dollar Store Donny one of best in cap management (sorry 25 dudes but he is)
I feel like we have heard his name rumored on this board as a potential target for the Bruins since he was with Carolina. Sweeney obviously likes the player. Out of the free agent centers available this off-season, I have said he would be the perfect center to pair with Poitras in the top 6. For the Bruins' sake, let's hope he's looking at potential fits with teams moreso than banking the largest check possible.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I hear what your saying, but why overpay for a lindholm ? Who knows what's available in the trade market or who may become available in the near future. Lindholm is a 7 mil player at best, I just wouldn't go over that price.

I just think we have the wrong list of what UFAs are gonna cost now in our head. Bo Horvat got 8.5. Larkin got 8.7. Lindholm is in the same tier as those guys.

I think it’s time start talking about the Pastrnak window. We had the Chara window and the Bergeron window. At 28, how many years left does Pasta have as the best player on a Cup team? 3? 4?

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad