Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Sweeney can not be in discussions with anyone's side right now

I still don't want to commit to Monahan and that injury history for 5-7 years
Technically correct. Must wait to July 1. But, have you ever wondered why there are FA signing announcements a few minutes after midnight?

Monahan scored 59 points over 83 games this past season alleviating some concerns over his health.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Technically correct. Rules say you must wait until July 1. But have you ever wondered why, a few minutes after the opening gun, there are FA signing announcements?
Monahan would be the fallback position and, most likely, a 2C on this roster.

But he will be a very expensive 2C, and will need to be signed long term. Like I look at players and all have a risk of severe injury or skill drop off as they age. For some that maybe be a 5% risk. I look at Monahan as almost a 50% risk given his track record

In terms of signings most of the bigger ones take at least a few hours. nd both the teams and the agents walk in knowing who they value, what they are willing to offer, and what their fall back plan is.

The player of course knows where they want, or are willing to go if they cant get what they want

Reactions: Gordoff

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
But he will be a very expensive 2C, and will need to be signed long term. Like I look at players and all have a risk of severe injury or skill drop off as they age. For some that maybe be a 5% risk. I look at Monahan as almost a 50% risk given his track record

In terms of signings most of the bigger ones take at least a few hours. nd both the teams and the agents walk in knowing who they value, what they are willing to offer, and what their fall back plan is.

The player of course knows where they want, or are willing to go if they cant get what they want
Good points. There is a rumor that the Canucks have offered Lindholm a seven year contract at seven million per. And, accordinto reports, Lindholm’s family loves it in Vancouver. That would be hard for Sweeney to beat.
So, some kind of Plan B will have to be considered. Monahan may turn to be too expensive as well.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He's got a total of 3 goals in his last three playoff pushes (40 games).

Carlo had 3 this year.

If they're going to pay big for someone it's got to be for a guy who is nails in the playoffs - big physical defenseman who elevates their game.
Season before last he had 18 goals. Last season 13.

His playoff stats:

7-18-25 and +13 in 76 games

Pretty good, really.

Hes a great player, Bruins added some PK and nasty in Peeke, but the Bruins lack highend offense and a true shot threat on the blue line, maybe they let Lohrei continue to take that role over or they try to add in the short term. if you add Skjei you have to either get rid of Lindholm or replace Carlo with offense on the right side.

Frustratingly Charlie has the offense in him but he never wants to be the shot, always wants to pass. Sometimes he frees himself and rushes into the slot or down to the net and its amazing. well see what happens.

Why is that?

Reactions: Kegs

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Season before last he had 18 goals. Last season 13.

His playoff stats:

7-18-25 and +13 in 76 games

Pretty good, really.

Why is that?
bruins need to spend on high end offense, its the biggest weakness on the team. They can fit a couple 7million+ contracts this year but Id prefer them be up front.

Reactions: Bodit9

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Good points. There is a rumor that the Canucks have offered Lindholm a seven year contract at seven million per. And, accordinto reports, Lindholm’s family loves it in Vancouver. That would be hard for Sweeney to beat.
So, some kind of Plan B will have to be considered. Monahan may turn to be too expensive as well.

If none of the top available centers make it to FA then the Bruins should strengthen their wingers and D. The Bruins took the likely SC winner to 6 games, could easily have gone to 7 games if not for some awful officiating in game 4. No need for the Bruins to be held hostage for a center when their are other ways to improve the team.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I keep thinking Saros is older than he is...

I keep thinking he's like 31-32 at least. (Not that it's old or anything)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I don't really want Chickie. He's not exactly a beast, and that's what I want back there. He also has a significant injury history, if I recall correctly.

I want a first round draft selection or even that number 10 from New Jersey for Ullmark. If Ottawa is that desperate for goaltending, maybe they will combine a first and Chicken Man.

So you clear the cap, you get a high draft selection, and you can use that 5 million plus to pay Swayman and land a decent center with your aggregate cap space. And that's about all you're going to get, someone decent, not great. Maybe not even a genuine 1C.

Chandler Stephenson.

I also remain intrigued by Necas; his age, his upside He can play wing and center, provided he's good enough. He also has something to prove, feeling he deserves and expanded role. A chip on the shoulder is never a bad thing.

Lindholm does not really do it for me, but I understand he would fill a need. He's not going to drive a line. It's worth adding, however, that when he was traded from Calgary, he was dealing with an injury. He played very well in the playoffs and scored some crucial goals for Vancouver.

I would still like Brendan Dillon on D. Mark Divver speaks highly of him; his League sources have nothing but good things to say about his character and play.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Dominican red beans
If none of the top available centers make it to FA then the Bruins should strengthen their wingers and D. The Bruins took the likely SC winner to 6 games, could easily have gone to 7 games if not for some awful officiating in game 4. No need for the Bruins to be held hostage for a center when there are other ways to improve the team.
May also give an opportunity for our center prospects Merkulov and Poitras to get their feet wet in the bottom six.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Nice to See Brad drop like 6 years off his age, Hell he might be worth signing to a 5 year contract before he hits Free agency.

Yeah I was wondering what the numbers are, and assuming age. Taylor Hall sure isn't 29 anymore either, nor is Benn 30.

Funny I look at the goalie list, and I'd bet Allen, and Anderson are the only ones who becomes a FA

Reactions: TCB

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I think they need one more legitimate top 6 guy, two if Debrusk leaves. I like Marchessault and Mantha for the 2nd line right wing. If Debrusk leaves, I’d like them both put Mantha with Zach & Pasta, and March with March & Coyle. Then re-up Heinen and have a third line of Heinen, Freddy, and Geekie. I know a lot of people don’t like Maroon, but I think he’s perfect for the 4th line to rotate with Lauko, Beech, and Brazeau.

On defense, I want a physical presence, I thought Edmundson looked good, and would slot well with Peeke on the third pairing, with Wotherspoon the 7th man.

Not sure what Ullmark would return and that might change my picks a little bit, but I’d be fine with picks and/or prospects too.

Last edited:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If none of the top available centers make it to FA then the Bruins should strengthen their wingers and D. The Bruins took the likely SC winner to 6 games, could easily have gone to 7 games if not for some awful officiating in game 4. No need for the Bruins to be held hostage for a center when their are other ways to improve the team.
Imo though you need Centers to win it all in this league. Top centers not three number three's. Bill Zito was interviewed today by NHL network and he was asked, is there anyone who helped you along the way and gave you some good advice, his answer was Ken Holland. He said, he told me to load up on Centers.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
True, but until the playoffs, he was playing 3C, so he wouldn't re-sign with them for that role. They did move him up to 2C in the playoffs, but b/c Pettersson was so horrible.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I like this but I'd prefer to use some of our cap and get a 2C and slide Coyle down a line to play with Lysell and Freddy.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Zegras-Debrusk
Freddy-Coyle-Lysell
Olivier-Beecher-Brazeau
Boqvist

Trade Ullmark for a 1st + ????
Trade 1st + Merkulov + Geekie for Zegras
Olivier for Lauko
We'd be fairly tight against the cap in this scenario.
Swayman (7 mill) Lindholm (7 mill) Debrusk (5 mill) Zegras (5.5 mill) Olivier (1.1 mill) Bussi (1 mill)
Out: Ullmark (-5 mill) Geekie (-2 mill) Lauko (-787.5K)
Net: 18.8
Disclaimer: Debrusk and Lindholm very team friendly contracts. Swayman 8yrs X7 would be ideal!
Donny already got my blueprint

DeBrusk & Heinen high character accountable mature team guys

Zegras is like a teenager who needs curfew - pass

Lysell & zegras Lol

You want to kill Marshy & Monty

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yeah I was wondering what the numbers are, and assuming age. Taylor Hall sure isn't 29 anymore either, nor is Benn 30.

Funny I look at the goalie list, and I'd bet Allen, and Anderson are the only ones who becomes a FA
I deleted my post but I think the ages may have been when their contracts were signed, just guessing though.

Edit: nevermind. :laugh:

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Yea until they re-up with their current team. I really believe the only way Sweeney going to get a true number one center over night is to trade for one, they just don't hit the open Market that frequently.
Totally understand the situation.
I made a post a couple of weeks ago saying that whomever we get from free agency this summer will likely be our 2C the following season.
2024-25 is likely going to be another transition season.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I keep forgetting the team has Brazeau, who could make a push to be a regular on the third or fourth line RW if he comes into camp and shows the team more of how he played during his callup stint.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I keep forgetting the team has Brazeau, who could make a push to be a regular on the third or fourth line RW if he comes into camp and shows the team more of how he played during his callup stint.
I’m sure he is already penciled in.

Reactions: sarge88

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
I’m sure he is already penciled in.
The Front office said they want to get faster, Brazeau doesn't achieve that, nothing against his contributions to the team. I wish him the best none the less!

Reactions: Ratty

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
I would love to see Bruins make a run at Nashville winger Zachary L”Heureux. He played for Milwaukee in the AHL.He had 19 goals 29 assists & 197 PIMS. He’s leading the playoffs in scoring & PIMS. He was a 1st round in 2021. 27th overall.This kid was born to be a BRUIN.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Totally understand the situation.
I made a post a couple of weeks ago saying that whomever we get from free agency this summer will likely be our 2C the following season.
2024-25 is likely going to be another transition season.
Whomever they sign for sure, I just hope Sweeney is patient and doesn't go on a spending spree without addressing the number one center issue. You just never know when one might become available and it would be nice to have some cap space available when and if it occurs.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad