Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You make it sound like arbitration is some form of punishment, or like it is unheard of that it happens. It is a normal part of the process. The Bruins were unable to make a longterm offer, and remember the Bruins chose to only make it a 1 year deal because they wanted the ability to give Swayman the bag this offseason.
So arbitration is all shit and giggles. Got it.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
there's an inordinate amount of hostility underpinning these forums - or maybe it's humanity and this is just a microcosm

people are a lot less shitty if they're forced to converse face to face

A former politician said on a podcast recently that they originally used the internet to organize people for the purpose of getting them together in real life

somewhere along the line it went from that to just being purely online. Take that as you will

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
The free agent class in 2026 will be really interesting. Many super star players, especially McDavid, Eichel and Makar, may be available with a bit of luck. It could be very tempting, especially for Eichel, to play at home (yes I know, Hanifin blah blah blah). I would never in my life waste my entire cap space without foresight just to use it. I've read several times that the cap is rising and it doesn't matter if you throw money around now. I don't see it that way at all. You should still use it carefully, as if you barely have any cap space available.
Just seems silly to not grab players now because somebody may or may not be on the market in two years. It’s been floated that by next summer, the cap being at 92million is a conservative estimate. That’s potentially a Lindholm contract difference increase in cap space in just two summers. You can always trade players if you need space, and players can bring in return.

Sitting on your hands for a couple years and then striking out because said potential free agents saw that you didn’t built a mediocre roster for them to sign onto the past couple years seems like a nightmare.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I mean, Lorhei has a healthy list of questions for himself as well.
Of course, but Lohrei has also played 159 less games so there is room for growth there. That's not to say Zegras can't grow his game, but he needs to work on his faceoffs and two-way game if he wants to play center in this league. The question is, is he willing to? Maybe he would on a team with a culture and veteran presence.

I still think there a lot of questions regarding Zegras' overall game. The Bruins' system at defense is barren after Lohrei. If the scouting team thinks Zegras can be that #1C, and the Bruins can get a Chychrun or Kylington, then it may make sense depending on what else is going in the deal.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Just seems silly to not grab players now because somebody may or may not be on the market in two years. It’s been floated that by next summer, the cap being at 92million is a conservative estimate. That’s potentially a Lindholm contract difference increase in cap space in just two summers. You can always trade players if you need space, and players can bring in return.

Sitting on your hands for a couple years and then striking out because said potential free agents saw that you didn’t built a mediocre roster for them to sign onto the past couple years seems like a nightmare.

What I meant was that you shouldn't sign a free agent just because he's the best thing available. If you are convinced of a player, you will of course overpay for him if you really want him, but you should consider whether the player is really worth it. Sweeney did the center by commitee for some time. Now I wouldn't overpay for the first best center available in terms of cap and term if something better is on the horizon. Try to stay flexible.

Reactions: The Un4casted Storm

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
For the love of Orr people, please recognize Lohrei’s potential moving forward before suggesting we trade him for zegras who is closer to a Globetrotter with future PLD syndrome than Boston Bruin material.

Lohrei is going to be an absolute unicorn in two years given the way these playoffs just went. He obviously has speed, creativity, and hands. After he fills in and gets his sea legs… he will be on posters on kids walls from Louisiana to Boston.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
For the love of Orr people, please recognize Lohrei’s potential moving forward before suggesting we trade him for zegras who is closer to a Globetrotter with future PLD syndrome than Boston Bruin material.

Lohrei is going to be an absolute unicorn in two years given the way these playoffs just went. He obviously has speed, creativity, and hands. After he fills in and gets his sea legs… he will be on posters on kids walls from Louisiana to Boston.
Yeah, f*** this. Even the thought of moving him for Zegras makes me want to vomit.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This could be good news for the Bruins, as I don't ever recall these two being right about any rumor they've put out there.
Anyone worried the bruins are left with 2 starting goaltenders to start the season? Taking up $13 mil in cap space?

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Middleton -- but it would be Middleton + to get Carlo.

They bring different things, and I love toughness -- but Carlo is a better player.

Carlo is a better player, at a harder to find different position, and signed for an additional season. Nothing against Middleton, but who is your #2 RHD at that point , Peeke? And who is #3 Regula or playing Wotherspoon on his off side.

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
This could be good news for the Bruins, as I don't ever recall these two being right about any rumor they've put out there.
Flip side, the best thing that could happen for the Bruins regarding Ullmark, is that a team overpays for somebody worse/older like Markstrom first, and sets the market value for #1 goalies this summer. Not saying we can’t work with NJD, only Sweeney, Ullmark and his agent can really decide that.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Anyone worried the bruins are left with 2 starting goaltenders to start the season? Taking up $13 mil in cap space?
Who's looking for goalies ?
Ottawa, Jersey ,Kings, Colorado, and the Canes am I missing anyone ?
Supposedly Linus had all the west coast teams on his No trade list a year ago. Could he and his agent decide to put all these Teams who are currently looking for a Goalie on his No trade list ? When does his new list have to be in by ? July 1?

He says he wants to stay and loves it in Boston, but I don't think he would go that far. So that would leave Jersey, the Sens and the Canes.In a perfect world One each for Linus, Markstrom and Saros, but more than likely all of those 3 teams don't come away with a goalie, so yea there's a chance he could return at least to start the season, on top of that linus Contract expires at season end so any team who trades for him, I'm sure would want some sort of extension in place. So yea Id say there's a chance but I Highly doubt Sweeney lets that happen, Im sure there's a big game of cat and mouse going on right now among fellow GM's, Hopefully Sweeney plays a winning hand in all of this and he's able to land a top 10 pick.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Of course, but Lohrei has also played 159 less games so there is room for growth there. That's not to say Zegras can't grow his game, but he needs to work on his faceoffs and two-way game if he wants to play center in this league. The question is, is he willing to? Maybe he would on a team with a culture and veteran presence.

I still think there a lot of questions regarding Zegras' overall game. The Bruins' system at defense is barren after Lohrei. If the scouting team thinks Zegras can be that #1C, and the Bruins can get a Chychrun or Kylington, then it may make sense depending on what else is going in the deal.

Yeah, for sure. They know way more than we do about Zegras the person vs Zegras the narrative. Remember the Seguin narrative? People grow up. Maybe he is irredeemable at 22, maybe he isn't. I hope the front office is turning over every stone and every offer, even if involves moving some sacred cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad