Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
The free agent class in 2026 will be really interesting. Many super star players, especially McDavid, Eichel and Makar, may be available with a bit of luck. It could be very tempting, especially for Eichel, to play at home (yes I know, Hanifin blah blah blah). I would never in my life waste my entire cap space without foresight just to use it. I've read several times that the cap is rising and it doesn't matter if you throw money around now. I don't see it that way at all. You should still use it carefully, as if you barely have any cap space available.
You cannot save cap space on the premise of a player being a UFA in a year or two. Top players will either get signed by their current team (most likely scenario) or traded to a team that will sign them. McDavid's, Eichel's, Makar's almost never make it to free agency.

You then have a ton of cap space (which I am sure would make JJ happy) and an inferior team from what you could and should have. Elias Lindholm and Chandler Stephenson are far from my first, second or third choices to be Boston's top line center but they are the best options available. Spend your cap space, fill the holes you need to fill as well as you can and move forward. My priorities for this team haven't changed. two top 6 centers, a tough, physical top 4 D or top 6 at worst and tough speedy bottom six forwards.

Lindholm and Stephenson fill those center holes, Brendan Dillon fills the D hole, two of Sherwood, Duhaime, Carrick, Lomberg or Maroon fill the grit in the bottom 6. You move Ullmark for picks and you have money to fill all of these holes using your cap space knowing what you are getting not gambling on who will reach free agency next year.

It's similar to the logic of "we'll trade player x for picks and we may get somebody as good as player x" you have that player, why move somebody for a lottery ticket? The Ullmark situation being different to save cap space and they already have a number 1 in Swayman.

Would you include Lohrei in a trade for Zegras? They're the same age.
I would include Lohrei in a trade but not for Zegras, not a fan of the player

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Ullmark for Chychrun (potentially with Ullmark ending up elsewhere because of NTCs) and then Frederic + Lorhei as a base for Zegras. Would you do it?
Not sure Frederic gets it done but let's say Ullmark for a pick, Lohrei and a pick for Zegras. Lot of possibilities there. Anaheim could retain for 2 years, would allow them to add a 2nd C or a wing and a LD, and Zegras's deal would end when Coyle's does.

Sure he might be a little immature and he has some things to work on but weren't they just on the brink of trading for Pierre-Luc Dubois? A winning culture and a strong leadership group go a long way. Buy low and get the benefit of the change of scenery for once.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ullmark for Chychrun (potentially with Ullmark ending up elsewhere because of NTCs) and then Frederic + Lorhei as a base for Zegras. Would you do it?

I don't want to give Chychrun 8/68. So no I am not making that deal. I'd rather spin Chychrun off to a 3rd team, an probably get more.

Also don't really see zegras as the Bruins answer

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not sure Frederic gets it done but let's say Ullmark for a pick, Lohrei and a pick for Zegras. Lot of possibilities there. Anaheim could retain for 2 years, would allow them to add a 2nd C or a wing and a LD, and Zegras's deal would end when Coyle's does.

Sure he might be a little immature and he has some things to work on but weren't they just on the brink of trading for Pierre-Luc Dubois? A winning culture and a strong leadership group go a long way. Buy low and get the benefit of the change of scenery for once.

Well now if you trade ullmark and Lohrei for Zegras then you suddenly need to go out an spend a sizeable amount of money to go get a LHD in Free Agency.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Only if Swayman contract demands are over the top. It is worth noting Swayman did take the bruins to arbitration so it's no slam dunk for Sweeney.
A Swayman long term deal between 7 and 8 is perfect. If not, Ullmark is a pretty darn good back up plan.

You make it sound like arbitration is some form of punishment, or like it is unheard of that it happens. It is a normal part of the process. The Bruins were unable to make a longterm offer, and remember the Bruins chose to only make it a 1 year deal because they wanted the ability to give Swayman the bag this offseason.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Next Summers UFA list of forwards as of right now. I’d imagine by the time 2025 trade deadline roles around a good percentage of these under 30y.o players are signed by their existing team. It’s nice to dream, but it would be pretty wild for EDM to not re-sign Drai, so centers are looking pretty slim. Anybody thinking we should wait on signing a center and to roll with what we have especially with cap going up…idk

One player lower down in this list (sorted by salary) I’d be curious about is Vilardi. I wanted bruins to link up for a trade with LA back when they had both Byfield (preferred, but probably a pipe dream now) and Vilardi. I’m curious, if Ullmark nets us a 1st +, could we package it with Frederic or Geekie for Vilardi? Likely need to add another pick or prospect but it would be a perfect acquisition honestly cost wise, because you can still bring in a Lindholm/Stephenson and a winger. Poitras isn’t needed right away but can always push Coyle to wing and roll Lindholm, Vilardi, and Poitras down the middle, with Pasta, Marchand, Zacha, Coyle, Geekie as guaranteed top 9 wingers. Scenario also opens up Coyle as a valuable trade chip not far down the road depending on the development of Poitras and Merkulov.

If only.
Who in their right mind wastes their entire careeer in Edmonton as #2 star? He’d lose a ton in marketing opportunities.

Well now if you trade ullmark and Lohrei for Zegras then you suddenly need to go out a spend a sizeable amount of money to go get a LHD in Free Agency.
Donnie wouldn’t give them both for Zegras imo. Teams been awful and he’s iffy.

I think him and Pasternak would be good but he can probably be had for less. Coyle and Ullmark plus a pick would be my guess.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The free agent class in 2026 will be really interesting. Many super star players, especially McDavid, Eichel and Makar, may be available with a bit of luck. It could be very tempting, especially for Eichel, to play at home (yes I know, Hanifin blah blah blah). I would never in my life waste my entire cap space without foresight just to use it. I've read several times that the cap is rising and it doesn't matter if you throw money around now. I don't see it that way at all. You should still use it carefully, as if you barely have any cap space available.

You have Coyle coming off the cap then. If you extend Marchand for a year, then he lines up well there as well. Assume there may be a 2 year deal or 2 this season, and will the cap likely to go up again a few million more, the Bruins should have 10-12 million available to spend, and they have guys like Zacha who would be easily moved for value if they wanted.

I am not worried. If 2026 come and McDavid, Eichel or Makar want to come to Boston, the Bruins will be able to find a was to get the 15 million annually it might cost

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

Didn't want PLD either, however Mason MacTavish I have no problem giving a bit more for.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
there's an inordinate amount of hostility underpinning these forums - or maybe it's humanity and this is just a microcosm
Likely both.

Toxicity is rampant on these boards, very likely why some of the better posters on this board don't post anymore. There are a few, such as yourself, that I stop and read when you post because you aren't toxic like that.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Well now if you trade ullmark and Lohrei for Zegras then you suddenly need to go out an spend a sizeable amount of money to go get a LHD in Free Agency.
Realistically with Lohrei they'd need a guy they could flip between the 1st and 3rd pair based on the matchup and Lohrei's performance. Trade him and they can find the right partner for McAvoy or Carlo and be done with it.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Who in their right mind wastes their entire careeer in Edmonton as #2 star? He’d lose a ton in marketing opportunities.

Donnie wouldn’t give them both for Zegras imo. Teams been awful and he’s iffy.

I think him and Pasternak would be good but he can probably be had for less. Coyle and Ullmark plus a pick would be my guess.
Coyle and Ullmark I would do for Zegras

• Wow
Reactions: Hookslide

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Regarding Zegras, is he viewed long-term as a center or a winger, is he willing to learn and adapt to take it to the next level, and is he a coachable player?

Those are some big questions to be giving up what could be a cornerstone defenseman in Lohrei.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Regarding Zegras, is he viewed long-term as a center or a winger, is he willing to learn and adapt to take it to the next level, and is he a coachable player?

Those are some big questions to be giving up what could be a cornerstone defenseman in Lohrei.

I mean, Lorhei has a healthy list of questions for himself as well.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Coyle and Ullmark I would do for Zegras
Coyle should have solid value he’s reliable affordable 2 years vs 1 and 8 team NTC.

It’s probably the right time to move on for everyone next summer he’s going to expect an extension.

We still have Zacha if Poitras struggles.

It’s been a good run for all parties but Coyle isn’t putting us over the top at this point.

Unfortunately he’s likely in the Bruin for life club and will get extended with a horrible deal next summer.

Reactions: Fenian24

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Coyle should have solid value he’s reliable affordable 2 years vs 1 and 8 team NTC.

It’s probably the right time to move on for everyone next summer he’s going to expect an extension.

We still have Zacha if Poitras struggles.

It’s been a good run for all parties but Coyle isn’t putting us over the top at this point.

Unfortunately he’s likely in the Bruin for life club and will get extended with a horrible deal next summer.

It's possible. I would move coyle in the right deal for a younger player if the opportunity arises.

But at the same time i am not looking to move Coyle. I actually think there is value in having his expiring contract in 2026, in an offseason they might be looking at the possibility of wanting cap space for a free agent.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The boards always been filled with some snark, and the GDT has always and will always have that as emotions are high.

Now you can’t scroll through a single page of posts without seeing something demeaning no matter what the thread.

Ignore is your friend. I've found that the ignore applied to 3 or 4 individuals clears up 95% of the BS. Gaps in the logic of a thread is a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad