Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Got those who know of Stan Makita history that is my model

From agitstor highly penalized to winning Lady Bynge all while remaining an elite star

Thanks to everyone who supports my journey
Maybe taking on a dual personality here would be in order. Don't forget DKH, Mikita only dressed for 2 games in 72 for Team Canada while Bobby Clarke dressed for all 8 and had 6 points and an ankle.

Reactions: Gordoff and DKH

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
You’re really trying hard here to be right about a point that @BruinDust didn’t make.

And citing generational players like Ovechkin and Crosby as well as former a hart trophy winner like Perry as “evidence” is just making his point about exceptions
I could probably list hundreds of exceptions off the top of my head outside those three guys that have played great hockey after the age of 34…just like he could probably list hundreds that fell off a cliff. It’s a case by case thing not an exact number.

My point is ignoring the FA market of any player over the age of 34 like he said is beyond ridiculous and that there can be great value found in those 35+ contracts

Also slightly my point…Bruins could use a few more vets. I’m not saying they give Jagr a call but they need more mental toughness and it’s typically found through players with experience

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think it's more than that. But in principle? I don't think you're wrong. They are not far off.

They have a franchise player at every level. There's size throughout the lineup. There is an established culture that is enviable. Most of the hard work? It's done.

But the roster needs some more jostle. Jam, speed and more skill are all required on the top six (three additions there.) Speed and aggression for the fourth line. And two players for the blueline: a playmaker and someone who plays with some brutality.

It's a bit of roster turn, but fundamentally? This is all very doable. This is not a ground-up rebuild. The only player potentially approaching having a bad deal is Charlie Coyle and hell - it ain't bad. It's just if you expect him to be a better fit for the third line when you have other, cheaper options for that same slot.

Sweeney plays this offseason right, I could see a Bruins team with the best shot at winning since 2011. Will or can he? That's where my hesitation lies.

Expecting Sweeney to be able to aff 3 top 6 players with speed , jam, and more skill, plus 4th liners, plus 2 defensemen is unrealistic to say the least. You are basically asking Sweeney to draw to an inside straight, and really longer shot than that.

As it would mean convincing people to take less money to come to Boston, and doing it 5 times over, in a market with very few good free agents, and an ridiculous number of teams with an insane amount of money to spend. And yeah trading Ullmark might get you one of those pieces, but that's about it

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Those of you slotting more than 3 new starting forwards in the forward group (and I don't count Poitras or Lysell) are going to be disappointed in July.

I understand the sentiment, but you're going to be disappointed.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Those of you slotting more than 3 new forwards in the forward group (and I don't count Poitras or Lysell) are going to be disappointed in July.

Yeah, I think best case is the add a top 6 C, and either bring back Debrusk or replace him (sadly with a lesser all around player)

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Yeah, I think best case is the add a top 6 C, and either bring back Debrusk or replace him (sadly with a lesser all around player)

Well it looks to be a bit more than that. There are actual slots to fill from aging UFAs (JVR, Maroon, etc), so I do reliably count 3 spots if Debrusk isn't back. But it'll take some EA sports trade to open up a bunch more. Lauko seems like he needs a new home potentially, but he's not in my 12F next year anyway.

Boqvist is the guy I'm confused about. You want him back and there's more there. But if you bring him back it may just be TWO spots open (in the top 12) for new blood, and ONE if you bring back Debrusk. Seems like too little change to me. A team this challenged to score goals (vs FLA) needs to bring in a solid 70g's worth of scoring across all those spots to my liking (with upside for more).

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Those of you slotting more than 3 new starting forwards in the forward group (and I don't count Poitras or Lysell) are going to be disappointed in July.

Just in FA alone there should be more than three new starting forwards as I see the bruins bringing back no more than one of JVR, Jake, Heinen or Maroon. Add to that a possible deal involving another forward imo its over 3 but it could go either way. lol

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Expecting Sweeney to be able to aff 3 top 6 players with speed , jam, and more skill, plus 4th liners, plus 2 defensemen is unrealistic to say the least. You are basically asking Sweeney to draw to an inside straight, and really longer shot than that.

As it would mean convincing people to take less money to come to Boston, and doing it 5 times over, in a market with very few good free agents, and an ridiculous number of teams with an insane amount of money to spend. And yeah trading Ullmark might get you one of those pieces, but that's about it
First off, the top six forwards... It's a mix. Not all three have to be all three. But they have to be at least one. I suppose saying that a top six forward has to add skill is redundant. Speed and jam.

Second, I think you lack creativity. It also requires moving some other pieces off of the roster. Pieces that are movable, especially considering the UFA market you describe.

I know that's scary to some people. But running this team back is going to result in a similar result. It's time to make a couple of changes to the makeup.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Just in FA alone there should be more than three new starting forwards as I see the bruins bringing back no more than one of JVR, Jake, Heinen or Maroon. Add to that a possible deal involving another forward imo its over 3 but it could go either way. lol

You didn't list 4 starting players for the Bruins there. In the playoffs those 4 almost never all dressed (like the Shatty version of the D). Like I said it's 3, and if Poitras/Lysell/Jake have one guy make the team's 12F, it could be less...

Brazeau came in and basically stole a spot. That's why all 4 never really started together.

I wonder if they'd pay Boqvist to be 13F. That would be cool with me.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I suspect I know the answer but both are young and cost controlled for another year . What is the trade value of Beecher and Lauko. At present I do not think either has provided enough to justify having them in your top 12 forwards

Mr. Make-Believe

Coyle has outplayed his cap hit every year he gets barely any PP time. People were adamant he could never play above the 3rd line or work with Marchand and the two were great this year. I'd just be worried that he fits the definition of a late bloomer and gets an extension the year after next. We want to get 2 more years and then let him be a UFA and play it out elsewhere no extension.

I think we have enough jam with guys like Freddy and McAvoy (who cant fight) I'd rather go the other way and fill out the roster with skill. Give me a skill 4th line guys like Lysell and Merkulov not scum like Maroon and make a bold trade like Marner for Ullmark.
If we find the right addition for Coyle at second line C that makes it work, I'm fine with that. I don't want to get rid of Coyle because I don't like him. I just don't want a $5M third line pivot when there are many other options currently on the roster, all at half that salary or far less.

Coyle is viable in the top six. But any viable plans I've seen (or come up with) slot him in at three which limits our ability to add elsewhere.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
First off, the top six forwards... It's a mix. Not all three have to be all three. But they have to be at least one. I suppose saying that a top six forward has to add skill is redundant. Speed and jam.

Second, I think you lack creativity. It also requires moving some other pieces off of the roster. Pieces that are movable, especially considering the UFA market you describe.

I know that's scary to some people. But running this team back is going to result in a similar result. It's time to make a couple of changes to the makeup.

Any player you move opens new holes.

Maybe Sweeney can spin a magic web like he did in trading Huala for Zacha

Maybe he can turn Frederick into a better player, or Geekie, or even Coyle.

Could flip Carlo I guess, but that Opens a GAPING hole on the roster, which i don't know how you could replace.

they are limited by the fact they have nothing in the minors which would bring value back, and at the same time have limitations in that they have very little in picks they could move.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Maybe taking on a dual personality here would be in order. Don't forget DKH, Mikita only dressed for 2 games in 72 for Team Canada while Bobby Clarke dressed for all 8 and had 6 points and an ankle.
Makita's production dropped significantly between 1969-70 thru 1971-72 down to 65
points. Might explain it.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Coyle has outplayed his cap hit every year he gets barely any PP time. People were adamant he could never play above the 3rd line or work with Marchand and the two were great this year. I'd just be worried that he fits the definition of a late bloomer and gets an extension the year after next. We want to get 2 more years and then let him be a UFA and play it out elsewhere no extension.

I think we have enough jam with guys like Freddy and McAvoy (who cant fight) I'd rather go the other way and fill out the roster with skill. Give me a skill 4th line guys like Lysell and Merkulov not scum like Maroon and make a bold trade like Marner for Ullmark.
Lysell was called an "independent contractor" by Mark Divver in a video in this thread. Stated he has zero trade value, why should he get a spot on the team?

Florida is one of the toughest teams in the league and the Bruins.....aren't. After a top 6 center and scoring the biggest need for this team to compete in the playoffs is toughness and grit, not going the other way and getting even softer. Skill mixed with toughness is great. Build like Florida, they have the goalie and a good defense, now add a couple top 6 forwards and guys like Duhaime, Dillon, Sherwood not nobodies like Lysell and Merkulov.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I suspect I know the answer but both are young and cost controlled for another year . What is the trade value of Beecher and Lauko. At present I do not think either has provided enough to justify having them in your top 12 forwards

Lauko might get you a late round pick, maybe in the 4-7 range. Beecher's value is more in the 2/3 range.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I could probably list hundreds of exceptions off the top of my head outside those three guys that have played great hockey after the age of 34…just like he could probably list hundreds that fell off a cliff. It’s a case by case thing not an exact number.

My point is ignoring the FA market of any player over the age of 34 like he said is beyond ridiculous and that there can be great value found in those 35+ contracts

Also slightly my point…Bruins could use a few more vets. I’m not saying they give Jagr a call but they need more mental toughness and it’s typically found through players with experience
I think Stephenson fits that bill and he is 30?

Mr. Make-Believe

If the Bruins don't make an effort to improve on what's holding them back and instead run back some version of what we currently see - you're damn skippy I'll be disappointed.

For the record however, I'm only asking for one more than your limit of three.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Lysell was called an "independent contractor" by Mark Divver in a video in this thread. Stated he has zero trade value, why should he get a spot on the team?

Florida is one of the toughest teams in the league and the Bruins.....aren't. After a top 6 center and scoring the biggest need for this team to compete in the playoffs is toughness and grit, not going the other way and getting even softer. Skill mixed with toughness is great. Build like Florida, they have the goalie and a good defense, now add a couple top 6 forwards and guys like Duhaime, Dillon, Sherwood not nobodies like Lysell and Merkulov.
I agree with this but a big part of their success is also Barkov and Tkachuk. The bruins don’t have guys like that and they most likely won’t unless they pick in the top 10. I almost prefer shipping an Ullmark package out for the highest pick you can get in this or any next years draft just to try to find some big talent they probably won’t get through trading or free agency.

Reactions: Fenian24

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Divver is completely irrational about Lysell (and he LOVES Patrick Brown). His hatred of Lysell makes Fenian seem like a Grizz fan by comparison.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You didn't list 4 starting players for the Bruins there. In the playoffs those 4 almost never all dressed (like the Shatty version of the D). Like I said it's 3, and if Poitras/Lysell/Jake have one guy make the team's 12F, it could be less...

Brazeau came in and basically stole a spot. That's why all 4 never really started together.

I wonder if they'd pay Boqvist to be 13F. That would be cool with me.

Jake and Maroon both played all 13 games.

JVR played 11 games, Heinen played 8.

Debrusk, Maroon & JVR all played every game against Florida. Heinen played 3.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I agree with this but a big part of their success is also Barkov and Tkachuk. The bruins don’t have guys like that and they most likely won’t unless they pick in the top 10. I almost prefer shipping an Ullmark package out for the highest pick you can get in this or any next years draft just to try to find some big talent they probably won’t get through trading or free agency.

You're not getting a top 10 pick for Ullmark. And if it's not at least a top 10 pick the odds of getting a big talent are not great.

Mr. Make-Believe

Any player you move opens new holes.

Maybe Sweeney can spin a magic web like he did in trading Huala for Zacha

Maybe he can turn Frederick into a better player, or Geekie, or even Coyle.

Could flip Carlo I guess, but that Opens a GAPING hole on the roster, which i don't know how you could replace.

they are limited by the fact they have nothing in the minors which would bring value back, and at the same time have limitations in that they have very little in picks they could move.
New holes is the goal.

Currently under contract for next season, we have two open spots in the top six and a backup goaltender.

Sign Swayman and Ullmark becomes your backup.

That leaves $12M (give or take) for two top six forwards. And well… a couple of healthy scratches. Essentially assuring some form “running it back.”

One may be okay with that (and I get it). I’m not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad