Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
X- Stephenson
Y- Debrusk
Z - teraveinen

Relatively cheap defensive addition- Ian cole

Would require moving out ullmark for draft picks, don’t bring back heinen, put Geekie on the 4th line and lysell 3rd line RW

Zacha-Stephenson-pasta
Teraveinen-Coyle-Debrusk
Marchand-Frederic-lysell
Geekie-Beecher-brazeau

Lindholm-McAvoy
Lohrei-Carlo
Cole-peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi
dont agree w everything but geekie on the 4th line and lysell on the 3rd is the move imo. if thats the case at the end of the season and they are clicking, thats a playoff look id like to see.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why is that?

Ullmark's still an asset.

Why/how are they paying for giving Ullmark a NMC?

Because management had been trying to move him since at least last offseason and they’ve been unable to do so.

Management has made it pretty clear that they are trying to move on from the goalie duo and use that cap on an every day skater. So they’ll end up spending roughly 40% of duration of his contract trying to trade him and might not be able to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Understood. And generally, I agree.

Sinden and O'Connell were "insiders." See the record.

Peter Chiarelli was an "outsider." See the record.

"Insiders" Cam Neely and Don Sweeney have had NINE years to figure it out. Apparently, they still seek counsel from Harry.

They blow.

Their head coach is not a head coach.

Jim Montgomery is far better suited to the classic "good cop" assistant role, which would also allow his considerable offensive talent to flourish, as it did in St. Louis.

The Boston Bruins, from roster construction to player personal, are so far away from contending/elite status, so far away from teams like NYR/FLA in mental and physical toughness, it isn't true.

If allowed to do so, this management will run the franchise into the ground as surely as Sinden/OC did, and it will be left to Charlie Jacobs to go outside the organization, again, to find someone with no history here, no association with Sinden, no fealty to the old man, and no reason not to reclaim the DNA of Boston Bruins hockey.

Which is precisely what Peter Chiarelli, Claude Julien, and Zdeno Chara -- outsiders all -- did upon their arrival. Everything else flowed from that commitment, transforming a moribund franchise from a joke to a team Bruins fans could believe in with passion, and which NHL clubs had to reckon with.

They had goaltending. They could defend. They could score. And they'd kick your ass in.

In a word, BBB Redux had swagger.

Do you associate Don Sweeney's Bruins teams, in any way, ever, with "swagger"?

Yes, the league has changed, blah blah blah.

Chapter Two includes the reasons why I believe Zdeno would be a superlative General Manager. Eventually.

He's ultra-competitive. I defy anyone to find a more competitive athlete and individual than Zdeno Chara.

He's a proven winner, Stanley Cup champion and future Hall Of Famer. He played with a broken jaw.

As Captain of the Bruins, he discarded the term "rookie" and its demeaning accoutrements, while simultaneously demanding accountability and the very best from all involved.

At 47, his exercise and nutrition regimen remains meticulous and at the forefront of sports science.

He runs marathons. He speaks seven languages fluently.

HIs diet consists mostly of... Plants and seeds.

By all counts Chara is also a great leader and a good man, the person largely responsible for creating the Bruins' vaunted team "culture," a person active in his community.

Finally, he's one smart motherf*cker.

Smart enough to understand the Bruins as presently constituted lack the necessary mettle to be a truly elite team, and smart enough to look outside TD Garden for better results.

He's not a coach.

He's a GM.

Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion,

View attachment 878646
honestly for all the reasons you just listed I think that would make him a better coach than GM. Not saying he wouldn't be a great GM but those examples and his competitiveness are better suited for coaching. Competitiveness carries little value outside of the dressing room in this regard

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
There's a newer version on their site, they revised Swayman down to 6.4 x 5. I think it'll be more.

There are some interesting reclamation projects on there who they don't project to get much more than the minimum, could be next year's Heinen or JVR. They have Heinen getting 2.9x3 which he's earned but I don't think the Bruins should give it to him. There's Kevin Labanc and Alexander Barabanov out of San Jose, Jakub Vrana and Sammy Blais out of St. Louis, Connor Brown in Edmonton, Dominik Kubalik from Ottawa, and of course Derek Forbort who they have at 1yr/1.2m. Brendan Dillon's on there at 2yr/2.8m which isn't bad, but I think they're low on a number of defensemen.

These guys made an interesting point on Reinhart, he was drafted as a center and had some success there in Buffalo but he's been on a lot of center heavy teams. I wonder if he still sees himself as one?
Barabanov and Alec Martinez both at 1.2 is really good value IMO. I also really like Edmundson at 1.7 but I can see him getting at least 2

Barabanov would be the ideal Heinen replacement. I know the rangers and lightning were linked at the trade deadline. He wants to go to a contender. Once he gets out of SJ and starts playing with some higher end talent, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people

Broken finger and COVID during this season didn't help and for what its worth he was stapled to Couture last year and I'm not even sure if he played a single game this year

Sleeper

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Barabanov and Alec Martinez both at 1.2 is really good value IMO.

Martinez is cooked and will be close to 38 years old by the time next years playoffs roll around.

JVR and Shattenkirk looked just fine in the first half of the season. But the longer the season went on, the more the wheels fell off.

Over in Dallas, Pavelski has been a ghost in these playoffs and Suter hasn't been good either.

The Panthers are in their 2nd straight cup appearance and most of their skaters are 30 and under. The only "old guy" is Okposo (he's 36) and he's playing 4th line minutes and is going in and out of the line-up.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Barabanov and Alec Martinez both at 1.2 is really good value IMO. I also really like Edmundson at 1.7 but I can see him getting at least 2

Barabanov would be the ideal Heinen replacement. I know the rangers and lightning were linked at the trade deadline. He wants to go to a contender. Once he gets out of SJ and starts playing with some higher end talent, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people

Broken finger and COVID during this season didn't help and for what its worth he was stapled to Couture last year and I'm not even sure if he played a single game this year

Sleeper
Edmundson has averaged like 50 games a season over the past handful of seasons. And his effectiveness has entered worn down speed bump territory.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Martinez is cooked and will be close to 38 years old by the time next years playoffs roll around.

JVR and Shattenkirk looked just fine in the first half of the season. But the longer the season went on, the more the wheels fell off.

Over in Dallas, Pavelski has been a ghost in these playoffs and Suter hasn't been good either.

The Panthers are in their 2nd straight cup appearance and most of their skaters are 30 and under. The only "old guy" is Okposo (he's 36) and he's playing 4th line minutes and is going in and out of the line-up.
Not sure what else you are expecting for only 1.2 million. Thats exactly what he'll do (like Okposo) be in and out of the lineup as the #6 for Wotherspoon. I don't think they should invest any more than around 2 million for another 6/7. I would prefer Edmundson though.

I think they do need another veteran or two. I know the plan is to get more skillful and faster but you still need a couple vets for the room. Not to mention they're likely losing JVR, Shatty, Maroon...

Heinen, JD, Gryz (not vets by any means but they've been around)

Ullmark, Forbort as well...

Going to be a fair amount of turnover

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Edmundson has averaged like 50 games a season over the past handful of seasons. And his effectiveness has entered worn down speed bump territory.
Injury prone - yes
Effectiveness - I thought he was solid in the Toronto series. Cant say I watched him play much outside of that but I think many others would agree

I'm assuming if they did bring him in, he's going to get much more rest with Wotherspoon rotating in. Hopefully the regular season wouldn't be as grueling

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure what else you are expecting for only 1.2 million.

Someone younger. Not a 37 year old with a lot of miles on him.

They could also spend more than that on their 3rd pair LD and have it be someone who is in the line-up every night. They are still playing 15+ mins a night or more all 6 D spots are important positions. Money better spent than wasting it on one of the leagues oldest D-men in Martinez.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

They could also spend more than that on their 3rd pair LD and have it be someone who is in the line-up every night. They are still playing 15+ mins a night or more all 6 D spots are important positions. Money better spent than wasting it on one of the leagues oldest D-men in Martinez.

Peeke is already making $2.75m. I hope they don’t plan on dishing out close to that for another bottom pairing guy. Sick of the John Moore’s, Mike Reilly’s, forborts, Peekes etc taking up $2.5m-$3m in cap.

In a perfect world they should be pairing an old vet with a young upcoming defender they drafted every few years for a cheap 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Why/how are they paying for giving Ullmark a NMC?

Because management had been trying to move him since at least last offseason and they’ve been unable to do so.

Management has made it pretty clear that they are trying to move on from the goalie duo and use that cap on an every day skater. So they’ll end up spending roughly 40% of duration of his contract trying to trade him and might not be able to.

I don't believe they were trying to move him since last offseason.

Where did you get that info.

And it's not like he hurt the team by playing all season.

Reactions: khanomcat

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't believe they were trying to move him since last offseason.

Where did you get that info.

And it's not like he hurt the team by playing all season.

He’s hurt them in the postseason both with his poor play and his $5m cap hit being useless on the bench in the playoffs when they could be using that on someone who plays

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts

That old man won a stanley cup last year, played in all games and averaged almost 20 minutes a night. Just because someone is old, doesn't make them ineffective. You can find some really good value in the UFA market on veteran guys looking for short term and money to win a cup.

Bruins d-core is actually pretty young with Lindholm being the oldest at 30. They could definitely benefit from a veteran back there, especially when you are breaking in a kid like Lohrei.

My ranking would be Dillon, Edmundson and then Martinez (all depending on how much they pay up front)

Who do you like thats younger?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Are X,Y and Z all going to be gritty and tough? Two years in a row Florida had used tough, physical play with talent and good goaltending to reach the finals and half of the proposals I see have Heinen and Brazeau or another non physical player in the bottom 6. Scoring is obviously number 1 priority, a close second is getting bigger and tougher up front and tougher on D, although Wotherspoon and Peake help.

A great off season to me is Ullmark for Pinto, sign Lindholm, Dillon, Marchessault, Duhaime and Sherwood. Maroon or Lomberg as 13th forward. You add a top 6 center, a potential top line center in Pinto, Dillon who is still physical and a crease clearer on D, physical fast players in Sherwood and Duhaime and a 30 goal scorer in Marchessault. Your depth forward is a huge PITA in Marron or Lomberg. Goals, skill, speed, grit and toughness all added.

Obviously sign Swayman long term.

Zacha-Pinto-Pasta
Marchand-Lindholm-Marchessault
Frederick-Coyle-Geekie
Sherwood-Beecher-Duhaime
Maroon or Lomberg

Lohrei-Mac
Dillon-Carlo
Lindholm-Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi
That would be nice.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Peeke is already making $2.75m. I hope they don’t plan on dishing out close to that for another bottom pairing guy. Sick of the John Moore’s, Mike Reilly’s, forborts, Peekes etc taking up $2.5m-$3m in cap.

In a perfect world they should be pairing an old vet with a young upcoming defender they drafted every few years for a cheap 3rd pairing.

Ideally yes you'd have a younger cheaper guy on his ELC or his 2nd contract for that 3rd pair but they have basically nothing on LD past Lindholm/Lohrei/Wotherspoon so they are left to go to free agent market or make a trade. Someone's coming here from outside I'd prefer it not be a D-man whose among the 5 oldest in the league.
That old man won a stanley cup last year, played in all games and averaged almost 20 minutes a night. Just because someone is old, doesn't make them ineffective. You can find some really good value in the UFA market on veteran guys looking for short term and money to win a cup.

Bruins d-core is actually pretty young with Lindholm being the oldest at 30. They could definitely benefit from a veteran back there, especially when you are breaking in a kid like Lohrei.

My ranking would be Dillon, Edmundson and then Martinez (all depending on how much they pay up front)

Who do you like thats younger?

That was last year. Yes, when you are 37, chances are you are no longer effective as an NHL player. He's basically done. Ask Dallas fans how Ryan Suter is working out for them right now?

Why take that chance? Why waste money and time just to get to April and the wheels are already fallen off?

Who do I like that is younger? Every single other UFA left-shot D-man that is younger than Martinez.

If I'm an NHL GM and I'm looking at ANY UFA class, I'm not even considering skaters over the age of 34 with some very small exceptions.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Ideally yes you'd have a younger cheaper guy on his ELC or his 2nd contract for that 3rd pair but they have basically nothing on LD past Lindholm/Lohrei/Wotherspoon so they are left to go to free agent market or make a trade. Someone's coming here from outside I'd prefer it not be a D-man whose among the 5 oldest in the league.

That was last year. Yes, when you are 37, chances are you are no longer effective as an NHL player. He's basically done. Ask Dallas fans how Ryan Suter is working out for them right now?

Why take that chance? Why waste money and time just to get to April and the wheels are already fallen off?

Who do I like that is younger? Every single other UFA left-shot D-man that is younger than Martinez.

If I'm an NHL GM and I'm looking at ANY UFA class, I'm not even considering skaters over the age of 34 with some very small exceptions.
It’s why I’m a bit surprised you were pushing Marchessault, but I get that he’d be a bit of an exception. Turns 34 in December.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s why I’m a bit surprised you were pushing Marchessault, but I get that he’d be a bit of an exception. Turns 34 in December.
He is, and my interest depends on what type of term he's looking for. I'm not giving him 5-6 years. I'd be really reluctant at 4. 3 is probably the ideal number but that might not get it done. He's such a smart player I think he'd age well but no doubt it's a risk. Bit of a beggers/choosers situation with the UFA and trade market as well. I think I like Marchessault for 3-4 years better than some of the other UFA options that are 29/30/31 and looking for 5-6-7 year deals taking them to roughly the same age as Marchessault's next contract would.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Sleeper
i like barabanov as a low cost bottom 6 addition for sure, but how many russians have ever played for the bruins?
obviously orlov came through last year, merkulov cup of coffee. but before that...maybe koko?

i think the last russian UFA they signed was alex zhamnov, almost 20 years ago.

seems unlikely.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
honestly for all the reasons you just listed I think that would make him a better coach than GM. Not saying he wouldn't be a great GM but those examples and his competitiveness are better suited for coaching. Competitiveness carries little value outside of the dressing room in this regard

Disagree.

I do not see Zdeno Chara (or Patrice Bergeron, for that matter) wasting their time in coaching -- even if the career path resembled Patrick Roy's.

Simply put, they don't need it, they don't want it. If either are interested in a next stage NHL career, their talents lie elsewhere. And that's in management.

Wayne Gretzky, the greatest offensive scorer in the game, coached for a time in AZ.

It did not work out well.

I don't believe either Z or Patrice are temperamentally suited to coaching. I know how this sounds but I think both are "above" that level, and their hockey I.Q., reserved personalities and commitment to culture and process -- all of it -- bespeak a management role.

I don't care what the pedigree: head coaches in the NHL are hired to be fired, sooner rather than later. And if you look at the current coaching carrousel, it's spinning ever faster.

Neither Chara nor Bergeron strike me as individuals seeking this kind of career. Can you see Patrice or a Z on a bus from Utica to Milwaukee on a Monday night, or even a charter plane from Boston to Dallas?

I don't, and I doubt they do.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
i like barabanov as a low cost bottom 6 addition for sure, but how many russians have ever played for the bruins?
obviously orlov came through last year, merkulov cup of coffee. but before that...maybe koko?

i think the last russian UFA they signed was alex zhamnov, almost 20 years ago.

seems unlikely.
Would hope that changes soon...no better time than now to break that trend

This is such an insane take :laugh:

So you would pass on Steven Stamkos? Are you not interested in resigning Marchand at the end of his contract next year? Were you against Bergeron's and Krejci's last contracts? Chara's?

35+ contracts can be structured with bonuses so they can be very advantageous during the right circumstances...to completely ignore any player above 34 is exceptionally poor management

For a team like the Bruins who built such an amazing culture here with all these guys, you would think it would be valued more especially when you hear them talk about the impact someone like Mark Recchi had on them. For the record, he was 40 something...that guy brought so much physical and mental toughness that it still radiates in the locker room today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad