Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
He is, and my interest depends on what type of term he's looking for. I'm not giving him 5-6 years. I'd be really reluctant at 4. 3 is probably the ideal number but that might not get it done. He's such a smart player I think he'd age well but no doubt it's a risk. Bit of a beggers/choosers situation with the UFA and trade market as well. I think I like Marchessault for 3-4 years better than some of the other UFA options that are 29/30/31 and looking for 5-6-7 year deals taking them to roughly the same age as Marchessault's next contract would.

Agree about Marchessault: guy is super smart and a very good scoring winger, I just disagree about contract. Current CBA expires in 2026, so I can't see any top team going over 3 years. I think I'd go 5Y+ only for Lindholm/Guentzel/Zadorov.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Would hope that changes soon...no better time than now to break that trend

This is such an insane take :laugh:

So you would pass on Steven Stamkos? Are you not interested in resigning Marchand at the end of his contract next year? Were you against Bergeron's and Krejci's last contracts? Chara's?

35+ contracts can be structured with bonuses so they can be very advantageous during the right circumstances...to completely ignore any player above 34 is exceptionally poor management

For a team like the Bruins who built such an amazing culture here with all these guys, you would think it would be valued more especially when you hear them talk about the impact someone like Mark Recchi had on them. For the record, he was 40 something...that guy brought so much physical and mental toughness that it still radiates in the locker room today

I said there were small exceptions. I would classify every name you listed as those exceptions, although if they were UFAs and I was GM of another team, I'd think twice about Krejci.

Mark Recchi in his early 40s wouldn't be able to keep up in today's game. He was 43 when he won the 2011 cup, there isn't a single skater signed for next year above 39. Heck, there are only two 39 year olds signed and they are Suter who looks about cooked, and Burns. You can almost count the number of guys left Martinez's age on two hands.

The league is faster and younger, the time to hedge bets on mid-range players like Martinez into their mid-to-late 30s is over. You make exceptions for elite players like a Bergeron, a Marchand, a Stamkos.

Agree about Marchessault: guy is super smart and a very good scoring winger, I just disagree about contract. Current CBA expires in 2026, so I can't see any top team going over 3 years. I think I'd go 5Y+ only for Lindholm/Guentzel/Zadorov.

Top teams might draw a line in the sand on 3 years. Problem is, sometimes a non contender offers that extra year and that seals the deal.

When it comes to Marchessault, I wouldn't even know what a suitable AAV is for him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
When it comes to Marchessault, I wouldn't even know what a suitable AAV is for him.
He’s an interesting one. He’s one of the very few players Vegas has been loyal to. The range of outcomes for him is pretty crazy. He could take 2x$4M to stay in Vegas. He could get 4x$7.5M out in the market. And anywhere in between.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He’s an interesting one. He’s one of the very few players Vegas has been loyal to. The range of outcomes for him is pretty crazy. He could take 2x$4M to stay in Vegas. He could get 4x$7.5M out in the market. And anywhere in between.

And reports are they haven't even talked extension yet.

For a franchise as ruthless as Vegas, that isn't a good sign for Marchessault if he wants to stay. Meanwhile, he made 30 million on his last contract before taxes, union dues, etc. But prior to that he made peanuts.

Like you said, this could go either way.

Reactions: Gordoff

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I said there were small exceptions. I would classify every name you listed as those exceptions, although if they were UFAs and I was GM of another team, I'd think twice about Krejci.

Mark Recchi in his early 40s wouldn't be able to keep up in today's game. He was 43 when he won the 2011 cup, there isn't a single skater signed for next year above 39. Heck, there are only two 39 year olds signed and they are Suter who looks about cooked, and Burns. You can almost count the number of guys left Martinez's age on two hands.

The league is faster and younger, the time to hedge bets on mid-range players like Martinez into their mid-to-late 30s is over. You make exceptions for elite players like a Bergeron, a Marchand, a Stamkos.
Let me break it to you there are A LOT of exceptions haha. The league is obviously getting faster but there are still so many great players playing into their late 30's and for every Suter in Dallas you have a Corey Perry in Edmonton and so on.

Guys are taking care of their bodies better than ever before and we are starting to see some agelessness as a result. I mean Crosby had a borderline MVP year, Ovie sill buried 30, theres tons of examples.

Regardless of the players and the numbers, you drew a line in the sand at not signing any player over the age of 34 and then back pedal if they are really good and break this imaginary rule in your mind that players start to get bad then. It's weird.

Ignore Martinez and just accept the fact every team needs a good mix of youth and veteran leadership or else you get old and slow or get stuck in one of those perpetual rebuilds

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Someone younger. Not a 37 year old with a lot of miles on him.

They could also spend more than that on their 3rd pair LD and have it be someone who is in the line-up every night. They are still playing 15+ mins a night or more all 6 D spots are important positions. Money better spent than wasting it on one of the leagues oldest D-men in Martinez.
They are already paying their 3rd pair RD 2.75M. I might take back Forbort 1.5M.
With Reilly dead cap could they bring him back on LD for .800M...lol.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Let me break it to you there are A LOT of exceptions haha. The league is obviously getting faster but there are still so many great players playing into their late 30's and for every Suter in Dallas you have a Corey Perry in Edmonton and so on.

Guys are taking care of their bodies better than ever before and we are starting to see some agelessness as a result. I mean Crosby had a borderline MVP year, Ovie sill buried 30, theres tons of examples.

Regardless of the players and the numbers, you drew a line in the sand at not signing any player over the age of 34 and then back pedal if they are really good and break this imaginary rule in your mind that players start to get bad then. It's weird.

Ignore Martinez and just accept the fact every team needs a good mix of youth and veteran leadership or else you get old and slow or get stuck in one of those perpetual rebuilds

I never drew a line in the sand. I said their were exceptions, so there is no back peddling here at all. Corey Perry is a former MVP and was an elite player in this league. Are you really citing Crosby and OV? Once again, pretty sure they would be exceptions.

There are no 40-year old skaters left in the league. Zero. Of skaters with contracts are the start of next year you have three 39-year olds (Suter, Burns, OV), one 38-year old (Malkin), eight guys who are 37 and three of them (Crosby, Letang, Kopitar) will be in the Hall-of-fame. 12 guys Martinez's age or older and seven of them will be HOFers. There are only five 36-year olds signed for next year and your talking two more HOFers in Marchand and Giroux. The numbers say non-elite players generally speaking aren't in the league at those ages.

Last edited:

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Carlo helps the bruins more than Necas does. Carlo is the most underrated player on these boards. I guess we need a new whipping boy now that Grzelcyk is gone.
Or overrated. Depends

Carlo has arguably been their best defenseman over the last two playoff runs. He’s a top 4 RIGHT SHOT shutdown d man. Guys a freaking unicorn in his own right- let alone his amazing contract.

And people want to get rid of him.

Enough. Please. Selfishly for my own sanity.
He hasn’t been the best

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

You’re really trying hard here to be right about a point that @BruinDust didn’t make.

And citing generational players like Ovechkin and Crosby as well as former a hart trophy winner like Perry as “evidence” is just making his point about exceptions

Reactions: BruinDust

Trashpass

Dec 21, 2019
I want Guentzel to be the big fish, I think Carolina gets a deal done but if not he'd be my first choice. Offer $8.5M if that isn't enough move on.

Lindholm is probably the better choice for top center but Stephenson will be the more economic choice to leave more money for Guentzel.

Guentzel- $8.5M
Stephenson- $5.5M
Dillon- $3M (offer an extra year to bring the AAV down)
Duhaime- $1.5M
Ullmark dealt for picks

Zacha-Stephenson-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle/Poitras-Guentzal
Frederic-Coyle/Poitras-Geekie
Duhaime-Beecher-Brazeau
Lauko

Dillon-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman($7M)
Bussi($900K)

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I really dont think the Bruins are that far off from a championship team. Two more top six forwards with one of those being a centre & baby we got ourselves a stew going.
I think it's more than that. But in principle? I don't think you're wrong. They are not far off.

They have a franchise player at every level. There's size throughout the lineup. There is an established culture that is enviable. Most of the hard work? It's done.

But the roster needs some more jostle. Jam, speed and more skill are all required on the top six (three additions there.) Speed and aggression for the fourth line. And two players for the blueline: a playmaker and someone who plays with some brutality.

It's a bit of roster turn, but fundamentally? This is all very doable. This is not a ground-up rebuild. The only player potentially approaching having a bad deal is Charlie Coyle and hell - it ain't bad. It's just if you expect him to be a better fit for the third line when you have other, cheaper options for that same slot.

Sweeney plays this offseason right, I could see a Bruins team with the best shot at winning since 2011. Will or can he? That's where my hesitation lies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think it's more than that. But in principle? I don't think you're wrong. They are not far off.

They have a franchise player at every level. There's size throughout the lineup. There is an established culture that is enviable. Most of the hard work? It's done.

But the roster needs some more jostle. Jam, speed and more skill are all required on the top six (three additions there.) Speed and aggression for the fourth line. And two players for the blueline: a playmaker and someone who plays with some brutality.

It's a bit of roster turn, but fundamentally? This is all very doable. This is not a ground-up rebuild. The only player potentially approaching having a bad deal is Charlie Coyle and hell - it ain't bad. It's just if you expect him to be a better fit for the third line when you have other, cheaper options for that same slot.

Sweeney plays this offseason right, I could see a Bruins team with the best shot at winning since 2011. Will or can he? That's where my hesitation lies.

Agreed. The current Bruins base is very strong. They need to add to it with some key additions, like you said. At the forefront, speed/aggression. They need to get faster. They need at least one top 6 player and if DeBrusk leaves, two. Another player for the bottom 6 with grit and can help secondary scoring. Then a guy who can play with McAvoy with jam and who isn't a liability 5v5.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Coyle has outplayed his cap hit every year he gets barely any PP time. People were adamant he could never play above the 3rd line or work with Marchand and the two were great this year. I'd just be worried that he fits the definition of a late bloomer and gets an extension the year after next. We want to get 2 more years and then let him be a UFA and play it out elsewhere no extension.

I think we have enough jam with guys like Freddy and McAvoy (who cant fight) I'd rather go the other way and fill out the roster with skill. Give me a skill 4th line guys like Lysell and Merkulov not scum like Maroon and make a bold trade like Marner for Ullmark.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Another one of your best guess from Eichel, Huberdeau, Hanafin to now Necas
DKFA
Eichel
Hertl
Hanifin

Hertl not Huberdeau

Don’t
Know
F’n
Anything

Anything? Like beyond hockey ?

That’s hurtful

• Haha
Reactions: Dizzay

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Wait ? Are you saying I had Barkov and Aho

Clarify
IIRC yeah you had both going UFA to learn under Bergeron. But hey it is a speculation thread after all.

a lot of people on these boards pine over some other teams no.1 C going UFA to come to the Bruins but that doesn’t really happen. Every year the UFA class is great until it suddenly isn’t.

More a call to others, don’t waste this offseason on a silly idea that draisaitl will come here via UFA, that kind of deal will happen as a trade. Even then that’s far fetched. For every rare moment a Tavares becomes a UFA, it’s even rarer an Eichel is available via trade.

Bruins will have to develop one most likely.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I want Guentzel to be the big fish, I think Carolina gets a deal done but if not he'd be my first choice. Offer $8.5M if that isn't enough move on.

Lindholm is probably the better choice for top center but Stephenson will be the more economic choice to leave more money for Guentzel.

Guentzel- $8.5M
Stephenson- $5.5M
Dillon- $3M (offer an extra year to bring the AAV down)
Duhaime- $1.5M
Ullmark dealt for picks

Zacha-Stephenson-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle/Poitras-Guentzal
Frederic-Coyle/Poitras-Geekie
Duhaime-Beecher-Brazeau
Lauko

Dillon-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman($7M)
Bussi($900K)

I'll take the over on Stephenson and Guentzel.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
IIRC yeah you had both going UFA to learn under Bergeron. But hey it is a speculation thread after all.

a lot of people on these boards pine over some other teams no.1 C going UFA to come to the Bruins but that doesn’t really happen. Every year the UFA class is great until it suddenly isn’t.

More a call to others, don’t waste this offseason on a silly idea that draisaitl will come here via UFA, that kind of deal will happen as a trade. Even then that’s far fetched. For every rare moment a Tavares becomes a UFA, it’s even rarer an Eichel is available via trade.

Bruins will have to develop one most likely.
Yah if I did I was screwing around

I never would think Barkov or Aho would not be those teams foundational players

I’ve made it my mission in 2024 to be more serious here and treat everyone with respect

I apologize for anything I’ve said prior to Jan 1 2024

Got those who know of Stan Makita history that is my model

From agitstor highly penalized to winning Lady Bynge all while remaining an elite star

Thanks to everyone who supports my journey

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Eichel
Hertl
Hanifin

Hertl not Huberdeau

Don’t
Know
F’n
Anything

Anything? Like beyond hockey ?

That’s hurtful
When I read that I thought that was a tough message to receive on a Monday morning hahahaha
I'll back ya......I think you know at least a little :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad