Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
New holes is the goal.

Currently under contract for next season, we have two open spots in the top six and a backup goaltender.

Sign Swayman and Ullmark becomes your backup.

That leaves $12M (give or take) for two top six forwards. And well… a couple of healthy scratches. Essentially assuring some form “running it back.”

One may be okay with that (and I get it). I’m not.

OK, but if you want to add the players you want that means moving people out and making trades. So who do you want to move, Carlo, Frederick, geekie, Coyle, zacha???? Any of those players being moved creates huge holes in the lineup.

the forwards maybe you can upgrade, not opposed on those. Although, you aren;t gonna replace Zacha for the money he makes. In this market he'd likely get 1.5 million , more than his current deal

Carlo is the toughest, because a RHD like him is a unicorn, which is why a ton of teams would want him. But how could you replace him

Definitely agree him alone won’t but maybe they have a package trade including him that could.

Who are you going to package with him? Frederick?

Even if you got the #7 pick from Ottawa. Great you are getting someone who might be ready to help you win at the NHL level in 2027 or 2028.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Any player you move opens new holes.

Maybe Sweeney can spin a magic web like he did in trading Huala for Zacha

Maybe he can turn Frederick into a better player, or Geekie, or even Coyle.

Could flip Carlo I guess, but that Opens a GAPING hole on the roster, which i don't know how you could replace.

they are limited by the fact they have nothing in the minors which would bring value back, and at the same time have limitations in that they have very little in picks they could move.
Just have to deal from strength to address weaknesses. Ullmark and Geekie for Necas and a pick turns a bottom 6 forward (who they're flush with) and a backup G into a top 6 forward and a pick (both of which they're short on).

Maybe Sweeney strikes gold again with cheap FAs too.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
OK, but if you want to add the players you want that means moving people out and making trades. So who do you want to move, Carlo, Frederick, geekie, Coyle, zacha???? Any of those players being moved creates huge holes in the lineup.

the forwards maybe you can upgrade, not opposed on those. Although, you aren;t gonna replace Zacha for the money he makes. In this market he'd likely get 1.5 million , more than his current deal

Carlo is the toughest, because a RHD like him is a unicorn, which is why a ton of teams would want him. But how could you replace him

Who are you going to package with him? Frederick?

Even if you got the #7 pick from Ottawa. Great you are getting someone who might be ready to help you win at the NHL level in 2027 or 2028.
It’s better than throwing money at guys in FA over and over and expecting different results. All the top teams got their top guys by drafting high. You either bottom out or move out good pieces that aren’t getting it done for young talent or a similar player. I just don’t see giving Lindholm, Necas, Stephenson a boatload of cash is wise cap management or gets you sniffing a cup but that’s what they are gonna end up doing i think.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe taking on a dual personality here would be in order. Don't forget DKH, Mikita only dressed for 2 games in 72 for Team Canada while Bobby Clarke dressed for all 8 and had 6 points and an ankle.
When I was a kid Mikita & Hull were probably the the top C & LW in the game

I had no idea Makita was such a abrasive sob - I believe he changed when his young daughter said something

I was such a huge fan of those jerseys growing up - great team as well

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
When I read that I thought that was a tough message to receive on a Monday morning hahahaha
I'll back ya......I think you know at least a little :cool:
lol

I got up fed my cat - actually my cat got me up

I plopped back on the bed and flip through to see who won game before heading to Dunks for my iced coffee- as I feel asleep before the game was over and then check HFB

I actually thought same what I way to wake up but all good

Me and Lou basically text each other early ever day on about Mets, Red Sox, Bruins, our dogs - something so today it was ‘rough crowd on HF’ lol

As for Necas

Necas I was on awhile ago before it ever started because

A. He’s a RW/C dynamo who could be the heir to Marchand

B. He is very tight with Pastrnak and wears 88

C. He’s going to be a UFA in summer of 25

Probably have to wait as we don’t match up unless Sweeney does fantasy league type moves

Logic says they try and keep him and offer like 8/60 or deal where team wants to sign long term

He’s gotta really want to be here to navigate anything before FA

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
And reports are they haven't even talked extension yet.

For a franchise as ruthless as Vegas, that isn't a good sign for Marchessault if he wants to stay. Meanwhile, he made 30 million on his last contract before taxes, union dues, etc. But prior to that he made peanuts.

Like you said, this could go either way.

Wow. That's a damning assessment. Little to no trade value. Independent contractor. Lack of self awareness. Work in progress. We'll see.

OUCH
Well, bring him up and give it a go. There doesn't appear to be an alternative.

If I could get something for Lysell, he would be gone.

Reactions: Number8

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When I was a kid Mikita & Hull were probably the the top C & LW in the game

I had no idea Makita was such a abrasive sob - I believe he changed when his young daughter said something

I was such a huge fan of those jerseys growing up - great team as well

Jean Beliveau followed a similar path as Mikita.

Top 10 three seasons in a row in the 1950s in penalty minutes.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just have to deal from strength to address weaknesses. Ullmark and Geekie for Necas and a pick turns a bottom 6 forward (who they're flush with) and a backup G into a top 6 forward and a pick (both of which they're short on).

Maybe Sweeney strikes gold again with cheap FAs too.

Sure I'd make that deal. Of course doing so I know I am committing 7x7+ to Necas. But at the same time, i know Geekie will be looking to double his contract next offseason

Not sure adding Geekie to Ullmark is enough to get him.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
lol

I got up fed my cat - actually my cat got me up

I plopped back on the bed and flip through to see who won game before heading to Dunks for my iced coffee- as I feel asleep before the game was over and then check HFB

I actually thought same what I way to wake up but all good

Me and Lou basically text each other early ever day on about Mets, Red Sox, Bruins, our dogs - something so today it was ‘rough crowd on HF’ lol

As for Necas

Necas I was on awhile ago before it ever started because

A. He’s a RW/C dynamo who could be the heir to Marchand

B. He is very tight with Pastrnak and wears 88

C. He’s going to be a UFA in summer of 25

Probably have to wait as we don’t match up unless Sweeney does fantasy league type moves

Logic says they try and keep him and offer like 8/60 or deal where team wants to sign long term

He’s gotta really want to be here to navigate anything before FA
I could see two different paths:

1. Ullmark + 2025 1st for Necas and we resogn him long term.
2. Ullmark gets traded for a first and something else and we then flip that 1st + Lysell/Merk.....not sure that's enough though.

I agree with you though, Necas here with Pasta and Zacha is a perfect fit! Necas + Lindholm this summer would be huge! Dillion and trade for Olivier, we're cooking!

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sure I'd make that deal. Of course doing so I know I am committing 7x7+ to Necas. But at the same time, i know Geekie will be looking to double his contract next offseason

Not sure adding Geekie to Ullmark is enough to get him.
I think they'd jump on it - They drafted him and lost him in the expansion draft - same age as Necas, 17 goals to Necas' 24, they both have 4 playoff goals this year. He's shown he's a center which is what they need. He's cheap. . .

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
IIRC yeah you had both going UFA to learn under Bergeron. But hey it is a speculation thread after all.

a lot of people on these boards pine over some other teams no.1 C going UFA to come to the Bruins but that doesn’t really happen. Every year the UFA class is great until it suddenly isn’t.

More a call to others, don’t waste this offseason on a silly idea that draisaitl will come here via UFA, that kind of deal will happen as a trade. Even then that’s far fetched. For every rare moment a Tavares becomes a UFA, it’s even rarer an Eichel is available via trade.

Bruins will have to develop one most likely.
Poitras has a lot of Savard characteristics but other then Barry Pederson I don’t remember any of the top of my head hitting the ground at a star level

He was getting hammered in the end every shift seemed but he returns with experience and knowledge - his brain recognizes and has mental files on pace and situations that can only help him

He’s a processor and his skillset at Dev Camp were so far above everyone else including his shot I have a lot of hope

One scenario I think is very plausible is they sign a C like Lindhom & move Zacha to wing

Coyle obviously is a center on line 2 and Poitras can play third line going up against Metkulov or Boqvist

I am a fan of Merkulov I think he’s got NHL game

Also Zacha is a good center but I’d rather see him at wing where less responsibility as center and can create and shoot more like he did with Krejci centering

DeBrusk seems to be the domino where they go curious to see

Kyle Dubas is apparently infatuated with everything Bruins including the area so he may be targeting their UFAs

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

2. Ullmark gets traded for a first and something else and we then flip that 1st + Lysell/Merk.....not sure that's enough though.

I agree with you though, Necas here with Pasta and Zacha is a perfect fit! Necas + Lindholm this summer would be huge! Dillion and trade for Olivier, we're cooking!

Not quite.

Necas & Pasta are both right wingers.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Good interesting take

Necas works here even if on the wing

The team needs a skill guy like him

There are so many ways they can go I’m excited to see what the heck happens in next 4 weeks

Like a fun house you don’t know what and where something is coming just that it is

DeBrusk could go either direction but I would guess he’s got a 7 in either years or dollars

Ullmark is a very interesting situation where logic says unless both sides want an extension for less then he would get on open market - then they work together to do a deal

Ullmark comments seem to be to me - I am planning on coming back - I got a modified no trade BUT using the Tampa, Florida, Islanders, Rangers, Jets, Stars, Penguins, etc group as only teams I’d go to he’s boxed the Bruins in

I done think Ullmark wants to go and probably was able to use the modified NMC as a weapon to all but assure

This is going to be very interesting how it ends

I believe it will be a trade with extension to a place he probably wants

Going Devils

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lauko might get you a late round pick, maybe in the 4-7 range. Beecher's value is more in the 2/3 range.
If anyone thinks that moving Lauko and Beecher is the answer they are out of their freakn minds, both are under 25,cost effective, maybe they organization and coaching staff should learn how to use them and play to their strengths, speed, size, faceoffs, forechecking, hustle, PK, do they have warts yes but all young players do. I just don't think replacing them with higher priced players,who also will have warts........

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
First off, the top six forwards... It's a mix. Not all three have to be all three. But they have to be at least one. I suppose saying that a top six forward has to add skill is redundant. Speed and jam.

Second, I think you lack creativity. It also requires moving some other pieces off of the roster. Pieces that are movable, especially considering the UFA market you describe.

I know that's scary to some people. But running this team back is going to result in a similar result. It's time to make a couple of changes to the makeup.

Where it gets interesting is in what kind of makeup change.

They clearly need more speed and skill. Florida can pin their ears back and take the risk that Brazeau, or Geekie, or JVR, or whatever lead foot is going to fly the zone and get an odd man rush... and they can deal with that risk. Even these lead foot Bruins got more break aways against Florida than I feel like I saw over half the season... but there are just not enough guys on this team that can carry the puck. And they can pin their ears back knowing that only McAvoy (and later Lorhei) are capable of skating the puck out of the zone under pressure (and not really even those guys when the forwards can't spread out the D). They need guys who can play with skill all over the line up.

Of course, when Sweeney/Neely bring up that they need more speed and skill, some folks are up in arms that "they just don't get it" and that we need more mean guys that can hit.

The reality is that the team needs both.

But at some point that means the more smart cerebral players who don't provide snarl or skill need to be on the block. But some of those guys are sacred cows.

In the end, there is just about nothing Sweeney can do that won't have some people pissed and calling for his head. Guess that is the job.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
If anyone thinks that moving Lauko and Beecher is the answer they are out of their freakn minds, both are under 25,cost effective, maybe they organization and coaching staff should learn how to use them and play to their strengths, speed, size, faceoffs, forechecking, hustle, PK, do they have warts yes but all young players do. I just don't think replacing them with higher priced players,who also will have warts........
Do I think either are capable of being productive positive fourth liners on a contending team NO. If you can pick up Draft picks for them it could be a positive. Time to move on from both this off season . Next summer both will need new contracts . I do not think at present either have earned a raise on ,next contracts so they will walk for free.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Do I think either are capable of being productive positive fourth liners on a contending team NO. If you can pick up Draft picks for them it could be a positive. Time to move on from both this off season . Next summer both will need new contracts . I do not think at present either have earned a raise on ,next contracts so they will walk for free.
Beecher? Really? Way too harsh for a rookie, especially as a 4th liner who wins draws.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

You dont think they will deserve raises so they will walk for Free? You do realize they will both be RFA. I expect both will stay in Boston for around 1 mil for 2-3 years. Maybe if Beecher bursts our next year he could get more , but that seems unlikely

Getting a veteran to replace either will cost more

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Beecher has 52 career games, Lauko has 83. They’ve barely had a cup of coffee at this level and you’re are ready to toss them. Just a really weird take.

I wasn’t big on Lauko last season admittedly, but not to your extent.

This team desperately needs speed. Kind of seems like a dumb thing to do to move on from 2 of your fastest guys.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
New holes is the goal.

Capture.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Carl Hungus

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Jake and Maroon both played all 13 games.

JVR played 11 games, Heinen played 8.

Debrusk, Maroon & JVR all played every game against Florida. Heinen played 3.

I'm aware, I watched.

There was almost never a game where all 4 played together was my point, because they weren't all starters. You aren't losing 4 starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad