Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
So they claim they want to get “faster”. I’m assuming they want to get meaner too.

Heinen
Frederic
Geekie

If all 3 are in the lineup next season neither is fast or mean. That’s 25% of the on ice forward group. I think you keep one or maybe two of the above & replace the 3rd with a speedster who can forecheck & hit.

At least relative to this management,

You said Sweeney hasn’t done anything worthy of being canned.

I’m saying he hasn’t done anything worthy of keeping his job and other more successful GMs have been fired.

Chiarelli started off with a worse team, did better and still got fired.

If he’s not producing at the same level as someone who wasn’t producing enough and got fired. Then if he’s held to the same standard he should also be fired.

That's because he's a dink.

A well-known dink.

Word.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I think he can be a top 6 winger but there are concerns. I love Frederic but his inconsistency, both in his physical play and offense, is a concern. He in no way should be the toughest Bruin forward. Get 2 of Duhaime, Sherwood, Maroon or deal for Olivier to take the pressure off of Frederic. I think with his shot and decent skating, mixed with more consistent physical play, he could easily fill out a top 6 role.

Sign Lindholm and Kane or Marchessault to go along with Marchand, Pasta, Zacha and try Frederic in the top six, if it works you may well have a 25 goal 5o point physical winger, literally a Tom Wilson light when he was playing his best.

Frederic-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Lindholm-Marchessault/Kane

I don't know about your lines here, but agree per Freddie.

Do you guys think Poitras will be in the AHL for most the season next year? ... Now that he's eligible for the minors and just came off surgery

No expert but while he may start the season in PRO, he'll be with the big club once he's up to speed after his surgery.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
We went for it last year. I've been critical of Sweeney in the past (the center issue looming bugged me) but he built a dynamo last year and then went after it hard at TDL which I fully supported.

If we won the Cup last year, none of us would give two shits about having to trade off assets for almost nothing.

Shit I'm still feeling some of the joy of 2011. That's what 39 years of waiting will do to a boy/man (and yes, there was basically a generation between a very young and a middle aged Number8 seeing a Cup in Boston).

Yes, but a sad commentary regardless.

Freddy can fight but isn’t a big hitter. He never was. He is who he is. I like him.

Surrounded by very good linemates, yes.

Minus that, he's frequently invisible on multiple fronts.

The idea that Frederic is somehow your enforcer gives pause.

Long enough to laugh out loud.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
No the original post was about a GM trading a whole draft year for Jeannot and the OP said imagine if Sweeney traded a whole draft class away like that.

So I compared trading one year away for 1 player for two years away for 3 players that totaled less than 100 games played.

Trading Hall was for no return was just the chefs kiss on top of a horrendous 16 months of wasted assets with no return on the current roster.

Hall wasn’t a pivot/change of subject. It was the icing on the cake of a terrible stretch.

"You mean like Sweeney giving up almost two full drafts for 30 games of Bertuzzi, orlov and Hathaway and having nothing to show for it/none of them on the roster anymore?"

Again, that's where we started...your words...and I simply said those aren't even comparable. Why we're now discussing Hall or Sweeneys asset management in a year span, I don't know, but it doesn't change how horrendous Jeannot trade was from day 1 and how getting those 3 assets for a cup run and it not working out isn't really the same as making a massive overpayment from day 1 and it predictably backfiring.

Reactions: capecodder

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It was absolutely poor cap management due to signing 4th liners like Nick foligno, and 3rd pairing D like forbort and Mike Reilly.

1/8th of the cap going to replacement level players. That doesn’t even include regular postseason healthy scratches like gryz.

Agree, but Sweeney deserves credit for "going all in." A harsh and incessant critic, even I have to give him that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
They will, and should, resign "Woodstock," assuming he hasn't priced himself out of the market.

His versatility and responsible play are valuable commodities.

Good luck to him regardless.

The organization has its priorities backwards.

I'd love it but probably not.
Never a bad thing to have versatility, but if they are planning to make changes to the top 6, as we would all agree is needed, I'm having troubles figuring where he fits in in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Winning the cup and going to another while missing the playoffs one far outweighs no cups and every year in the playoffs.

I don’t know a single person who would choose 0 cups but playoffs every year over a cup and a playoff miss mixed in.

If making the playoffs is more important than winning a cup, then the organization has its priorities backwards.
Chiarelli would have DNQ'd year 2 with that roster. Look what happened to him in Edmonton after leaving Boston. Trading for Rheinhart and bypassing Barzal, trading Hall and trading Eberle for Spooner. He DNQ'd 2x in Boston and 3x in Edmonton.
He won once and DNQ'D FIVE TIMES...lol.

Take the L buddy.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Reading all this jibber jabber about Sweeney being a good GM or not makes me want to go start painting a room in my house that doesn't need painting and then proceeding to watch it dry.

Who cares about Sweeney, jesus! Love/like/hate him......he's here running this team so can we focus on the players and not the suits.

Interested parties can take the Sweeney discussion to the Sweeney thread.

Even so, he's the guy who selects the players and constructs the roster.

Nine years and counting.

See the result.

Suits matter.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Never a bad thing to have versatility, but if they are planning to make changes to the top 6, as we would all agree is needed, I'm having troubles figuring where he fits in in the bottom 6.

What about the fourth line? He's reasonably quick and would probably fit well playing LW with John Beecher.

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Chiarelli would have DNQ'd year 2 with that roster. Look what happened to him in Edmonton after leaving Boston. Trading for Rheinhart and bypassing Barzal, trading Hall and trading Eberle for Spooner. He DNQ'd 2x in Boston and 3x in Edmonton.

Take the L buddy.
It's shit like this that makes me shake my head when people say wins are all that matters. Chia set Oilers back several years, left Boston with a bunch of overpaid depth guys with NTCs and is no longer working as a GM for a reason. Tim Thomas won him that cup and was the reason he got another chance somewhere.

Funny enough he also left us with a bonus overage

What about the fourth line? He's reasonably quick and would probably fit well playing LW with John Beecher.
Just not the type of player for how I'd build my 4th line. But if they keep him you won't see me dwelling on it, I liked him this season.

Babajingo

Agree, but Sweeney deserves credit for "going all in." A harsh and incessant critic, even I have to give him that.
I'm divided on last year. I totally give him credit for going all in. Loved the Orlov pickup. But when they tanked in the POs, everyone said it was on the players and coach, not Sweeney.
Well, guess who hired the coach and most of the players?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He is going to cost what Frederic makes. Why are you paying a 4th LW and a 3rd pairing RD 5.25M combined? People complained ad nauseam about Forbort at $3M.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
"You mean like Sweeney giving up almost two full drafts for 30 games of Bertuzzi, orlov and Hathaway and having nothing to show for it/none of them on the roster anymore?"

Again, that's where we started...your words...and I simply said those aren't even comparable. Why we're now discussing Hall or Sweeneys asset management in a year span, I don't know, but it doesn't change how horrendous Jeannot trade was from day 1 and how getting those 3 assets for a cup run and it not working out isn't really the same as making a massive overpayment from day 1 and it predictably backfiring.

Yes that’s how it started. Then conversations expand and evolve after a few back and forths. The conversation was happening with 4 different people saying four different things about it.

Both things can

Take the L buddy.

Chiarelli with the bruins won once and DNQ 3 times one being the first year after taking over a 74 point team.

I’d rather go to the playoffs 6 out of 9 times and a cup than go to the playoffs 8 out of 9 years and not win a cup. Pretty sure everyone here would trade 2 missed playoff years for a cup.

Not even

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Such clueless response. Though not unexpected.

The buck stops with Sweeney when it comes to player and coaching personnel.

If he brought in people who couldn’t get the job done, then that’s a failure on his part as an evaluator.

We certainly don't look at things the same way.

No problem.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
He's a regular season signing I guess. No clue why you would go to this well again with 6 career playoff goals in 48 games. He contributes on the score sheet with playing with good players (basically like anyone would) and not so great with bottom sixers. He's a safe player for sure but to commit any money of signifigance would be foolish IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad