Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
While Heinen played ok to me last year and I no longer want him shot into the sun I would not start with him to start negotiating new contracts with.
I like his versatility but we have guys like Freddy and Geekie who can play up and down and multiple positions...I could do without him at this point.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Lol half way through you wanna make it about the Hall trade now, well have fun with that then I'll take it as you realizing your thoughts on the jeannot trade being like the Bertuzzi/Orlov trade are so far off you wanna change the subject.

No the original post was about a GM trading a whole draft year for Jeannot and the OP said imagine if Sweeney traded a whole draft class away like that.

So I compared trading one year away for 1 player for two years away for 3 players that totaled less than 100 games played.

Trading Hall was for no return was just the chefs kiss on top of a horrendous 16 months of wasted assets with no return on the current roster.

Hall wasn’t a pivot/change of subject. It was the icing on the cake of a terrible stretch.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
Well I am. I am specifically talking about Sweeney’s poor asset management.

Fee free to see your way out of the conversation or just reply to the part of the conversation that you feel applies to whatever you are talking about.
im typically pro sweeney but i didnt get the hall deal then and still dont now. boston was down a top 6 winger all year and he was dealt for nothing. i understand the cap implications but i think it could have been done a different way.

even if it cost us picks or a young prospect to move off forbort or gryz...forbort was one of the worst bruins in big moments the past couple years, gryz is unplayable in the playoffs due to his play and the FO's lack of confidence, and Boston has had a history of not trusting most fringe prospects in recent years.

there was a surplus of fringe middle six dudes and bottom pairing defensemen.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Same amount of years as GM.

Chiarelli teams won 10 playoff series, made it to 2 finals and won a cup.

Sweeney team won 7 playoff series, 1 finals appearance

Chiarelli inherited a 74 point team while Sweeney inherited a 96 point team that set the record for most points by a team to miss the playoffs.
Yeah but that doesn't change the macro picture to the point Sweeney s\b canned.
This isn't was Sweeney better a worse than Chiarelli.

Incidentally, the DNQ point total was inflated by how terrible the B's division was.

I'm not a Sweeney fanboy but I like to think I'm reality based.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yeah but that doesn't change the macro picture to the point Sweeney s\b canned.
This isn't was Sweeney better a worse than Chiarelli.

Incidentally, the DNQ point total was inflated by how terrible the B's division was.

You said Sweeney hasn’t done anything worthy of being canned.

I’m saying he hasn’t done anything worthy of keeping his job and other more successful GMs have been fired.

Chiarelli started off with a worse team, did better and still got fired.

If he’s not producing at the same level as someone who wasn’t producing enough and got fired. Then if he’s held to the same standard he should also be fired.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Are we suggesting in some way that markstrom is more valuable in a deal than Ullmark? I know he has one extra year on the contract, but Ullmark can be extended an is several years younger
Nope. Question was which goalie are they talking about in the article. Markstrom, Saros, and Ullmark have all been names tied to the Devils at some point. I don't think any of them on their own will return the #10 overall pick. It could also mean Fitzgerald is willing to move the 1st for F/D help but not necessarily for a goaltender.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You said Sweeney hasn’t done anything worthy of being canned.

I’m saying he hasn’t done anything worthy of keeping his job and other more successful GMs have been fired.

Chiarelli started off with a worse team, did better and still got fired.

If he’s not producing at the same level as someone who wasn’t producing enough and got fired. Then if he’s held to the same standard he should also be fired.
Um, no that's strictly YOUR OPINION, not some TEN COMMANDMENTS of NHL GM'ing.
I disagree with your standards....the horror.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
So they claim they want to get “faster”. I’m assuming they want to get meaner too.

Heinen
Frederic
Geekie

If all 3 are in the lineup next season neither is fast or mean. That’s 25% of the on ice forward group. I think you keep one or maybe two of the above & replace the 3rd with a speedster who can forecheck & hit.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
No. Poitras represents Lindstrom's floor. Ullmark for 10OA. That's the deal. Boston does not have the luxury of trading NHL ready C for futures. Goaltender is a different story.

As for Lindstrom, he could go ahead of 10oa, which is another reason Poitras can't be part of the deal.
I said only if Lindstrom is still available at 10.

What happens if Fitzgerald demands Poitras and Ullmark for #10?

If this kid is a franchise C why isn't he worth Poitras with Ullmark?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Um, no that's strictly YOUR OPINION, not some TEN COMMANDMENTS of NHL GM'ing.
I disagree with your standards....the horror.

It’s not my standards. It’s the standards the bruins organization set when they fired chiarelli.

By firing him they effectively said his accomplishments thus far weren’t up to their standards.

Chiarellis 10 playoff series wins, 2 trips to the finals and a cup in 9 seasons wasn’t good enough for them.

Sweeney’s 7 playoff wins, 1 trip to the finals and 0 cups in 9 years falls well short of that standard.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
762B37BC-D362-44A3-8A86-335369D62806.gif

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting interview on TSN Overdrive. Carter Hutton tells a story where on July 1st 2018, he was heavily pursued by Boston as a UFA to come in and play 35-40 games to spell Tuukka Rask because they wanted to manage Rask's minutes and it came down to Buffalo or Boston and he choose Buffalo because he wanted the chance to play more. Later that day the Bruins signed Jaroslav Halak.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Interesting interview on TSN Overdrive. Carter Hutton tells a story where on July 1st 2018, he was heavily pursued by Boston as a UFA to come in and play 35-40 games to spell Tuukka Rask because they wanted to manage Rask's minutes and it came down to Buffalo or Boston and he choose Buffalo because he wanted the chance to play more. Later that day the Bruins signed Jaroslav Halak.
Hutton was choppy early on on NHL Radio but as he’s gotten his feet under him he’s been very good.

Reactions: BruinDust

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
So they claim they want to get “faster”. I’m assuming they want to get meaner too.

Heinen
Frederic
Geekie

If all 3 are in the lineup next season neither is fast or mean. That’s 25% of the on ice forward group. I think you keep one or maybe two of the above & replace the 3rd with a speedster who can forecheck & hit.
Lomberg?

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Heinen
Frederic
Geekie

Sounds like the third line, meaning Coyle entrenched as a top 2 C and Poitras assed out. I'll wait until it all takes shape, but not a huge proponent of bringing back guys who don't perform in the play-offs.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It’s not my standards. It’s the standards the bruins organization set when they fired chiarelli.

By firing him they effectively said his accomplishments thus far weren’t up to their standards.

Chiarellis 10 playoff series wins, 2 trips to the finals and a cup in 9 seasons wasn’t good enough for them.

Sweeney’s 7 playoff wins, 1 trip to the finals and 0 cups in 9 years falls well short of that standard.
Chiarelli was fired after DNQ in 2015, just 4 years after winning a Cup, 2 after losing in the SCF and one year after winning TPT. 2015-16 was set up to be more of the same so they canned him.

Sweeney DNQ once with Chiarelli's squad.

You would find yourself in the minority of the entire board not just Boston's.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Chiarelli was fired after DNQ in 2015, just 4 years after winning a Cup, 2 after losing in the SCF and one year after winning TPT. 2015-16 was set up to be more of the same so they canned him.

Sweeney DNQ once with Chiarelli's squad.

You would find yourself in the minority of the entire board not just Boston's.

Winning the cup and going to another while missing the playoffs one far outweighs no cups and every year in the playoffs.

I don’t know a single person who would choose 0 cups but playoffs every year over a cup and a playoff miss mixed in.

If making the playoffs is more important than winning a cup, then the organization has its priorities backwards.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I like his versatility but we have guys like Freddy and Geekie who can play up and down and multiple positions...I could do without him at this point.

They will, and should, resign "Woodstock," assuming he hasn't priced himself out of the market.

His versatility and responsible play are valuable commodities.

Good luck to him regardless.

Winning the cup and going to another while missing the playoffs one far outweighs no cups and every year in the playoffs.

I don’t know a single person who would choose 0 cups but playoffs every year over a cup and a playoff miss mixed in.

If making the playoffs is more important than winning a cup, then the organization has its priorities backwards.

The organization has its priorities backwards.

Could they somehow bring Hall back?

I'd love it but probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad