Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Do you guys think Poitras will be in the AHL for most the season next year? ... Now that he's eligible for the minors and just came off surgery

I think for him it'll be a strength thing. He may need more of it. Imagine Lysell on his wing in the AHL, and then both make the bigs the year after? Spicy.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The only difference here is hindsight. Because the Bruins didn't win the cup you think the trades suck.

It isn't comparable because one trade was for a bunch of UFAs for a cup run and the other was a massive overpayment followed by an overpaid contract for a guy they thought would have a long term impact.

Can you honestly say at the moment of each trade that the Jeannot trade was similar to those two trades?

It very minimally has to do with the cup, but not winning a cup is some of the factor. It has much more to do with giving up Taylor Hall and 2 years of draft assets to only have Andrew Peeke remaining from using those assets over the past 16 months.

If they still had players from those trades on the roster and providing it’s a completely different story.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I think for him it'll be a strength thing. He may need more of it. Imagine Lysell on his wing in the AHL, and then both make the bigs the year after? Spicy.
I mean he made the bigs this year. I don't see any reason to keep him down unless he's still injured.

It very minimally has to do with the cup, but not winning a cup is some of the factor. It has much more to do with giving up Taylor Hall and 2 years of draft assets to only have Andrew Peeke remaining from using those assets over the past 16 months.
You continually fail to put the Taylor Hall trade in context. The flat cap had teams paying to open up space all over the place. The Hall trade - with term - opened up space without costing any assets. At the time, that was a big win and very necessary given the Bruins structure.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yet they went out and acquired a rehabbing Maroon. Sometimes its best to let what they say go in one ear and out the other.
Wouldn't read too much into that. What they say/do at TDL in a given season is not what they necessarily do in the summer when you have money to make substantial changes.

Bruins needed some PO toughness to replace what they thought they had in Lucic and had next to nothing in terms of cap room. Certainly weren't in the position to make changes that significantly impacted team or style of play.

Not saying that what Neely said is a fact, just that saying the fact that they didn't do it at TDL isn't necessarily an indicator or what their mindset is.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Do you guys think Poitras will be in the AHL for most the season next year? ... Now that he's eligible for the minors and just came off surgery
I think that’s the smart move. He’s just coming off surgery, he definitely looked too small at times last year too. Let him grow into it a little, if he’s too good, he’ll find his way back sooner than later

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You continually fail to put the Taylor Hall trade in context. The flat cap had teams paying to open up space all over the place. The Hall trade - with term - opened up space without costing any assets. At the time, that was a big win and very necessary given the Bruins structure.

You are failing to recognize Sweeney’s poor cap management resulted in having to trade Taylor hall for almost nothing.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

If they still had players from those trades on the roster and providing it’s a completely different story.
We aren't even talking about the Hall trade whatsoever

Reactions: Kegs and JoeIsAStud

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Assuming Sweeney lands a #1 center, I’m fine with Coyle at 2C with Marchand and a Panarin type RW (Neccas/ Stamkos?)
I like the idea of Necas or Stamkos, but good lord I hope they are not a "panarin type RW".

Panarin was soft and cowardly in the playoffs. Seriously. Not seen many players consistently give up the puck because of bailing out on contact as Panarin did in the Florida series. If I was a Ranger teammate, I'd be livid at him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
You are failing to recognize Sweeney’s poor cap management resulted in having to trade Taylor hall for almost nothing.
We went for it last year. I've been critical of Sweeney in the past (the center issue looming bugged me) but he built a dynamo last year and then went after it hard at TDL which I fully supported.

If we won the Cup last year, none of us would give two shits about having to trade off assets for almost nothing.

Shit I'm still feeling some of the joy of 2011. That's what 39 years of waiting will do to a boy/man (and yes, there was basically a generation between a very young and a middle aged Number8 seeing a Cup in Boston).

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
We went for it last year. I've been critical of Sweeney in the past (the center issue looming bugged me) but he built a dynamo last year and then went after it hard at TDL which I fully supported.

If we won the Cup last year, none of us would give two shits about having to trade off assets for almost nothing.

Shit I'm still feeling some of the joy of 2011. That's what 39 years of waiting will do to a boy/man (and yes, there was basically a generation between a very young and a middle aged Number8 seeing a Cup in Boston).

Ya no kidding welcome to the real world.

He would get applauded if it worked out. And if it fails and he doesn’t retain any of the return then it’s a failure.

You don’t get to only be praised for your success and failures ignored.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I think he can be a top 6 winger but there are concerns. I love Frederic but his inconsistency, both in his physical play and offense, is a concern. He in no way should be the toughest Bruin forward. Get 2 of Duhaime, Sherwood, Maroon or deal for Olivier to take the pressure off of Frederic. I think with his shot and decent skating, mixed with more consistent physical play, he could easily fill out a top 6 role.

Sign Lindholm and Kane or Marchessault to go along with Marchand, Pasta, Zacha and try Frederic in the top six, if it works you may well have a 25 goal 5o point physical winger, literally a Tom Wilson light when he was playing his best.

Frederic-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Lindholm-Marchessault/Kane
Freddy can fight but isn’t a big hitter. He never was. He is who he is. I like him.

Reactions: BBruins and Bodit9

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ya no kidding welcome to the real world.

He would get applauded if it worked out. And if it fails and he doesn’t retain any of the return then it’s a failure.

You don’t get to only be praised for your success and failures ignored.
Don't be a dick.

I just said that the reason Hall was let go for nothing was that we went all in last year. Not because of bad asset management. Go for it all and win you're a hero. Lose and you pay the price.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Don't be a dick.

I just said that the reason Hall was let go for nothing was that we went all in last year. Not because of bad asset management. Go for it all and win you're a hero. Lose and you pay the price.

It was absolutely poor cap management due to signing 4th liners like Nick foligno, and 3rd pairing D like forbort and Mike Reilly.

1/8th of the cap going to replacement level players. That doesn’t even include regular postseason healthy scratches like gryz.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It was absolutely poor cap management due to signing 4th liners like Nick foligno, and 3rd pairing D like forbort and Mike Reilly.

1/8th of the cap going to replacement level players. That doesn’t even include regular postseason healthy scratches like gryz.
OK. Now use your own barometer of assessing successes as well as failures.

Look at the very good contracts on the B's. I'd do it for you, but I think it would be a good learning exercise for you to do it yourself.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Reading all this jibber jabber about Sweeney being a good GM or not makes me want to go start painting a room in my house that doesn't need painting and then proceeding to watch it dry.

Who cares about Sweeney, jesus! Love/like/hate him......he's here running this team so can we focus on the players and not the suits.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I mean he made the bigs this year. I don't see any reason to keep him down unless he's still injured.

I believe that he made the bigs because

1) He couldn't play in the AHL
2) They didn't think he'd gain much in juniors
3) We needed help at C

Just a perfect storm. It didn't take long for them to start resting/load balancing him. I dunno...it'll be close I think. Let's say it won't be a slam dunk he's in the 12F at the start.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Because you consider keeping Bergeron and Krejci on the 23/23 roster the way he did as poor cap management. I don't agree.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Because you consider keeping Bergeron and Krejci on the 23/23 roster the way he did as poor cap management. I don't agree.

No I consider paying 4th liners and 3rd pairing D like foligno, Mike Reilly and forbort 1/8th of the cap as poor cap management. Which in return forced the bruins to pay bergy/krejci in future cap and trade hall for pennies

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Come on what? you think third line winger I think fourth line center. You coach your team and I will coach mine, lol :)

I think Coyle stinks but at least Im keeping him in my line up.
The NHL isn't the final 8 teams. Its made up of 32 teams. You clearly don't watch the entire NHL when you make statements like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad