Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Tomorrow’s Globe:

For Bruins fans, the focus of general manager Don Sweeney’s fixing this offseason is up front, the perpetual hunt for goal scoring. All of which will group the Bruins alongside at least a couple dozen other NHL franchises in need of the same thing when free agency opens July 1.
Important to note off the top that the draft each year feeds, at best, three or four gifted scorers into the Original 32. Figuring an average career of 5-6 years, that tells us the NHL has some 20-25 players who can be considered game-changing goal scorers. Those guys exist and they demand a ton of dough.
David Pastrnak, one of the truly gifted, now makes $11.25 million a year, the going rate for that select group blessed with deadly mitts. Florida’s Sam Reinhart (57 goals/94 points), another of the gifted, is poised to cash in as an unrestricted free agent. If the Panthers allow him to get to market, a big if, underlying demand is such that he should see multiple offers beginning at seven years, $70 million.

Maybe Sweeney wins that money toss. If so, bravo. The Bruins have the cash to get it done, and the need was there during their playoff run. Just keep in mind that Reinhart, 28, is walking into a market so hot that his offers could soar upward of the $13.25 million the Maple Leafs will pay Auston Matthews next season. Only one thing is certain: There will be pain.

The Bruins haven’t added impactful offense via free agency since the summer of 2006, when Marc Savard, about to turn 29, came aboard to co-chair the No. 1 pivot spot with a 21-year-old Patrice Bergeron.

Savard was never a gifted goal scorer, pre- or post-Boston, but he arrived as one of the game’s coveted setup artists. His ample assists helped him average just under 90 points for his first three years on Causeway Street, the kind of numbers that even the uber-talented Bergeron never approached across his Hall-of-Fame-to-be career. Could there be a better case to highlight the fact that there’s a whole lot more to succeeding at the No. 1 center position than point production?

Beyond the hunt for the hot hand in front, another fix for the Black and Gold, one potentially easier to fit into the budget, would be a key alteration to the back end aimed at wringing more production out of Charlie McAvoy and Hampus Lindholm.

McAvoy still needs to channel his shooter’s ego — if it’s in there to tap — and coach Jim Montgomery has to prod him more into the offensive scheme, activating him off the right defense spot for the attack. McAvoy is a bold, imposing force when wheeling with the puck on his stick in the back end and neutral zone. With those legs and stick skills, he could cause havoc in the offensive end, at even strength and on the power play.

Once across the blue line, McAvoy is first and foremost a distributor, then a reluctant shooter and a far-too-infrequent dynamo charging to the net or wrapping around the cage for feeds into the middle. He has all the giddyup in the world. Now’s the time to see his beast-mode gumption. If not now, when?

The smooth, skilled, earnest Lindholm saw his offensive production cut in half this season, from 10-43–53 to 3-23-26. Those latter numbers are far more in line with the career average he carried here from Anaheim. Like McAvoy, the Bruins need more from him, ideally the 2002-23 version of himself, a player confident again in moving pucks up ice, maintaining offensive-zone pressure, pocketing points when they’re available. He doesn’t have to be McAvoy Lite, but just a return to Hampus Best.

Overall, the Bruins’ blue-liners saw their point production drop by more than 26 percent this season, from 39-166–205 in 2022-23 to 31-120–151. Half of that 54-point dip could be found in Lindholm’s drop from 53 to 26.

Bruins defensemen ranked a lowly 27th league-wide with 151 points, far off pace-setters Colorado (62-179-241), Edmonton (48-167–215), Vancouver (37-171–208), and the Rangers (44-157-201).

Points from the back end don’t necessarily a Stanley Cup champion make, but the Oilers and Rangers entered the weekend with that dream still on their sticks. Dallas defensemen (183 points) ranked 12th, with Florida (171) 18th.

Of the five teams whose defensemen collected fewer points than Boston’s this season, only Washington (135) qualified for the playoffs. The Rangers then mopped the floor with the Capitals, 4-0, in Round 1.

Be it by trade or the free agent market, acquiring another left-shot blue-liner could go a long way in increasing the Bruins’ offensive pop. It would be a guy to switch in and out of the Nos. 1 and 2 pairings with Lindholm, working with McAvoy or Brandon Carlo as right-side runningmate.

One in-house answer here could be Mason “Let-’er-rip” Lohrei, fresh off logging an impressive rookie season, but his work was not a sample size big enough to feel assured he could be the one who makes for a top-four reset.

Some potential defense targets to keep in mind now with free agent roughly a month away: Brady Skjei (LD), Chris Tanev (RD), Shayne Gostisbehere (LD/RD), Joel Edmundson (LD/RD), and Brandon Montour (RD). Skjei and Edmundson, their tool kits considerably different, could offer the best answers in the overall scheme to help McAvoy and Lindholm lift their offensive effectiveness.

Skjei (6 feet 3 inches, 210 pounds) looks ideal for this role. He is 30, exiting a deal with the Hurricanes that carried a $5.4 million cap hit, and just put up a career-best 13-34–47. Overall, his game could make him a seamless fit in the top four. Provided bidding doesn’t run off to crazyland, the Bruins could make it work at around $6 million.

Edmundson’s game is not nearly as offensively robust, but his size (6-5, 220) and physical play could buy McAvoy some space on the No. 1 pairing. In situations where Lindholm-McAvoy ride together, the Edmundson-Carlo duo would offer shutdown length and heft. About to turn 31, Edmundson finished the season with the Leafs on a deal carrying a $3.5 million AAV. In his final two seasons with the Blues, including the 2018-19 Cup season, he averaged 113 shots on net and 20 minutes of ice time. McAvoy hit the net 133 times this season, followed by Lindholm (99).
First pair Joel Edmundson? What could go wrong?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I completely agree with him as usual. Marchand articulated that point perfectly after the Bennett hit when he said, "That's why you see teams go the distance with a big D-corps and physical teams, and it's why you rarely see teams that are small and skilled go far." What did they talk about at the press conference? Speed and skill! They still don't get it.

Mick's point was that it can't just be Peeke on the 3rd pair and Maroon on the 4th line, on the fringes, it has to come from the top, not every single guy but throughout the lineup. The postseason is a war of attrition and if you're not attriting the other side you're losing.

Its been the #1 thing that has plagued the bruins the past decade unfortunately. We arent alone, its impacted teams like carolina and toronto too, but just goes to show that those types of teams typically dont last long in the playoffs.

Extremely effective regular season model. However, not the case in the playoffs.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If the league called playoff games to the standard of the regular season, the speed/skill teams would do better. Interference, clutch and grab, minor stick work, dirty hits- these things mostly get penalized in the regular season. Come playoff time, much less so. What other major (or minor, even) non-hockey sports league has a system where building a strong team for the season means little in the playoffs? Or perhaps better to say, privileges a certain type of team-building for the playoffs that is so often disconnected from regular season results.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If the Bruins really want Necas it may take a Carlo, all depends on the Canes ability to re-up their current UFA D-Man. As its looking like right now, D could be exactly what they want in return if their not able to come to terms with them.

If Pagnotta is right about the Bruins looking to add a 2nd-pairing RD, Carlo for Necas makes sense.

Reactions: bbfan419 and TCB

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Carlo helps the bruins more than Necas does. Carlo is the most underrated player on these boards. I guess we need a new whipping boy now that Grzelcyk is gone.
I don't want the Bruins to trade Carlo either, but if the rumors are the Bruins are looking to add a top 4 RD, speculation is kind of pointing towards the Bruins moving Carlo for offensive help.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Carlo helps the bruins more than Necas does. Carlo is the most underrated player on these boards. I guess we need a new whipping boy now that Grzelcyk is gone.

We still have 30 days to beat on Grizz- that he cost us the Florida series has not been emphazised enough around here.

I don't want the Bruins to trade Carlo either, but if the Bruins are looking to add a top 4 RD, speculation is kind of pointing towards the Bruins moving Carlo for offensive help.

The thing is, Pagnotta did not preface that with trading Carlo. He was just saying they needed to add a top 4 D which is clearly wrong as the roster currently stands. I'd like to know where he 'heard" the Bruins are looking for one of those. More likely it came out of his own head.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If the league called playoff games to the standard of the regular season, the speed/skill teams would do better. Interference, clutch and grab, minor stick work, dirty hits- these things mostly get penalized in the regular season. Come playoff time, much less so. What other major (or minor, even) non-hockey sports league has a system where building a strong team for the season means little in the playoffs? Or perhaps better to say, privileges a certain type of team-building for the playoffs that is so often disconnected from regular season results.

Final 4 teams in the playoffs this season finished 1st (Rangers), 2nd (Stars), 3rd (Panthers) and 8th (Oilers) in the regular season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Final 4 teams in the playoffs this season finished 1st (Rangers), 2nd (Stars), 3rd (Panthers) and 8th (Oilers) in the regular season.

Yes, I know this, but at the same time, I think the point is still valid. NYR is getting dummied by Florida and they beat Caps and Canes to get there, neither team built like Florida. The West doesn't seem to have that team- Stars I thought, were similar to Florida, but are wilting right now. Anyway, we are always hearing about how the playoffs are different, teams need to be more physical and bigger- it's a mantra around the league and fanbases. It seems off to me that you need to have a different type of team to be successful in the playoffs that one that will make you really good in the regular season.

Reactions: Gordoff

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The thing is, Pagnotta did not preface that with trading Carlo. He was just saying they needed to add a top 4 D which is clearly wrong as the roster currently stands. I'd like to know where he 'heard" the Bruins are looking for one of those. More likely it came out of his own head.
I hope so, but when he mentions a second pair right shot defenseman, the Bruins are fine at RD unless they are looking to make a trade.

It's hard not to understand the Bruins' current makeup on defense and mix up left and right. Maybe I'm giving Pagnotta too much credit.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I hope so, but when he mentions a second pair right shot defenseman, the Bruins are fine at RD unless they are looking to make a trade.

It's hard not to understand the Bruins' current makeup on defense and mix up left and right. Maybe I'm giving Pagnotta too much credit.

I dunno where he got that, but like many national writers that cast a wide net, he probably just doesn't know the Bruins that well. I would think he would have mentioned a trade involving Carlo if it is being whispered about as that would be a big part of Bruins story for the offseason.

Well, he’s a LHD.

Also pretty clear that Pagnotta just made a typo in saying RHD.
Ahh, that makes more sense, should have thought of that LOL.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
That’s the ratty part. I don’t call what Lomberg did to Vesey “physicality”. That’s cheap, cowardly hockey and not what I’d ever want to see from my hockey team.
There are lines I would not cross but they have to be prepared to deal with it as Vegas did. What Bennett did to Marchand, the gloved punch with the stick in the hand to an unsuspecting player, they do all the time. Even in the video of Barbashev's hit on Gudas, Lomberg is doing that to Marchessault in the background. At a minimum the other team's defensemen need to look like Charlie McAvoy at the end of a series.

Reactions: Gordoff and Yeti34

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes, I know this, but at the same time, I think the point is still valid. NYR is getting dummied by Florida and they beat Caps and Canes to get there, neither team built like Florida. The West doesn't seem to have that team- Stars I thought, were similar to Florida, but are wilting right now. Anyway, we are always hearing about how the playoffs are different, teams need to be more physical and bigger- it's a mantra around the league and fanbases. It seems off to me that you need to have a different type of team to be successful in the playoffs that one that will make you really good in the regular season.
It seems to be simply the false narrative that always goes around based on how the best teams are "built". It was size. Then it was speed. Then it was physicality. The old Oilers turned the league into an all-out road race. Devils then turned it into an all-out shutdown league.

Hockey has been the game with the most parity for a while now. Make the playoffs and you've got a shot at the Cup. I'd prefer to go into the playoffs with the most talented roster. That seems to be a good way to build a team.

Reactions: Dr Hook

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
First pair Joel Edmundson? What could go wrong?
Two points on the article:
1. Z came by free agency the same year as Savvy. That was the better half of a great haul.
2. I will giggle my ass off if Toronto mismanages their cap further by paying Matthews $13.75 million per year. Holy s(mokes). 1967.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Meh….

The Colorado Avalanche are likely to make changes to their bottom six this offseason. Andrew Cogliano, Brandon Duhaime, Yakov Trenin, and Joel Kiviranta are all depth forwards who could hit the open market. Jonathan Drouin, who found a nice home in the Avalanche's top six, will also become an unrestricted free agent if the club does not re-sign him by July 1.

Given the Avalanche's current cap situation, the Central Division club will probably target bargain players for their bottom six. When looking at this year's free agency class, one player who should grab their attention is Boston Bruins winger James van Riemsdyk.

van Riemsdyk, 35, quietly had a solid season for the Bruins in 2023-24. In 71 games, the 2007 second-overall pick posted 11 goals, 38 points, and a plus-7 rating. When noting that he only signed for $1 million, he proved to be a valuable depth addition for Boston. He could be the very same for Colorado.

van Riemsdyk is 15 years and 1,011 games into his NHL career. He has yet to lift the Stanley Cup, so it is possible that he would be open to the idea of signing with a true contender like the Avalanche.

If the Avalanche signed van Riemsdyk, he would be an option for their third line. In addition, he would be a solid addition to their second power-play unit because of his strong net-front presence ability.

Ultimately, with the Avalanche needing more forward depth, they could consider a veteran like JVR. At a cheap cap hit, he could be a worthwhile addition to an Avalanche team that could use a bit more secondary production.

The I should sign Heinen. Played college there, so it might fit with him producing only when everything around him is perfect and comfortable.

😉

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad