Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Carlo helps the bruins more than Necas does. Carlo is the most underrated player on these boards. I guess we need a new whipping boy now that Grzelcyk is gone.
Well said, you have to wonder where some people come up with this shit, not from watching the games.

Carolina would have to add significantly to Necas to get Carlo
Freaking laughable..

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I wouldn't look at Edmundson at anything above half of Forbort's last contract

And I thought he was one of the most impressive Toronto players in the series with the Bruins. But he is what he is
Really ? I thought he played great and was a beast in his own end. I mean he's not a top 4 during the season but certainly bottom pairing and once the playoffs role around he's just the kind of D-man teams are looking for, strength, intelligence and meanness.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Well said, you have to wonder where some people come up with this shit, not from watching the games.

Freaking laughable..

I like Carlo, more than most, but when you’re as flawed as the Bruins, everything needs to be considered.

Couple that with the fact that he’s not very strong offensively and what he brings, defensive play, is among the easiest attributes to find, I can understand why people might suggest moving him.

Personally, I’m not calling other GM’s and offering him up, but if someone called me and the deal made sense in conjunction with other moves, I’d move him.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like Carlo, more than most, but when you’re as flawed as the Bruins, everything needs to be considered.

Couple that with the fact that he’s not very strong offensively and what he brings, defensive play, is among the easiest attributes to find, I can understand why people might suggest moving him.

Personally, I’m not calling other GM’s and offering him up, but if someone called me and the deal made sense in conjunction with other moves, I’d move him.
Consider that he is young, solid contract and oh yeah pretty good. I get the Necas interest very valid, wingers are easier to find then top 4 D, also why weaken a solid D, to make a add up front.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Consider that he is young, solid contract and oh yeah pretty good. I get the Necas interest very valid, wingers are easier to find then top 4 D, also why weaken a solid D, to make an add up front.
I get it with one caveat.

Necas has the potential to be a very high end winger.

Carlo is a low end top 4, because of his lack of offense, IMO.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Carlo has arguably been their best defenseman over the last two playoff runs. He’s a top 4 RIGHT SHOT shutdown d man. Guys a freaking unicorn in his own right- let alone his amazing contract.

And people want to get rid of him.

Enough. Please. Selfishly for my own sanity.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Carlo has arguably been their best defenseman over the last two playoff runs. He’s a top 4 RIGHT SHOT shutdown d man. Guys a freaking unicorn in his own right- let alone his amazing contract.

And people want to get rid of him.

Enough. Please. Selfishly for my own sanity.

Carlo straight up for Svetchnikov?

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Besides adding a guy like Edmundson, I don’t really want to mess with the defense or goaltending. Not being able to put the puck in the net was the reason we lost IMO, so I want someone else that can do that well.
Goaltending was fine - great. But unfortunately one of them will have to be moved because they can not carry two highly paid goalies with the need for cap space and still address other needs. My hope is Ullmark is moved and for something more than a pick unless that pick is immediately used in another deal for an established player that fills a legitimate team need. Draft picks won't help the immediate team unless the pick is an absolute exception.

Defensemen ... a few tweaks here and there maybe add a little more snarl, grit, and punishment, but overall the personnel is capable. My issue, and because this is a message board and I can be critical, my issue is the overall team defensive system/coverage and usage/expectations of the defensemen.

With that said, the lack of offense can be contributed to other teams matching up and neutralizing our player's who have been forced to play above their effectiveness levels. I'm going to beat this dead horse until somebody proves me wrong ... playoffs are about matchups and adjustments; can't just keep doing what worked in the regular season. It will only take the team so far. Two playoffs in a row they've tried that and only slightly made adjustments (too little, too late) the last 3 games against Florida. Hopefully, the coaching staff is learning the difference.

They need to somehow add two top six forwards this offseason preferably centers so other players who remain can slot into their proper slots in the lineup. Can't keep hoping to just get by with the players they have. Unfortunately, that approach has been a trademark of the franchise for far too many years. The mid - late 80's always just that one player away that could have made the difference but management didn't want to spend. Krejci went through how many subpar wingers because management couldn't or wouldn't figure out how to get someone to ride his wing. No plan of replacement for Bergeron and Krejci retirement other than center by committee.

They need two top six centers and then let the rest of the lineup fall into place. Add one this year and if necessary add another next year, but add. At least have a plan to augment the top six. Which if done and used properly will address the lack of scoring in the playoffs by making matchups more difficult for oppents.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Carlo straight up for Svetchnikov?
Of course sarge. I’m not saying he’s not tradable. Everyone is for the right price.

It’s just not realistic that they move him any time soon IMO.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Goaltending was fine - great. But unfortunately one of them will have to be moved because they can not carry two highly paid goalies with the need for cap space and still address other needs. My hope is Ullmark is moved and for something more than a pick unless that pick is immediately used in another deal for an established player that fills a legitimate team need. Draft picks won't help the immediate team unless the pick is an absolute exception.

Defensemen ... a few tweaks here and there maybe add a little more snarl, grit, and punishment, but overall the personnel is capable. My issue, and because this is a message board and I can be critical, my issue is the overall team defensive system/coverage and usage/expectations of the defensemen.

With that said, the lack of offense can be contributed to other teams matching up and neutralizing our player's who have been forced to play above their effectiveness levels. I'm going to beat this dead horse until somebody proves me wrong ... playoffs are about matchups and adjustments; can't just keep doing what worked in the regular season. It will only take the team so far. Two playoffs in a row they've tried that and only slightly made adjustments (too little, too late) the last 3 games against Florida. Hopefully, the coaching staff is learning the difference.

They need to somehow add two top six forwards this offseason preferably centers so other players who remain can slot into their proper slots in the lineup. Can't keep hoping to just get by with the players they have. Unfortunately, that approach has been a trademark of the franchise for far too many years. The mid - late 80's always just that one player away that could have made the difference but management didn't want to spend. Krejci went through how many subpar wingers because management couldn't or wouldn't figure out how to get someone to ride his wing. No plan of replacement for Bergeron and Krejci retirement other than center by committee.

They need two top six centers and then let the rest of the lineup fall into place. Add one this year and if necessary add another next year, but add. At least have a plan to augment the top six. Which if done and used properly will address the lack of scoring in the playoffs by making matchups more difficult for oppents.

I agree with the vast majority of this.

My only difference of opinion is that given the amount of cap space they have, I’d much rather Ullmark be moved for a package of picks….hopefully including a first.

I say this because they can use this year to fill out to roster with the money that have, including what they free up by moving Linus, and hopefully use the pick he brings back to provide some cheap talent for 2026 or so.

Of course, depending on what type of roster player they could get back for him, I could live with going that route.

Of course sarge. I’m not saying he’s not tradable. Everyone is for the right price.

It’s just not realistic that they move him any time soon IMO.

I get it and agree overall, but I also don’t have a problem with moving him to address other issues, as I think he’s more easily replaced than others seem to.

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I get it with one caveat.

Necas has the potential to be a very high end winger.

Carlo is a low end top 4, because of his lack of offense, IMO.
Not to mention Carlo injury history with concussions and with the Bruins having a great amount of cap space to help replace Carlo on the back end. Necas for Carlo for me is a no-brainer. some here are acting as if he's Rod Langway, no he's Brandon Carlo a very good NHL defensive defenseman. Necas on the other hand is a game changer, incredible offensive skill that is hard to come by, imo when you have a chance to get a young talented player like that you do it.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I'm looking at the LHD list and it's weird. I don't want the Bruins to really go out of their way to pay anyone there, but I also don't want Wotherspoon being a starting dman. I like him, but he's an ideal 7D. I'm hoping some decent RFAs aren't qualified and we can give them the Geekie special.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com

Yeah, sorry. I guess I meant other than moving Ullmark. But I totally agree that two top 6 guys is the need.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Carlo is way undervalued in here. Necas would be a talented cast away, maybe a complimentary forward, not anything to count on .

Carlo was lights out this playoff run, finished with more goals than their top two centers combined and was steady Eddie on the blue line year long.

If they want to go light and skilled up front (like they haven't learned a thing) then by all means build the team aroundmore Zachas and Necas.

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Really ? I thought he played great and was a beast in his own end. I mean he's not a top 4 during the season but certainly bottom pairing and once the playoffs role around he's just the kind of D-man teams are looking for, strength, intelligence and meanness.

I don't disagree. I thought he was one of the best players on Toronto. But how much are you paying for that 3rd pairing LHD? We already have people furious we are paying Peele to be the 3rd pairing RHD.

If you get Edmundson in the 1.5-2 million range I'm absolutely all over it for 2-3 years If on the other hand you are looking at him getting 3million of more for 5-6 seasons, then I want absolutely nothing to do with him . And as this will be the silliest, silly season ever, if he goes to FA someone may just give it to him

Reactions: TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Carlo is way undervalued in here. Necas would be a talented cast away, maybe a complimentary forward not anything to count on like DeBrusk.

Carlo was lights out this playoff run, finished with more goals than their top two centers combined and was steady Eddie on the blue line year long.

If they want to go light and skilled up front (like they haven't learned a thing) then by all means build the team aroundmore Zachas and Necas.
Necas is so much more of an explosive player than Zacha their two totally different talents and if your banking on Carlo for goals, the Bruins are in trouble any goals from Carlo is a plus, its such a rare occurrence to say the least. No goals from centers is a problem and Necas has an elite level of play that could surely help change that for whoever he ends up playing with with his speed and creativity he's going to give his center iceman a whole lot of space and time.

I like Carlo and wouldn't normally move him but for Necas or a similar talent, I wouldn't think twice about it especially this year with the cap space the bruins have moving forword. Carlo has a great cap hit but his concussion history scares the bejesus out of me, as I feel he's one good sneeze of ending his career, sadly. So I'd would have no problem moving him out and finding his replacement through free agency, because there are no Necas out in the open Market.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Carlo is way undervalued in here. Necas would be a talented cast away, maybe a complimentary forward, not anything to count on .

Necas is 25 and just entering his prime. He's scored 25 and 28 goals in the last 2 seasons.

Carlo is a very good defensive defenseman, but severely lacking offensively.

You can find guys who can defend like he does much easier than you can find guys who score 28 goals.

Especially, given the need for goals on this team.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Necas is so much more of an explosive player than Zacha their two totally different talents and if your banking on Carlo for goals, the Bruins are in trouble any goals from Carlo is a plus, its such a rare occurrence to say the least. No goals from centers is a problem and Necas has an elite level of play that could surely help change that for whoever he ends up playing with with his speed and creativity he's going to give his center iceman a whole lot of space and time.

I like Carlo and wouldn't normally move him but for Necas or a similar talent, I wouldn't think twice about it especially this year with the cap space the bruins have moving forword. Carlo has a great cap hit but his concussion history scares the bejesus out of me, as I feel he's one good sneeze of ending his career, sadly. So I'd would have no problem moving him out and finding his replacement through free agency, because there are no Necas out in the open Market.
Stay away. Martin N is on his own plan. Someone will regret trading for him

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Do they go forward in a Carlo trade or picks? Utah has no defensemen on their roster and a shit ton of futures.
There are so many ways they can go this offseason, and to be honest, (at risk of looking bad) I don’t think they can enter October without a much better team than they ended the season with.

I mean, we’ll all quibble with particular moves (some more than others, of course), but IMO, there is no way they don’t get at least 3 players (and maybe up to 5, depending on what they do with Ullmark) who are better (or the same if JDB returns) than who they replaced.

Plus, Lohrei, Beecher, and Brazeau (I know he’s like 27) all gained valuable experience and will hopefully blossom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad