2023 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Yes by all means, let's put a guy who had 21 points last year on what will be our top line by default. If this is close to being the case they need to move DeBrusk back to LW and hope Lysell, Frederic, JVR or another RW can have some success with Marchand on his line.

Not really fair to Marchand, they are already giving him the Coyle anchor and now who knows what at RW but it's better than Boqvist with Pasta and Zacha.
lmao, you're a Heinen fan boy after all!!! :) :) My real question was whether or not Boqvist put a terrible showing when paired with Poitras and Pasta? The original post by Playmakers was written like Boqvist laid a big turd when given that opportunity to showcase himself with NHL talent and that's why he was being punished with AHL fodder linemates yesterday.... I'm simply curious if Boqvist has laid a big giant turd that your boy Heinen has circled around on his figure skates to pot 35 this year :) :)

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hardly fair to call out just the one player though, when Sweeney also brought in Shattenkirk, JVR, Brown and PTOs to Chiasson and Heinen. That’s a ton of we-know-what-you-are (meh) and not a lot of upside.

Lucic is a guy I’ve bit on admittedly, partly because I believe in the physical element and leadership he promises… and partly because I’m influenced by my love of him, which leads me to be irrational and forgiving. If he wasn’t Lucic but another franchise’s equivalent, I’d be just as critical as you are.

As it stands, I have an entire fistfull soggy shit sandwich that I can focus my disappointment on instead.
I'm not even calling out the player, I'm calling out the front office because I think it's possible (not likely though) that JVR and Shattenkirk don't make the team. With all the promotions and videos and trotting out Lucic, there's zero chance he's not in the opening night lineup and zero chance he gets waived during the season... no matter what.

It's antithetical to the whole idea of competition and constructing a roster with the best chance to win. The weird thing is, that the fanbase is totally ok with it. Greer had 8 fights last year. Lucic had 3. More importantly, Greer was a better player when the puck was in play. You can say that Lucic is the better fighter and that there is some benefit to having that on the team. That's fine. But then you have to ask is that worth carrying 1 fewer player on the team? Let's say they start the year w/ 600k in space, no Lucic and instead, having Greer clears enough that you could carry an extra player. But now you can't do that because Lucic makes 1m. He can't be waived without his permission and even if they got his permission, his 1m stays on the cap because it's a 35+ contract. Even if he throws in the towel and retires.... that million is on the books for the year.

All because the front office wants to give bread and circus to the fanbas. I will say they, that they do know what their customers want. If they gave the guy a PTO like Heinen and made him earn it, that would be one thing. But they totally gifted him a roster spot.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
They’ve also talked about nothing but being more physical. They work it into every discussion and tweet. Well, Lucic is nothing if not more physical.
Plus, as both you and I saw he looked pretty good out on the ice at Warrior Arena.

He isn't slow and participated is everything on the ice.

As most know I am a big Looch fan but even I was surprised how fast he looked.

No he isn't 2011 Looch but I feel he is better than some here think.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Regarding Boqvist, he was with Pasta and Poitras the other day ... not a good showing? People point to the management seeing the Poitras with Pasta chemistry ... which is likely not a this year thing but a long term goal ..... for the short term I actually think it was to see if Boqvist and Pasta had chemistry ...wouldn't be surprised to see them paired again in the second game ..not sure if they are sold on either JVR or Heinin being the 2nd line options for Pasta ...might be more interested in speed and skill to match compliment speed and skill. I didn't see how the line played, just read a lot about Poitras being excited to play with Pasta. Boqvist shit the bed on that line on that day?

No, not a particularly good showing. He didn’t catch your eye with his speed, he didn’t make any noticeable plays or score. I would like him to do well because he’s only 24 and that would be like found money but he didn’t stand out (to me at least). I wasn’t surprised to see him skating with AHL’ers yesterday because the guys he’s competing with (Heinen, Richard, Harrison…) have all been more noticeable.

Nobody is winning or losing a job in the first week of camp so there is plenty of time to make his mark. JVR hasn’t been great either, fwiw. Maybe they’re both just getting their sea legs, and will step up big next week.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
It feels like Lucic is here for one reason, and one reason only, and that's to fill the leadership void left by Bergeron, Krejci, and Foligno, which frankly does not speak well of the rest of the roster if Sweeney didn't think they were capable of filling that role themselves.
He’s here for multiple reasons - leadership & kick the F out of the fake tough guys

I would have done this but I’m a football guy and like only tough guys and Heinrn & Boqvist

• Haha
Reactions: jgatie and sarge88

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
lmao, you're a Heinen fan boy after all!!! :) :) My real question was whether or not Boqvist put a terrible showing when paired with Poitras and Pasta? The original post by Playmakers was written like Boqvist laid a big turd when given that opportunity to showcase himself with NHL talent and that's why he was being punished with AHL fodder linemates yesterday.... I'm simply curious if Boqvist has laid a big giant turd that your boy Heinen has circled around on his figure skates to pot 35 this year :) :)
My bad. Bit tired when I responded

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I'm not even calling out the player, I'm calling out the front office because I think it's possible (not likely though) that JVR and Shattenkirk don't make the team. With all the promotions and videos and trotting out Lucic, there's zero chance he's not in the opening night lineup and zero chance he gets waived during the season... no matter what.

It's antithetical to the whole idea of competition and constructing a roster with the best chance to win. The weird thing is, that the fanbase is totally ok with it. Greer had 8 fights last year. Lucic had 3. More importantly, Greer was a better player when the puck was in play. You can say that Lucic is the better fighter and that there is some benefit to having that on the team. That's fine. But then you have to ask is that worth carrying 1 fewer player on the team? Let's say they start the year w/ 600k in space, no Lucic and instead, having Greer clears enough that you could carry an extra player. But now you can't do that because Lucic makes 1m. He can't be waived without his permission and even if they got his permission, his 1m stays on the cap because it's a 35+ contract. Even if he throws in the towel and retires.... that million is on the books for the year.

All because the front office wants to give bread and circus to the fanbas. I will say they, that they do know what their customers want. If they gave the guy a PTO like Heinen and made him earn it, that would be one thing. But they totally gifted him a roster spot.
He won't be retiring, he will lead the team in hits, actually give them a physical presence for 10 to 12 minutes a night and hopefully gets extended for another year during the season so I can hear the screams, wails and clutching of Pearl's from people who hate physical players and would rather have Ryan Spooner on the team.

Kind of like I sound when I talk about Heinen.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He won't be retiring, he will lead the team in hits, actually give them a physical presence for 10 to 12 minutes a night and hopefully gets extended for another year during the season so I can hear the screams, wails and clutching of Pearl's from people who hate physical players and would rather have Ryan Spooner on the team.

Kind of like I sound when I talk about Heinen.

I don't think anyone hates physical players

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Has nothing to do with it.

I said keep Greer over Lucic if you want fighting. He fought more than 2s as many times as Lucic did.

Maybe try reading beyond just the name of the poster and see what they said.
Let me preface this by saying, I was a huge fan of Lucic and his game his first go-round with the B’s (the handshake line not as much). That said, I agree with a lot of what Dave is saying, and based on what I saw in Calgary last season, I’m concerned.

Lucic’s skating was never good, and he has clearly lost a step or two. I do think he’s gotten much smarter about the angles he takes on the forecheck and he gets to the puck carrier quicker because of that. I’m not sure it’s enough to overcome his lack of footspeed. I also think his fighting numbers are lower than a guy like Greer’s because nobody is really afraid of Greer, while they are still afraid of Lucic.

It’s pretty clear that he loves Boston and Boston loves him. I hope he is in great shape and his skating is not a liability. I also hope that if he’s not playing well, the coaching staff is not afraid to sit him down.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
While Lucic's defensive numbers make him appear a far worse player at this point than Greer is to me.

For the people complaining about Monty not going to give the kids a chance... It's Sweeney who gifted a nostalgia act a spot on the roster no matter what.

Advantage to Looch is his enforcer capability. The Bruins constantly preach defense of teammates but still rarely follow through. Lucic adds that element without hesitation and will finish the "playoff clean" hits the Bruins are rare to finish of late.

Reactions: capecodder

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Advantage to Looch is his enforcer capability. The Bruins constantly preach defense of teammates but still rarely follow through. Lucic adds that element without hesitation and will finish the "playoff clean" hits the Bruins are rare to finish of late.

Looch hits to hurt.

Which is rare for this team, aside from McAvoy, on occasion.

I hope that rubs off on Frederic, Beecher, Lauko, and a few others.

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
1695573227175.jpeg

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I don't think anyone hates physical players
It was explained yesterday to me that players that fight and hitting can cause CTE problems and we dont need those types of players but more Boqvists, Heinens, and two way players with speed and skill as that is how the game is evolving and to save the children. Not sure how anyone who watched the playoffs would think Bennet, Gudas and Tkachuk didn't impact the outcome of the Bruins series and were instrumental in helping get Florida to the finals.

There is a percentage of this fan base that probably would be very happy if the NHL become the 3 Ice Challenge league. It is small.but it is there

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
When did fighting = physical?
It doesn't but most people who hate fighting hate physical players. Gudas doesn't fight but I would love him on this team. I want a Lucic or Jake Middleton but if you are just a guy who finishes his checks with bad intent I am usually a fan.

Reactions: Bodit9 and sarge88

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Let me preface this by saying, I was a huge fan of Lucic and his game his first go-round with the B’s (the handshake line not as much). That said, I agree with a lot of what Dave is saying, and based on what I saw in Calgary last season, I’m concerned.

Lucic’s skating was never good, and he has clearly lost a step or two. I do think he’s gotten much smarter about the angles he takes on the forecheck and he gets to the puck carrier quicker because of that. I’m not sure it’s enough to overcome his lack of footspeed. I also think his fighting numbers are lower than a guy like Greer’s because nobody is really afraid of Greer, while they are still afraid of Lucic.

It’s pretty clear that he loves Boston and Boston loves him. I hope he is in great shape and his skating is not a liability. I also hope that if he’s not playing well, the coaching staff is not afraid to sit him down.

Looch's straight line speed is still very good. It's the turns he's always struggled with because he's so damn huge. Lucic mentioned during a podcast interview that a few scouts had called him after the tournament from the summer and were surprised that he could still move well for his size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad