2023 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Has nothing to do with it.

I said keep Greer over Lucic if you want fighting. He fought more than 2s as many times as Lucic did.

Maybe try reading beyond just the name of the poster and see what they said.

Nice argument, but it ignores one thing. Lucic didn't fight more because he destroyed everyone he did fight. Nobody outside of the true heavies is going to take on someone who one punched MacDermid. Even Reaves ducked him. You can't get that kind of intimidation from AJ Greer.

When did fighting = physical?

Never said it did. I was speaking to his dislike of Milan Lucic.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Looch's straight line speed is still very good. It's the turns he's always struggled with because he's so damn huge. Lucic mentioned during a podcast interview that a few scouts had called him after the tournament from the summer and were surprised that he could still move well for his size.
Yep. Lucic was underrated for his straight line speed, even though he scored a large percent of his goals by beating defensemen to the far post for redirects. He looked to me like he still has that. He was getting up and down the ice just fine this week.

Where he’s less effective is the starts/stops and darts. He was great in line rushes and Ozone play (he’d set up in front of the net and scored a half dozen goals within 2’ of the crease), but when he was on the defensive side of small area games he wasn’t darting around getting his stick in lanes like the young guys.

But all players have strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully Monty will use him in a way that plays to his strengths. Maybe we’re going to see an old school Crash Line like NJ trotted out In the 90’s (Holik, McKay, Peluso). Lucic - McLaughlin - Brown was the line at practice yesterday. That line could throw 500 hits in a season.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yep. Lucic was underrated for his straight line speed, even though he scored a large percent of his goals by beating defensemen to the far post for redirects. He looked to me like he still has that. He was getting up and down the ice just fine this week.

Where he’s less effective is the starts/stops and darts. He was great in line rushes and Ozone play (he’d set up in front of the net and scored a half dozen goals within 2’ of the crease), but when he was on the defensive side of small area games he wasn’t darting around getting his stick in lanes like the young guys.

But all players have strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully Monty will use him in a way that plays to his strengths. Maybe we’re going to see an old school Crash Line like NJ trotted out In the 90’s (Holik, McKay, Peluso). Lucic - McLaughlin - Brown was the line at practice yesterday. That line could throw 500 hits in a season.
i love looch, and those who don't like the signing - like the quincy guy and others yakking about it - are entitled to their opinion.

bill - i haven't paid all that much attention, but have there been any PP reps at all? mostly curious how monty is going to utilize
the D personnel this year. we saw orlov step in and kick mcavoy/lindholm to PP2 at one point. shattenkirk does have PP chops,
so wonder how they plan to use him.

Reactions: Ladyfan

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Looch's straight line speed is still very good. It's the turns he's always struggled with because he's so damn huge. Lucic mentioned during a podcast interview that a few scouts had called him after the tournament from the summer and were surprised that he could still move well for his size.
Agreed. Even 9 or 10 years ago many were saying Lucic had become too slow for the NHL. Then we saw him on the line with Spooner and Pasta. Didn't fit the narrative too well because he 100% was able to keep up with two fast players on his line quite well. Matter of fact, that line was excellent and didn't lose a step with Looch on it.

I realize it's a decade later, however as you point out Looch still has good straight line speed. He is no speed demon in other areas, but I think his strengths will outweigh his weaknesses on this season's Bs team. Anyone thinking that Looch is here purely for sentimental/PR reasons is mistaken. He's here because he adds a couple things the Bs very much need. 1) A lot of leadership walked out the door when Bergy, Krech, and Foligno left. Looch will bring leadership in spades. 2) The physicality and intimidation factor have been needed for many years. Looch brings that as well, even if he only plays 10-12 mins per game.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
i love looch, and those who don't like the signing - like the quincy guy and others yakking about it - are entitled to their opinion.

bill - i haven't paid all that much attention, but have there been any PP reps at all? mostly curious how monty is going to utilize
the D personnel this year. we saw orlov step in and kick mcavoy/lindholm to PP2 at one point. shattenkirk does have PP chops,
so wonder how they plan to use him.
No, no PP reps at all. There’s probably too many guys there right now to run the PP and the regulars are split across two different groups.

It’s been mostly 5on5 work. Flow drills, line rushes from breakouts, forechecking, neutral zone work, offensive zone schemes...

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Watching Leafs-Sens. Question to panel, most important addition to Leafs? Sam Constantino clearly states Ryan Reaves. Too bad there is no room for players like that anymore today:sarcasm:

Reactions: capecodder

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
No, no PP reps at all. There’s probably too many guys there right now to run the PP and the regulars are split across two different groups.

It’s been mostly 5on5 work. Flow drills, line rushes from breakouts, forechecking, neutral zone work, offensive zone schemes...
PK will be interesting to watch tonight. Would like to see how DeBrusk handles being the #2 PK pair with Coyle

Reactions: hrdpuk and BMC

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It was explained yesterday to me that players that fight and hitting can cause CTE problems and we dont need those types of players but more Boqvists, Heinens, and two way players with speed and skill as that is how the game is evolving and to save the children. Not sure how anyone who watched the playoffs would think Bennet, Gudas and Tkachuk didn't impact the outcome of the Bruins series and were instrumental in helping get Florida to the finals.

There is a percentage of this fan base that probably would be very happy if the NHL become the 3 Ice Challenge league. It is small.but it is there

Strawmen as far as the eye can see

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Watching Leafs-Sens. Question to panel, most important addition to Leafs? Sam Constantino clearly states Ryan Reaves. Too bad there is no room for players like that anymore today:sarcasm:
He’s 37 and the girl everyone wants to date but for whatever reason after a short time had enough

I’ll take Lucic who’s infinity better than Reaves

Hopefully Looch can play at least 2 years here

His hands are Uber underrated - and that Calgary game they stole on Orlov Night I watched Lucic and he was motoring

10 minutes all you need

I’m a Lauko guy - however took him 7 minutes of playing time to F up game 5

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Poitras looks like the real deal has this bergy coming out of camp vibe .
Different player and Bergeron struck many of us as - this guy can start out as a later day Donny Marcotte

He (Bergy) can probably be very good on the third line - everything he does looks like it should be in a ‘Learn to play hockey’ video

What sold me on Bergeron he was the initiator of strong checks - in the play not looking to get them

He was just advanced in all 3 zones

Poitras different type of player

My ETA full time top 6 is 2024-25 (hey he’s still 21)

I’m only right 80% here so he can prove me wrong

My dream scenario eventually

Zacha - Poitras - Pastrnak

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
He’s 37 and the girl everyone wants to date but for whatever reason after a short time had enough

I’ll take Lucic who’s infinity better than Reaves

Hopefully Looch can play at least 2 years here

His hands are Uber underrated - and that Calgary game they stole on Orlov Night I watched Lucic and he was motoring

10 minutes all you need

I’m a Lauko guy - however took him 7 minutes of playing time to F up game 5
I honestly can't wait for Looch to beat the brakes off of Reaves this season. Zero chances Reeves can duck him this season. I've watched their games, specifically when Reeves was in Vegas and Looch was in Edm/Cal. Looch went at him numerous times and Reeves just mouthed. Wanted nothing to do with him.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Liking him is one thing but the Bergeron coming out of camp part is another and is not reality.

I'm not so sure anymore. I am super skeptical about teenagers in the NHL and generally like prospects to take the long road, but Poitras' game yesterday was an eye opener. It's not just the goal and the assist, he was breaking up plays in all three zones and winning puck battles. For me, the burden on a 19 year old skill forward is that they have to be one of the very best players in camp through the entire preseason. Like 1st, 2nd or 3rd star in every game they play. Poitras hit that mark last night, the question is whether he can keep it up.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly can't wait for Looch to beat the brakes off of Reaves this season. Zero chances Reeves can duck him this season. I've watched their games, specifically when Reeves was in Vegas and Looch was in Edm/Cal. Looch went at him numerous times and Reeves just mouthed. Wanted nothing to do with him.
Wow - didn’t know that

I’m a Lucic guy and named my toughest fish Looch. None of the other fish wanted any part of him. The clown fish cut their bullshit picking on the black and gold (actually yellow) the day Looch hit the tank

I see a correlation

Toronto blows

They are a Fantasy team the darlings of people growing up playing fantasy football, baseball and hockey

Good luck with that D

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Smart man. There's no way he gets that deal in Toronto if Lucic beat the tar out of him last March.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Nice argument, but it ignores one thing. Lucic didn't fight more because he destroyed everyone he did fight. Nobody outside of the true heavies is going to take on someone who one punched MacDermid. Even Reaves ducked him. You can't get that kind of intimidation from AJ Greer.

Never said it did. I was speaking to his dislike of Milan Lucic.

Well after last night there isn't any doubt why Lucic is back. Greer was lucky
they literally weren't carrying him off the ice.

Reactions: jgatie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad