2023 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tomorrow’s Globe hockey notes:

Asked on Wednesday about plans to discuss a contract extension with Jake DeBrusk, Sweeney said, “We’d like to know if Jake indeed does want to be here … and hopefully we can find common ground,” then added he’d like to see the 26-year-old winger remain in Black and Gold. That said, if Sweeney can engage in substantive talks for a legit No. 1 center, be it Elias Lindholm (Calgary) or Mark Scheifele (Winnipeg), it’s a given that DeBrusk would be bundled into the package …

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Asked on Wednesday about plans to discuss a contract extension with Jake DeBrusk, Sweeney said, “We’d like to know if Jake indeed does want to be here … and hopefully we can find common ground,” then added he’d like to see the 26-year-old winger remain in Black and Gold. That said, if Sweeney can engage in substantive talks for a legit No. 1 center, be it Elias Lindholm (Calgary) or Mark Scheifele (Winnipeg), it’s a given that DeBrusk would be bundled into the package …
“It’s a given”. Ok.

Reactions: dangermike

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

I'm pretty sure Jake has said and is on the record again recently saying he wants to be here. Hopefully they get it done. Doing it now would be ideal.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Marchand Coyle JDB
#2LW Zacha Pastrnak
#3LW Geekie Frederic
Lucic #4C #4RW

After a week of camp, some thoughts on how things are playing out so far…

#2LW
JVR was the pre-camp favorite. He’s been ok. Not great, not awful. Vets can take time to ramp up.
Heinen has been excellent. Stealing pucks, making plays and picking corners. He’s forcing his way onto this team in some capacity.
Wild Card: Lysell looks really good with #63 and if he earns a spot on the Marchand line they could move JDB moves to Zacha’s LW.
Wilder Card: Harrison has been scoring goals in buckets. He‘s on a line with Steen and the two of them have been wreaking havoc.

#3LW
I think Boqvist was the pre-camp favorite, but he should be worrried. He was skating with Hall and Pederson today. Message sent.
Heinen has been better than Boqvist and is a classic two-way 3rd liner.
Richard has looked good with Geekie and Freddy. He brings the speed they lost from Hall and has that “I’m desperate to make the team” determination to his game.
Toporowski hasn’t been playing with top line players (which makes me think he’s a long shot) but he also looks really quick and determined and he’s sniping out there.
Wild Card: Merkulov gets moved to wing. He’s been good in camp, good shooter, good passer, good pace, and has played LW.

#4C
I think Brown was the pre-camp favorite, and he’s doing well. Scored some nice goals today but he did it from the wing.
McLaughlin is pushing hard for a spot. He played center today with Lucic and Brown. He’s been fast, physical and tenacious.
Beecher has gotten all the hype and he’s doing well, but he’s not as hungry for this spot as McLaughlin IMHO.

#4RW
I think Lauko was the pre-camp favorite and he’s doing well. He’s using his speed, he’s scoring and he’s made some nice plays.
Chiasson is also pushing hard for a spot. He’s got NHL size, he’s got speed, he’s experienced and you can see it with good stick positioning. This will be a tough cut.
Steen has had a really good camp and is looking like the guy we saw two years ago.

OT: Poitras has also been really good. He’s skating with Pasta and keeping up, reading #88 and making plays. We’ll see where it goes.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
If it's a choice between Frederic or JVR with Pasta and Zacha I would rather see Freddy. Top line minutes with 2nd unit pp time I think he can be a 25-25-50 guy.

Being more consistent physically is the biggest, seemingly toughest part for him.

It could happen, but JVR would have to forfeit his stake on that position, and I don't see that happening, at least not for a while.

Do you believe Frederic deserves that role, or do you simply want to see what he has?

Montgomery's motivation is to win games, and if he believes JVR gives him a better chance than Frederic to do that, he'll go with JVR. This isn't a rebuilding season, and the emphasis will be on winning, not, particularly, on development.

Recall that those 17 goals came on a stacked team that went on a historic regular season run.

What will Trent give you this season, when the Bruins will rely primarily on their goaltending and defense to win low scoring games.

Hmmm, so who would be the odd man out there-Zboril? Forby?

You have to ask?

Get rid of Zboril. Yesterday.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

The fact that they have Heinen doing photo ops for the centennial jerseys feels pretty telling to me, I'd be shock if he's not on the roster opening night.

I think you're right. He's an unspectacular, versatile, two-way player. He can help, and I don't believe he'll hurt you.

I'm not particularly a fan, but you can never have enough responsible, three zone depth.

Reactions: Gordoff

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Marchand Coyle JDB
#2LW Zacha Pastrnak
#3LW Geekie Frederic
Lucic #4C #4RW

#2LW
JVR was the pre-camp favorite. He’s been ok. Not great, not awful. Vets can take time to ramp up.
Heinen has been excellent. Stealing pucks, making plays and picking corners. He’s forcing his way onto this team in some capacity.
Wild Card: Lysell looks really good with #63 and if he earns a spot on the Marchand line they could move JDB moves to Zacha’s LW.
Wilder Card: Harrison is flying out there and scoring goals in buckets. He‘s on a line with Steen and the two of them have been wreaking havoc.

#3LW
I think Boqvist was the pre-camp favorite, but he should be worrried. He was skating with Hall and Pederson today. Message sent.
Richard has looked good with Geekie and Freddy. He brings the speed they lost from Hall and has that “I’m desperate to make the team” determination to his game.
Toporowski hasn’t been playing with top line players (which makes me think he’s a long shot) but he also looks really quick and determined and he’s sniping out there.
Wild Card: Merkulov gets moved to wing. He’s been good in camp, good shooter, good passer, good pace, and has played LW.

#4C
I think Brown was the pre-camp favorite, and he’s doing well. Scored some nice goals today but he did it from the wing.
McLaughlin is pushing hard for a spot. He played center today with Lucic and Brown. He’s been fast, physical and tenacious.
Beecher has gotten all the hype and he’s doing well, but he’s not as hungry for this spot as McLaughlin IMHO.

#4RW
I think Lauko was the pre-camp favorite and he’s doing well. He’s using his speed, he’s scoring and he’s made some nice plays.
Chiasson is also pushing hard for a spot. He’s got NHL size, he’s got speed, he’s experienced and you can see it with good stick positioning. This will be a tough cut.
Steen has had a really good camp and is looking like the guy we saw two years ago.

OT: Poitras has also been really good. He’s skating with Pasta and keeping up, reading #88 and making plays. We’ll see where it goes.
Thank you for all of this! Reallly good stuff and very much appreciated

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Marchand Coyle JDB
#2LW Zacha Pastrnak
#3LW Geekie Frederic
Lucic #4C #4RW

#2LW
Wilder Card: Harrison is flying out there and scoring goals in buckets. He‘s on a line with Steen and the two of them have been wreaking havoc.

#3LW

#4C

#4RW

Thanks much!

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
It could happen, but JVR would have to forfeit his stake on that position, and I don't see that happening, at least not for a while.

Do you believe Frederic deserves that role, or do you simply want to see what he has?

Montgomery's motivation is to win games, and if he believes JVR gives him a better chance than Frederic to do that, he'll go with JVR. This isn't a rebuilding season, and the emphasis will be on winning, not, particularly, on development.

Recall that those 17 goals came on a stacked team that went on a historic regular season run.

What will Trent give you this season, when the Bruins will rely primarily on their goaltending and defense to win low scoring games.

I think Sweeney got JVR to replace Bertuzzi’s net front presence and playmaking down low, but what I think JVR (and Bertuzzi) lack is a good defensive game. And what Zacha and Pasta lack is a good defensive winger. So on paper at least, there’s a potential fit for Frederic on that line. Frederic will play the net front, and he’s a strong defensive winger. I don’t know that he has the offensive chops to hang with those two, but I wouldn’t have been against trying Frederic on that wing.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

You have to ask?

Get rid of Zboril. Yesterday.
No, this is the year he breaks out and becomes a top 4 D :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad