GDT: 2023 Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is Orlov always this heavy at 214 pounds, at 5’11? He’s either an absolute muscular tank or he came into camp overweight. He’s the third heaviest player on the team behind 6’6 Burns & 6’4 Staal.
I saw the same video being referenced and I’d go with “absolute muscular tank”. The video also talks about everyone being impressive with his work ethic.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Dear league. Get f***ed, its our time

906k0iwpempb1.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
While I don't disagree with you, Rod is also a coach who changes his lines up A TON. The only set line he's really settled on lately had been Nino-Staal-Fast with Marty taking Nino's spot once Nino left. Every other line changes pretty damn consistently. So I'm not sure it really matters what opening night lineup is or what camp lineup is. It's all going to change.
Sure, Every coach changes lines up way more than fans want them to if things get stale. Certainly RBA will and I wasn't implying otherwise.

Thing is, we have a veteran team and there are some scenarios that will very likely play out to start the season and it's indicative in the initial training camp line-ups, barring a trade or injury.

Defense:
1) Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Pesce will very likely be together due to their history and success in the past.
2) That leaves Orlov and either TDA or Chatfield. IMO, TDA will get the nod as they want him on the PP.

Offense:

1) Aho will very likely be with Jarvis and 1 other "heavier" player. That means either Bunting or Svech.
2) Staal will be with at least 1 of Martinook or Fast, maybe both if Svech isn't ready opening night.
3) Svech-KK-Necas will likely be a line if Svech is healthy. If not, I would expect TT to be there.
4) The rest of the guys will be rotating on the 4th line.

Down the road that may change (ie..try a Svech-Aho-Necas line for instance), but given what we've seen in the past, I think it's just coach speak (or reporter speak) to say these lines don't mean much right now.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Sure, Every coach changes lines up way more than fans want them to if things get stale. Certainly RBA will and I wasn't implying otherwise.

Thing is, we have a veteran team and there are some scenarios that will very likely play out to start the season and it's indicative in the initial training camp line-ups, barring a trade or injury.

Defense:
1) Slavin-Burns and Skjei-Pesce will very likely be together due to their history and success in the past.
2) That leaves Orlov and either TDA or Chatfield. IMO, TDA will get the nod as they want him on the PP.

Offense:

1) Aho will very likely be with Jarvis and 1 other "heavier" player. That means either Bunting or Svech.
2) Staal will be with at least 1 of Martinook or Fast, maybe both if Svech isn't ready opening night.
3) Svech-KK-Necas will likely be a line if Svech is healthy. If not, I would expect TT to be there.
4) The rest of the guys will be rotating on the 4th line.

Down the road that may change (ie..try a Svech-Aho-Necas line for instance), but given what we've seen in the past, I think it's just coach speak (or reporter speak) to say these lines don't mean much right now.

I'm looking at the average amount of PP time TDA would play during a game vs. the amount of 5-on-5 time the "3rd pair" would get if Orlov is on it and thinking Chat will split time with TDA to some extent. Maybe Chat gets some games on the road where Rod can't dictate the defensive match ups?

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
One thing I am interested to watch is how Svech looks when he comes back. I remember Derrick Rose said he was a bit hesitant to do the same things he did before the injury and I'm wondering if somehow it will affect Svech's game. I don't think so, but I also did not expect him to disappear in the Boston series after the Lindholm hit so honestly who knows.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
I feel like Bunting and Noesen are a bit redundant on that second unit. Sounds like a plan for Necas and TT to play catch until Orlov is ready for the bomb and let those two bury rebounds. Also feels like we’re short a pp forward which is impressive since we have two d on one of the units.
Feels like Suzuki would be better suited, skillwise, for a spot on PP2. I'd love it if the kid could continue that prospect camp scoring touch in training camp. Rooting for him.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I feel like Bunting and Noesen are a bit redundant on that second unit. Sounds like a plan for Necas and TT to play catch until Orlov is ready for the bomb and let those two bury rebounds. Also feels like we’re short a pp forward which is impressive since we have two d on one of the units.

Maybe, but I think you put KK in one of those spots and all of the sudden you don’t feel a man short.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Dear league. Get f***ed, its our time

View attachment 745161
This needs to be in the 'Best Photos in Hockey' thread.

NHL needs more Jarvy Juice. I'm certainly drinking it.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
I didn’t realize he was coming over to North America I had been hoping he’d play this season against better competition.
No where to play him with no AHL affiliate. He could play in the ECHL but would that be any better than playing at home?

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
No where to play him with no AHL affiliate. He could play in the ECHL but would that be any better than playing at home?
just because they don't have an affiliate agreement doesn't mean players in our system are barred from the ahl. we can loan them to any team that will work with us. not ideal, as they won't be getting coaching from guys picked by the canes, but guys can work on getting used to north american ice against better competition.

for vondras specifically, at his age, minors in north america isn't really a bad option for learning a new land.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
That’s not really correct. He hasn’t signed his ELC yet and hasn’t really played above the u20 level in Czechia so I doubt the lack of an ahl affiliate has anything to do with it. I doubt he was ever really being considered for a spot there considering this and also with Kochetkov and Perets already under contract

The ohl will be better for him than u20 in czechia. Higher level of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad