GDT: 2023 Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Do you have a source here?
The NHL-SHL transfer agreement.

Swedish journalist talking about the transfer policy changes from the new agreement: ”Det största avtalet i svensk idrottshistoria”

The return policy means that if a player was drafted outside the first round, their Swedish club must approve of an AHL assignment if said player is younger than 24 (was younger than 21 before).

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
English Translation (don't know if club or NHL pays draft fee and I presume that the fee doesn't count against the cap):
"Right now there are 82 Swedish players in the NHL and I think that number may increase in the coming years.

The changes in the new agreement​

The previous agreements have given Sweden money when each individual player signed a contract with an NHL club. That sum is now adjusted upwards and distributed between the clubs where the player has been active for the past four years. The club the player represented last year before the move receives 40 percent of the transfer fee and then it drops to 20 percent per year for the other three years.

But the new agreement also gives a certain amount to the Hockey Association when Swedish players are drafted.

- It is money that will be earmarked for elite development. We will use the money for training camps, tournaments and training of coaches and referees, says Peter Forsberg.

Here's a little about the amounts and which dates apply to transfers between Sweden and the NHL:

In the previous agreement, the sum per player who signed an NHL contract was about 260,000 dollars. Now it increases to $381,500, of which $361,500 goes to the clubs while $20,000 ends up with the Hockey Association in the form of the new so-called "draft compensation".

The draft money is distributed so that the association receives $35,000 if the player is selected in the 1st round and $20,000 for later rounds.

- We get SEK 600,000 more per player than before with the new agreement.

"There have been tough negotiations"​

Here are the dates for transitions:

The signing deadline is June 15.

The signing deadline for players drafted in the same year is July 15.

If NHL clubs wait until August 15 to sign a player drafted in the first round, a penalty of $100,000 will be added.

As for how a player can be sent from the NHL club to the AHL or home to Sweden, the regulations are these:

A player drafted in the 1st round can be sent to the farm league AHL.

If the player was drafted in the 2nd round or later, the player's Swedish club must be asked first. If the player has not reached the age of 24, he must be sent home. That age limit was 21 years earlier.

- It is good for Swedish hockey that players who do not take a place after the NHL clubs' training camps return to Sweden and continue their education there. We don't want to see so many young Swedish players in the AHL when they can play in the SHL or Hockeyallsvenskan, says Peter Forsberg.

The new agreement extends over the next eight years, but with an option to break the deal after four years.

- There have been tough negotiations, but I think the NHL has shown good sense and listened to our demands. And it has been important that Johan Hemlin was involved all the way, so that the SHL also had full transparency and received all the information, comments Peter Forsberg."

The NHL could take the players for free​

The truth is that the NHL was able to take the players for free.

- That's the way it is, since all players have a so-called 'out' in their contracts with their Swedish clubs. But that has never been an argument that the NHL has advanced.

The new agreement was delayed for two years due to the pandemic.

- Our strategy has been to maintain the discussions even during the pandemic in order to now be able to sign this agreement, concludes Peter Forsberg on the phone from New York.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well yeah, but that's where my disagreement and confusion comes from.

They've got Colorado at 8th in defensive rating within the same series of season previews. I would never take NYRs D over Avs.

It shouldn’t be that confusing, one comes from the analytics guy that runs the numbers and compares them to each other, and the other comes from a guy’s opinion about stuff.

In the analytics one, the one where the Rangers are 3rd, the Avs are 2nd… so no need to disagree there!

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
It shouldn’t be that confusing, one comes from the analytics guy that runs the numbers and compares them to each other, and the other comes from a guy’s opinion about stuff.

In the analytics one, the one where the Rangers are 3rd, the Avs are 2nd… so no need to disagree there!
Where do you see Avs at 2nd?

1696438016219.png

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Ranking goes:

Tier 1
1. Carolina
2. Colorado
3. Vegas
4. Boston

Tier 2
5. Calgary
6. NYR
Boy the overrating of McAvoy must really boost Boston, because I'm honestly not even sure I'd rank it top 10

Lindholm - McAvoy
Grzelcyk - Carlo
Fobort/Zboril - Shattenkirk

I mean that's decent, but those pairings seem pretty average, nobody really playing up or down the lineup much.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
My guess is, as Anton Dubinchuk is saying, there's a difference between the defensive rating of a team and a grade of the team's 6 defenders.

A team like the Islanders would have an outsized defensive rating because their forwards are strong defensively and they have a top 3 goalie in the league. Their D is very average, but add it with the rest of the team and you could argue the Islanders are like 10th-12th in the league or so.

However, I think it's silly they have Panarin as a neutral defensive player. I don't see it.

What surprises me is that they have the Devils so low. I think they're a lock for a top 5 team, and they're going to be our contender for the Metro crown if you ask me.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Can you please clarity/cite a source?

Generally (there is an exception) NA prospects have to be at least 20 to play in the AHL. However, all the articles I've read re: Euro drafted players is that they can immediately play in the AHL (save KHL contracts).
It is an existing element in the NHL/IIHF Transfer Agreement that 18-19 y.o. players (drafted outside the 1st round) need to be offered back to the Euro team if they don't make it to the NHL roster. It's not just with the SHL though SHL has made themselves a bit of a special case and gotten special concessions. The NHL team has stronger say with the 1st rounders.

It is somewhat similar thing as is in the NHL/CHL Transfer agreement, but the Euro teams to my understanding are less stringent and less dicks about it so you don't hear mucj about it. They sure like the ~$230k transfer fee monies...

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Forwards Zach Aston-Reese, Kieffer Bellows, Cory Conacher, Brendan Perlini and Nick Shore and defenseman Nathan Beaulieu have been released from their professional tryout (PTO) contracts. Forwards Noel Gunler, Blake Murray and Justin Robidas and defensemen Anttoni Honka, Griffin Mendel and Ronan Seeley have been assigned to the Norfolk Admirals (ECHL). Forward Jamieson Rees has been assigned to the Springfield Thunderbirds (American Hockey League), and defenseman Aleksi Heimosalmi has been assigned to Assat (Liiga). Defenseman Caleb Jones has also been placed on waivers.

I don’t like that Gunler is going to Norfolk.

We kept some of the younger guys over Rees.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Agreed. Rough league with talent well below the AHL. As a player, I would be PO’d if that happened too.

Bright side is that assign a bunch of AHL level talent to ECHL and you get a trophy.

Feel bad for Rees but perhaps with his off season surgery he wasn’t ready.

Btw: besides for FUS, Fensore and perhaps Halbgewachs, who is left?

Btw2: Jones had a bad night versus Preds so that was probably his last chance.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Agreed. Rough league with talent well below the AHL. As a player, I would be PO’d if that happened too.

Bright side is that assign a bunch of AHL level talent to ECHL and you get a trophy.

Feel bad for Rees but perhaps with his off season surgery he wasn’t ready.

Btw: besides for FUS, Fensore and perhaps Halbgewachs, who is left?

Btw2: Jones had a bad night versus Preds so that was probably his last chance.
Halbgewachs was cut 2 days ago. Jones looked alright but most guys not named Slavin would look bad as Cogs partner. He is our best 4LHD option.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

I hate it too, but I have to imagine they told him about it and he was cool with it. He probably could have chosen to go back to Europe, but he might want to remain here with an outside shot to get a call up at some point.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Both Jones and Coghlan clearing waivers actually makes them more useful as depth piece than they originally were. Both can get AHL ice time when needed, and depending on whether a righty or a lefty goes down, they can call up either of them at convenience. Hopefully our utterly stacked defense stays as healthy as they can so that there's no need for callups, but in an 82 game season, that's kind of unlikely.

As for Chatfield, my bet is that he re-signs for 2-3 years after the season is up. I think that even with him technically being a #7 this year, all parties must understand how uniquely great this particular defense is. If Dmitry Freaking Orlov is technically the #5 and an over 0.5 PPG on average TDA is the #6, it's difficult to make a case that you're the better choice over either of those two.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad