GDT: 2023 Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Wasn't Seguin 19 (or maybe he turned 20 during the season) when he won the cup with Boston in 2011?

Edit: He was born Jan 31st, 1992 and he won the cup in June 2011, so he was 18 to start the season and turned 19 before they won the cup.
I guess my source is incomplete then

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I guess my source is incomplete then
Yeah, I did a google search as well and saw what you saw. I just remembered Seguin and the Bruins, so I suspect the online source I saw was incomplete as well.

Edit: heck, I forgot about Andrew Ladd who was 19 to start the season and turned 20 during the season.

Robert Thomas was 19 as well for STL.

Edit 2: Jordan Staal was also 20 in Pitt when they won it in 09. Seems like a few guys that were 19 and turned 20 or 20 for the entire season. Leddy, Saad, Teravainen, etc...

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm torn. As much as I'd be hyped to see Svech return for the opening game, I'd also be pretty hyped if they gave him until after, say, the Western road trip and let FUS play in his place essentially. If Svech can't play right away, I'd much rather see like FUS, Suzuki, Pono, if healthy, than like Lemieux in the lineup right away.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
@Lempo or other knowing-stuff folks...

is there a limit on the number of games a euro kid can play before you have to keep them? i know there was a number of games or days after which Jarvis couldn't go back to juniors and couldn't be assigned to the ahl), so just wondering. i doubt it and assume you can loan someone to a euro team any time, and at his age without waivers?

while i'm ignorant-asking, i assume if he plays a single game his elc will not slide?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
@Lempo or other knowing-stuff folks...

is there a limit on the number of games a euro kid can play before you have to keep them? i know there was a number of games or days after which Jarvis couldn't go back to juniors and couldn't be assigned to the ahl), so just wondering. i doubt it and assume you can loan someone to a euro team any time, and at his age without waivers?

while i'm ignorant-asking, i assume if he plays a single game his elc will not slide?
I don't think I get the question as I am not aware of a game/days limit Jarvis might have had at some point.

We are talking about Unger-Sorum? The ELC slide is for 18-19 y.o. players who play less than 10 games in NHL. Guys who are older than that won't slide. Unger-Sorum at 18 will slide. I would guess he can be loaned back to Europe anytime, and am certain it would happen without waivers.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I don't think I get the question as I am not aware of a game/days limit Jarvis might have had at some point.

We are talking about Unger-Sorum? The ELC slide is for 18-19 y.o. players who play less than 10 games in NHL. Guys who are older than that won't slide. Unger-Sorum at 18 will slide. I would guess he can be loaned back to Europe anytime, and am certain it would happen without waivers.
i think i was misunderstanding the 10 game slide limit in Jarvis' case. i remember distinct discussion at the time about him approaching that limit, and it meaning he made the big squad. i guess he could have still been sent back to junior after 10 games, but with an elc year burnt and it being obvious he was past the point where juniors would help his development (and ineligible for the ahl) it was more of a might as well keep him situation. fortunately he never crashed that year / made rod sit him.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
i think i was misunderstanding the 10 game slide limit in Jarvis' case. i remember distinct discussion at the time about him approaching that limit, and it meaning he made the big squad. i guess he could have still been sent back to junior after 10 games, but with an elc year burnt and it being obvious he was past the point where juniors would help his development (and ineligible for the ahl) it was more of a might as well keep him situation. fortunately he never crashed that year / made rod sit him.
Ah, that rings a bell. Yes, we indeed were counting the games when he was getting close to ten, and then past it.

The thing is, the fans are much more anxious about the ELC slide than the organizations, who don't seem to consider it a biggy if they have to sign the RFA contract year earlier. They may even think that they can get the player with lesser AAV if they sign him earlier.

The organizations care more about whether or not a player gets past the 40 NHL games mark in a season which means an accrued season for the purposes of qualifying for UFA status. The best players who start in NHL at 18 and stay for good will have their 7 needed accrued seasons at 25. The organisations would like to keep those who are a tier below that as RFAs a little longer.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
The Athletic is releasing, slowly, their rankings of teams from 32 to 1.

We are in top 6 with Edmonton, Colorado, Dallas, Rangers, and Toronto.

The biggest surprises:

Rangers and their defensive structure, questions with Lavy coming in, and old wheeler being the only meaningful addition.

Seattle at 20

Florida and Boston are 10 & 9, respectively. Key injuries and loss of good players.

Calgary and Winnipeg at 13 & 14. Seattle and LA should be ranked over them.
It's down to us and Edmonton for the top 2 spots.

6. Colorado
5. Toronto
4. NYR
3. Dallas

I can't seem to figure out how the Rags are so high; I think they should be at most #8 behind Vegas and NJ.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
It's down to us and Edmonton for the top 2 spots.

6. Colorado
5. Toronto
4. NYR
3. Dallas

I can't seem to figure out how the Rags are so high; I think they should be at most #8 behind Vegas and NJ.
Yea rags were among my curious ratings. I understand Edmonton has world level offensive players but their goalie situation is among the bottom of the league. Im still not sold on their defense either. The offense is very sexy though

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
They have 1 elite defensemen whom they rely on way too much. 3rd best?

I’m not the person who did the analytics, just the messenger. It takes the whole group into account. Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Gustafsson, Schneider. It’s a good group. Don’t compare it to ours in your head, we will be #1 by a mile despite not having the Fox-level player. I’m trying to think of the better groups that would push them farther down the list…

Out of curiosity, who would you put in front of them? We are presumably #1, and Colorado is #2. Not just a matter of “on a good day I like xyz team better”, anyone that’s so glaring a miss that actually deserves a comment about it?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’m not the person who did the analytics, just the messenger. It takes the whole group into account. Fox, Miller, Trouba, Lindgren, Gustafsson, Schneider. It’s a good group. Don’t compare it to ours in your head, we will be #1 by a mile despite not having the Fox-level player. I’m trying to think of the better groups that would push them farther down the list…

Out of curiosity, who would you put in front of them? We are presumably #1, and Colorado is #2. Not just a matter of “on a good day I like xyz team better”, anyone that’s so glaring a miss that actually deserves a comment about it?

Not my ranking, but the Athletic puts both Boston's and Vegas's defensive cores ahead of the Rangers.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Well, it is.
it really isnt. The only age eligibility rule is they turn 18 by September 15th to be eligible.

now if you are referring to the NHL-SHA transfer agreement, it says that the team and SHL team shall consult on the under 24 years of age player developing in the AHL versus the SHL as the NHL player owns the rights to the player. SHL team can waive the agreement.

Also, I believe that only applies to players not under NHL contract. Once players are contracted by the NHL team, they can loan them back to the their SHL team but, it isnt required.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017

Ranking goes:

Tier 1
1. Carolina
2. Colorado
3. Vegas
4. Boston

Tier 2
5. Calgary
6. NYR

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Not my ranking, but the Athletic puts both Boston's and Vegas's defensive cores ahead of the Rangers.

IMG_2621.jpeg

Ranking goes:

Tier 1
1. Carolina
2. Colorado
3. Vegas
4. Boston

Tier 2
5. Calgary
5. NYR

Different author than the piece in question…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad