GDT: 2023 Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I just saw the exhibition schedule. I like the fact that we play 3 road games, but 2 of them are on the same day. So really Rod is doing whatever he can to limit travel and reduce preseason games as much as possible.

Realistically, the preseason is for wimps. Fans toot their horn about their recent 1st rounder scoring in a preseason game, but it means nothing. Rod doesn't care about it, and that spreads to the players. I'm sure what he does care about is seeing fitness and hustle in practices. He wants to see which new players fit the system, and also give them tips for making the team in the future.
Remember when Gauthier was dominating preseason and everyone here overreacted and wanted him to make the team over Necas who was struggling a bit?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Considering how much better Necas is and how obvious it has been outside of a few preseason games, I'd consider 50% to be high enough for hyperbolic use of the phrase "everyone" to be appropriate -- it should've been 0, frankly.
You must be a politician to try and justify saying “everyone” for something that was 50%. :sarcasm:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Orlov-TDA?

Yeesh, not a big fan of that on first impression

Why?

It’s not the best use of cap space, but that’s a fantastic 3rd pair, assuming they do end up keeping both Skjei and Pesce, which I think is highly unlikely. A trade of one of them seems inevitable.

Orlov worked pretty well with John Carlson in DC. Why wouldn’t he also mesh with DeAngelo?

I’ll add - I think the plan all along was to improve their offense and PP from the back-end, hence the interest in both Karlsson and DeAngelo. They struck out with Tarasenko and perhaps Bertuzzi, but to me, they felt the bigger need was a another puck-mover. They got 2, in Orlov and DeAngelo. They likely think their current crop of forwards is “good enough.”

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Orlov-TDA?

Yeesh, not a big fan of that on first impression
Ehh I'd prefer Chat over TDA but I get not wanting to break up either of the top 2 pairs. Slavin and Burns were great together and Skjei and Pesce have both elevated each others' play the past couple years in my view. If we don't trade any D I think the minutes will be very spread out so I wouldn't consider it as "Orlov on the 3rd pair." All the guys will be kept very fresh while still getting solid playing time.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Those are your starting lines barring injury or complete drop off in performance. Chatfield and TDA swapping out for each other. Maybe a little blender during preseason or early game struggles but he’ll go back to them. Could see TT getting bumped for Fast if the third line is neither achieving its grinding perfection nor being a better scoring line.

Orlov seems like a trooper and unlikely to make a scene about it but I’m sure he didn’t think he’d get paid what he got to be on the third pair keeping an eye out for TDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad