GDT: 2023 Training Camp Thread.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Ehh I'd prefer Chat over TDA but I get not wanting to break up either of the top 2 pairs. Slavin and Burns were great together and Skjei and Pesce have both elevated each others' play the past couple years in my view. If we don't trade any D I think the minutes will be very spread out so I wouldn't consider it as "Orlov on the 3rd pair." All the guys will be kept very fresh while still getting solid playing time.
I don't necessarily see it as Orlov on the 3rd line, but I don't know if I trust Orlov to cover the defensive warts that TDA has to his game. Doesn't seem like the best situation to be putting our prized FA signing in going into his first contract year here.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Those are your starting lines barring injury or complete drop off in performance. Chatfield and TDA swapping out for each other. Maybe a little blender during preseason or early game struggles but he’ll go back to them. Could see TT getting bumped for Fast if the third line is neither achieving its grinding perfection nor being a better scoring line.

Orlov seems like a trooper and unlikely to make a scene about it but I’m sure he didn’t think he’d get paid what he got to be on the third pair keeping an eye out for TDA.
I wouldn't be surprised if the opening lineup included seven defensemen and two of the guys listed on the fourth line are in the pressbox. Fast and Drury/Noesen can easily cycle with Jordan's line and allow TDA and Chatfield to swap in and out for each other, with one getting PP and the other getting PK time as well.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
After Gostisbehere was acquired, the EV minutes were roughly distributed 19-19-14. It’s not as if the coaches have to cut the Top 4’s minutes significantly for something resembling evenness. A few shifts EV per pair redistributed and everyone is in a range of 18-22 overall, when factoring in expected deployment (DeAngelo on the PP, Orlov on the PK).

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I'm curious what the top PP unit will look like. Aho, Svech and Necas are locks. Then probably Burns and Bunting or perhaps ADA as second D? But probably not, they'll want to keep one of Burns and ADA for the second PP unit.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wasn’t one of the complaints in years past that Rod was playing guys too much and burning them out come playoffs? I never completely subscribed to that notion, but with Slavin, Pesce and Skjei approaching 30, and Orlov and Burns being over 30; the ability to manage workload/injuries should help as the season progresses, no?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'm curious what the top PP unit will look like. Aho, Svech and Necas are locks. Then probably Burns and Bunting or perhaps ADA as second D? But probably not, they'll want to keep one of Burns and ADA for the second PP unit.

I don't think Svech and Necas are locks for the first unit. One of them surely, but Rod has had one or the other on the 2nd unit often, depending on who he likes in front of the net. Aho is the only "lock" in that trio in my opinion.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Just saying, you don't want to come into camp having mailed it in during offseason training and the first thing you see is your coach looking that jacked, knowing he didn't need roids to get there

Teuvo says:

Not sure why Walt is saying “to laugh”. I’ll be very surprised, barring a trade” if the lines aren’t very close to this opening night.

Marines: Look at the man on your left. Now look at the man on the right. Odds are one of you will tear an Achilles and the other an ACL. The one that remains....you will drag Paul Stastny and Derek Stepan up and down the ice 20 minutes a night in the playoffs as your reward. If you're a good boy you will get some MacNCheese.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Not sure why Walt is saying “to laugh”. I’ll be very surprised, barring a trade” if the lines aren’t very close to this opening night.
While I don't disagree with you, Rod is also a coach who changes his lines up A TON. The only set line he's really settled on lately had been Nino-Staal-Fast with Marty taking Nino's spot once Nino left. Every other line changes pretty damn consistently. So I'm not sure it really matters what opening night lineup is or what camp lineup is. It's all going to change.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Those are your starting lines barring injury or complete drop off in performance. Chatfield and TDA swapping out for each other. Maybe a little blender during preseason or early game struggles but he’ll go back to them. Could see TT getting bumped for Fast if the third line is neither achieving its grinding perfection nor being a better scoring line.

Orlov seems like a trooper and unlikely to make a scene about it but I’m sure he didn’t think he’d get paid what he got to be on the third pair keeping an eye out for TDA.

Or maybe against 3rd and 4th lines they turn the offense up to 100!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I would rather play our 1st players together and going with

Svech-Aho-Necas
Bunting-KK-Jarvis.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Given the nationality of a few of our players and prospects, this could quickly become a heck of a distraction for the team

Reactions: cptjeff

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Given the nationality of a few of our players and prospects, this could quickly become a heck of a distraction for the team

Is he implying Ovi is the leader of the propaganda camp? Honestly I would be surprised if Svech or Pyotr fell into the propaganda camp, maybe Orlov, but who knows for sure. I don't think it'll become a significant distraction. The reality is much more nuanced than Zadorov's PoV. Just look at the Panarin situation a few years ago. Some of these guys probably don't give a crap one way or another or are against the war in general but have to look out for their and their family's best interests. It's not an easy situation for any of them to come out against the war with family in Russia still. Also it's a popular take that all war is bad, but all war is inherently rooted in politics and many just stay out of politics all together. Which I think is fair.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Is he implying Ovi is the leader of the propaganda camp? Honestly I would be surprised if Svech or Pyotr fell into the propaganda camp, maybe Orlov, but who knows for sure. I don't think it'll become a significant distraction. The reality is much more nuanced than Zadorov's PoV. Just look at the Panarin situation a few years ago. Some of these guys probably don't give a crap one way or another or are against the war in general but have to look out for their and their family's best interests. It's not an easy situation for any of them to come out against the war with family in Russia still. Also it's a popular take that all war is bad, but all war is inherently rooted in politics and many just stay out of politics all together. Which I think is fair.
Agreed. If God forbid the USA was in a situation like that and I was playing a sport overseas, I'd probably just shut my mouth and focus on my career. I guess if I had no intention of returning to my home country I might be willing to speak my true opinion out. Otherwise, even if I'm just summer training in the home country from now on, I'd shut my mouth.

Moreover, it's one thing to bitch about politics in the free press of the USA, and it's another thing entirely to do so about Russia.

It's a zero controversy issue in my book. There's no obligation for an athlete to say anything about it.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Additionally, any time Zadorov puts himself in the camp of "the sane one" you've gotta question it just a bit...dude is a master cheap-shot artist who seems like he's aiming to injure folks.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Is Orlov always this heavy at 214 pounds, at 5’11? He’s either an absolute muscular tank or he came into camp overweight. He’s the third heaviest player on the team behind 6’6 Burns & 6’4 Staal.
Orlov is a strong man. The video posted a couple weeks back by the Canes showing him working out told me he’s not a guy to mess with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad