2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I guess their big question is what Crosby wants to do in the summer of 2025 (when he goes UFA) when he turns 38.
I’m willing to bet Crosby stays a penguin his whole career even if they suck. He seems very old school to me.

But who knows. I thought Kane was gonna to be a Hawk lifer too so I guess things change.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
IMO the best way to weaponize cap space is to use it to apply pressure on other teams that we may offersheet a star RFA and coerce them into a trade. That's better than waiting around for opportunities to arise.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We've heard this refrain for the last 4 years and Columbus hasn't done anything significant to that effect. Teams found out how to manipulate LTIR to their advantage and also they can dump "bad" contracts to Arizona with picks to get them to the cap floor.

Outside of retaining salary on Foligno & Savard, has Jarmo ever "weaponized" cap space? Maybe taking on J. Quick? If anything, we got caught by the cap when we had to move out Bjorkstrand after the Gaudreau signing and Laine extension.
Oh COME THE f*** ON. Outside of the time when he basically started one of the biggest deadline cap management trends in the NHL? That's like saying "Outside of 2012 and 2014, have the Kings ever won anything?" Or "Outside of 2016 through 2020, have any of Kekalainen's teams made the playoffs over the last eight years?" It's really f***ing easy to make someone look terrible if you arbitrarily exclude everything they did good. That's not an argument, that's shitty spin doctoring.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Oh COME THE f*** ON. Outside of the time when he basically started one of the biggest deadline cap management trends in the NHL? That's like saying "Outside of 2012 and 2014, have the Kings ever won anything?" Or "Outside of 2016 through 2020, have any of Kekalainen's teams made the playoffs over the last eight years?" It's really f***ing easy to make someone look terrible if you arbitrarily exclude everything they did good. That's not an argument, that's shitty spin doctoring.
I think you’re right, but I don’t consider retaining your own contracts (especially contracts you move at TDL that are expiring) to be “weaponizing cap space”, as that term’s often used. To me, that term means taking on bad cap terms/LTIRs to get picks (which we’ve seen Carolina and Arizona do in the past; maybe CBJ has but I don’t recall) and/or being able to trade for a current player for lesser trade value than he should’ve been traded for because you have cap space and the team trading him to you does not (and other teams that might be interested in acquiring him don’t either).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

"strated the trend" is quite funny.

Prior to those CBJ trades, you had...
-Detroit retain 50% on Patrik Nemeth
-NJ retain 50% on Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac

Salary retention isn't new. If you're talking about a 3rd team eating more of the cap hit, then I guess Chicago/Toronto/Vegas "started" it in the Lehner deal, when Toronto ate 44% of Lehner's cap hit for a 5th round pick from Vegas. Or maybe it was "started" in the Ian Cole/Derrick Brassard/Ryan Reaves trade.

"Started" lol

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Yeah but what have you done for me lately?

To rant for a minute, I don't think anybody on this board disagrees that the team needs to improve. If anything, the issue with Jarmo is a case of mismanaged expectations by calling it a retool. They performed well enough last year in Larsen's first year to assume there could be an improvement on the 37 wins from last year after adding Gaudreau. Obviously, the season has not gone that way due to a piss poor defensive system in the early season, and was furthered by injuries and bad goaltending. Also obviously, the team is not as well constructed as it was during most of Torts' tenure, because we lost some guys and traded some away for futures.

Meanwhile, the "futures" have been looking great. KJ and Marchenko are having a couple of the best rookie years for CBJ rookies ever, on a terrible team. Jiricek is having one of the best 18/19 year old seasons of all time for a D-man in the AHL. Even Chinny looked massively improved over last season before he got hurt; Dumais is having a historical season in the Q. I could go on but I won't. Sillinger is the only young guy that hasn't improved since last year. He needs to be sent down. To add to all of that, we're most likely going to have a top 5 pick in an absolutely loaded top 5, with a possibility of taking the best prospect since McDavid/Matthews, and another 1st round pick that we can use to improve the defense now.

There's obviously still roster holes in important areas and probably a coaching hole. We most likely won't be in the hunt for the playoffs next year either. However, we have the assets and the time to improve those holes in the offseason. To say this rebuild has not gone well IMO is simply a sour taste from how bad the team has looked the last couple of seasons, and a couple of recent bad moves (Bjork, Gudbranson), when in reality we knew we were likely rebuilding anyway.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I love Voracek and it would be nice to have him potentially retire here. But if he's not playing, not having him on the books would make life easier for Jarmo as he wouldn't have to jump through hoops to make the roster compliant going through LTIR BS.
here's the thing: they can (fairly easily) fit him under the salary cap this summer, then put him on LTIR on opening night. them moving him now could mean they have some really big plans this summer.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
"strated the trend" is quite funny.

Prior to those CBJ trades, you had...
-Detroit retain 50% on Patrik Nemeth
-NJ retain 50% on Kyle Palmieri and Travis Zajac

Salary retention isn't new. If you're talking about a 3rd team eating more of the cap hit, then I guess Chicago/Toronto/Vegas "started" it in the Lehner deal, when Toronto ate 44% of Lehner's cap hit for a 5th round pick from Vegas. Or maybe it was "started" in the Ian Cole/Derrick Brassard/Ryan Reaves trade.

"Started" lol
He started the double retention trend. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Yesterday Rimer predicted Jarmo to pull out another rabbit out of his hat, expecting Jackets to trade for "a roster player or two, prospects or futures". That was prior to Chychrun trade though so I wonder who it could be?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Yesterday Rimer predicted Jarmo to pull out another rabbit out of his hat, expecting Jackets to trade for "a roster player or two, prospects or futures". That was prior to Chychrun trade though so I wonder who it could be?
gonna be extra funny when none of this happens and no one gives rimer shit for it because we all just understand that the man is in his bag 24/7

Reactions: LJ7 and CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad