Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I can't decide if I want Pacioretty to make the team or not. I like cheap vet players. Comeback and redemption stories are great. But I just don't know if he's better for the team than, say, Robertson or Grebenkin.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I can't decide if I want Pacioretty to make the team or not. I like cheap vet players. Comeback and redemption stories are great. But I just don't know if he's better for the team than, say, Robertson or Grebenkin.
Could he be better than Jarnkrok or Kampf, it either or both could be moved? Both could be replaced from within.

Reactions: banks

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don't know if you have a choice. I know you have your preference. I just think that there's already a deal in place for #67.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Could he be better than Jarnkrok or Kampf, it either or both could be moved? Both could be replaced from within.

Ya, that a legit point. And I'm not really a fan of either Kampf or Jarnkrok, they're pretty underwhelming. But I just haven't gotten into Patio-ready's storyline yet.

I guess it doesn't matter much, since everything says his contract is just a matter of time. So he'll be on the team almost no matter what, from the looks of it.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Ya, that a legit point. And I'm not really a fan of either Kampf or Jarnkrok, they're pretty underwhelming. But I just haven't gotten into Patio-ready's storyline yet.

I guess it doesn't matter much, since everything says his contract is just a matter of time. So he'll be on the team almost no matter what, from the looks of it.
The only question is what moves do the Leafs do to make this happen? They must have some options in mind.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would easily replace Jarnkrok with Pacioretty. I wouldn’t even have to think twice about that.

I would keep Kampf however, we need his faceoff and killing penalties ability. You revisit moving him next season when we have a better idea on what we have in Minten and even Quillan.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He's better at scoring, but they're not competing for scoring roles. Who are the internal replacements who can lead an NHL PK unit?
I wouldn't trade both Kampf/Jarnkrok for the reasons you mentioned, but one can go.

Unit 1:
Kampf - Marner
McCabe - Tanev

Unit 2:
Lorentz*/Dewar - Holmberg/McMann/Knies
Benoit - Hakanpaa/Liljegren

There's a ton of depth options available to flesh out a #2PK unit (with some learning on the job). Both are offensive blackholes in the playoffs, so if we're dressing this type of player for PK utility and 5on5 net zero results, it can be achieved with a 900k-1.2m player, not 2-2.4m.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He will be a solid depth scoring option when he is healthy. There are just so many question marks around his health. Hard to imagine he plays 40+ games this season

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Pacioretty looked healthy last night and his instinct and touches around the net looked like an impact player. Versus a guy like Jarnkrok who can do a bit of this and that and provide versatility and smarts but won’t have that nose for offense.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He will be a solid depth scoring option when he is healthy. There are just so many question marks around his health. Hard to imagine he plays 40+ games this season
He played 47 games last season after returning from his injury.

I don’t expect Pacioretty to play a full 82 game season but I wouldn’t be surprised if he played around 65 games. He finally looks healthy.

Pacioretty looked healthy last night and his instinct and touches around the net looked like an impact player. Versus a guy like Jarnkrok who can do a bit of this and that and provide versatility and smarts but won’t have that nose for offense.
I’d be looking at Pittsburgh to see if we can grab a 3rd for Jarnkrok from Dubbie.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don’t expect Pacioretty to play a full 82 game season but I wouldn’t be surprised if he played around 65 games. He finally looks healthy.
the added benefit for him is the leafs medical staff. We are widely considered the best of the best, hopefully they can keep him going for the entire year.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He's better at scoring, but they're not competing for scoring roles. Who are the internal replacements who can lead an NHL PK unit?

Genuine question, but how hard is it to be a decent penalty killer? If you're a winger, isn't it just a matter of being able to skate well and put it an effort? What other unique qualities separate a good penalty killing wing from a bad penalty killing wing? You're telling me a guy like Robertson can't be a solid PK guy once he gets enough reps?

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think Kampf's defensive prowess at 5-on-5 is overstated.

Two years ago he centred a lined that regularly cleared the Leafs' d-zone like clockwork. I really can't remember off the top of my head who were his line mates, but just that it was impressive how they would take the defensive-zone faceoffs and clear the zone with ease. That lead to good line changes and a better use of the top two lines.

Last season I saw Kampf's line getting trapped in their own zone for extended periods of time. If they were able to get a whistle, Matthews' line would often be called on to bail them out. It was not a good look.

As to the PK, I think he was fine but nothing special.

Kampf did well to sign his contract when he did. Timing is everything.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Objectively... one of the Leafs big weaknesses come playoff time has not only been the big 3/4 drying up offensively, but the rest of the lineup failing to come through with a goal. You think back to what Nick Paul did to us a couple of years ago, or what Corey Perry seems to have done multiple times in absolutely backbreaking goals.

The Leafs might view Pacioretty as somebody that they can put on a 3rd line, and come through on a nothing play to change the pace of the game.

As for what the Leafs do to fit him in -- I'm not neccessarily sure they have to do anything assuming he's signing league minimum without bonuses. Ryan Reaves would presumably clear waivers. Conor Dewar and Jani Hakanpaa presumably starting on LTIR.

That being said, I'd believe that the primary option for making space for him would be Nick Robertson, given that they kind of occupy a similar role as a depth scorer, along with Easton Cowan.

Barring that, Calle Jarnkrok would seemingly be the right guy, as Holmberg does a lot of things similar to him.

Reactions: Ciao

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I think Kampf's defensive prowess at 5-on-5 is overstated.

Two years ago he centred a lined that regularly cleared the Leafs' d-zone like clockwork. I really can't remember off the top of my head who were his line mates, but just that it was impressive how they would take the defensive-zone faceoffs and clear the zone with ease. That lead to good line changes and a better use of the top two lines.

Last season I saw Kampf's line getting trapped in their own zone for extended periods of time. If they were able to get a whistle, Matthews' line would often be called on to bail them out. It was not a good look.

As to the PK, I think he was fine but nothing special.

Kampf did well to sign his contract when he did. Timing is everything.
Engvall - Kampf - Mikheyev line probably. Those three were good together, very underrated.

the added benefit for him is the leafs medical staff. We are widely considered the best of the best, hopefully they can keep him going for the entire year.
That on top of being not being so heavily relied upon considering we have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Knies, etc. You can lessen his workload. Similar to what we did with Bogosian a few years back.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad