2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I actually started to take a look at that as a possibility but the stories I'm hearing from Flyers fans about him having a generally pouty nature (in particular stories about how he absolutely refuses to attempt to play RD, even alongside a LHD rookie) have me thinking "no thanks, as usual Torts is on to something."

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
With Pens clearing cap, I wonder if they would actually make sense for Quick. Afaik they've been sort of looking for some goaltending backup/better play during the season (not sure about recently). Quick with his playoff pedigree might make sense to have as an option if their goalies have trouble in the playoffs.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Here is my worry - defense was an issue last season and nobody was added to help. We will be saying the same thing this time next year. If Jarmo does sign anyone he will portray as the right person who is very mediocre, overpaid and past their prime.

There are going to be cap issues again next year. This summer will be interesting. I want to find the next Saad type trade - good young guy that a team can’t afford anymore. I look at Buffalo. How much are they going to spend on left D? I look at a team like LA. They have a ton of defensive guys. I think there will be trades out there that will give us a player we can have under team control longer than Chychrun.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
With Pens clearing cap, I wonder if they would actually make sense for Quick. Afaik they've been sort of looking for some goaltending backup/better play during the season (not sure about recently). Quick with his playoff pedigree might make sense to have as an option if their goalies have trouble in the playoffs.
Prob clearing for JT Miller

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I'd say he absolutely is that good. But it's a Ryan Murray sort of good. Fantastawonderful when you have him, but that just makes his time lost to injury all the more painful.
Defer to you on the player, haven’t seen enough of him. Maybe caught him w/ an off night…we know how that happens when you play for a poorly constructed team!
I’d take a healthy Ryan Murray all day, everyday. Everybody is at risk for injury, but is Chychrun overly prone to same? Rhetorical question, that’s the risk of taking him…that and does he want to be here?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Everybody is at risk for injury, but is Chychrun overly prone to same?

“It would seem that there is now real concern about Chychrun's injury history, including a recent wrist injury that has kept him out of action since training camp. It's not like those concerns are illegitimate either, Chychrun's long injury history includes surgery on both knees, shoulder surgery, ankle surgery and a pair of wrist surgeries now as well.”

And he is only 24.

Reactions: MAHJ71

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
We moved out who we needed to move out and we scooped up some decent assets along the way. I think Jarmo maybe could have played the Gavrikov situation a little bit better but can't be upset about adding a 1st + 3rd + 5th for our soon to be UFAs. Not expecting any other moves, but anything else like flipping Quick or fielding calls on Roslovic would be welcome.

Overall, I'd have to say I'm pleased with how this deadline has played out thus far. Now to focus on Bedard :popcorn:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Offensive defensemen don’t seem to be in demand right now. Barrie was moved by Edmonton. Klingberg and Shattenkirk are still available.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Chychrun is often injured. So I think Arizona's request was something along the lines of a Turkish bazaar. First the inflated price, then his actual value.

As for Provorov, he's a smart, aggressive and strong defenseman with good shot blocking. He's also skilled and has a very good first pass. Besides, if you have an "A" on a team where Torts is the coach, you must have them of a certain quality. And what is important, he's health.

Last edited by a moderator:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Here is my worry - defense was an issue last season and nobody was added to help. We will be saying the same thing this time next year. If Jarmo does sign anyone he will portray as the right person who is very mediocre, overpaid and past their prime.

They tried last season.
McDonagh(wouldn’t waive) and Chychrun.

They also drafted Jiricek& Mateychuk.
By all accounts Jiricek should be in the NHL and based on previous comps he should be top4 quality.
(Heiskanen/McAvoy/Seider)

So they did try and they did do something about it.

This summer Jarmo can pretty easily go ”all in” for that Dman without selling the future.

LA 1st+ Ceulemans is such an easy and good starting point in a trade.
& Boston/Edmonton/Toronto/Ottawa/Tampa have all taken themselves out of the competition to add on defense

Last edited:

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
They tried last season.
McDonagh(wouldn’t waive) and Chychrun.

They also drafted Jiricek& Mateychuk.
By all accounts Jiricek should be in the NHL and based on previous comps he should be top4 quality.
(Heiskanen/McAvoy/Seider)

So they did try and they did do something about it.

This summer Jarmo can pretty easily go ”all in” for that Dman without selling the future.

LA 1st+ Ceulemans is such an easy and good starting point in a trade.
& Boston/Edmonton/Toronto/Ottawa/Tampa have all taken themselves out of the competition to add on defense
That is my very point - both of those assets did not want to come here. Unless its a player on an RFA (which would defeat the purpose of veteran leadership). Those type of assets will have NTC in their deals and won”t waive them to come to Columbus

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That is my very point - both of those assets did not want to come here. Unless its a player on an RFA (which would defeat the purpose of veteran leadership). Those type of assets will have NTC in their deals and won”t waive them to come to Columbus

The younger players/targets less likely have them.

& Columbus has the best chance to add 1 by a fair margin.
If they just want to add& by all the rumours dating back to last years draft they want to add.

The cap is still going to create a ton of problems for teams and Columbus needs to take advantage of that

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The cap is still going to create a ton of problems for teams and Columbus needs to take advantage of that
100% agree with this. We will have some room and most teams won't see us as a threat (oh let's trade this good player to Columbus, not much of a chance it will haunt us).
I just don't think you plug a guy like Jiricek into the top 4 and assume he's good. I think you put him into bottom pair (with a solid partner) and let him force his way into top 4. Dmen take time and I'd rather he be developed rather than thrown into the mix (I'm fine with him in NHL but try to temper it a bit).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
100% agree with this. We will have some room and most teams won't see us as a threat (oh let's trade this good player to Columbus, not much of a chance it will haunt us).
I just don't think you plug a guy like Jiricek into the top 4 and assume he's good. I think you put him into bottom pair (with a solid partner) and let him force his way into top 4. Dmen take time and I'd rather he be developed rather than thrown into the mix (I'm fine with him in NHL but try to temper it a bit).

The expectation really should be that Jiricek is top4 ready on game 1 if he’s as good as all hope he is.

Heiskanen& McAvoy basically entered the league straight up as top pair level Dmen and Jiricek will also have years of pro experience under his belt prior to his rookie season.
Makar+ Seider were lights out as well straight from the gate.
So top4 is basically being modest with expectation in relation to other top Dprospects from recent years.

& even because of that it’s important they are able to add a quality ”veteran” to pair up with Jiricek.

Werenski- x
Added player- Jiricek
Bean/x- Gubranson

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The younger players/targets less likely have them.

& Columbus has the best chance to add 1 by a fair margin.
If they just want to add& by all the rumours dating back to last years draft they want to add.

Not trying to be hyperbolic but let’s weaponize our cap space (sound familiar). Another crowd favorite is the wins now will springboard us into next season .

I don’t have faith in this front office.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not trying to be hyperbolic but let’s weaponize our cap space (sound familiar). Another crowd favorite is the wins now will springboard us into next season .

I don’t have faith in this front office.
Well we didnt weaponize it in the sense of taking dumps for meh picks or we were saved from grabbing an aging veteran like McDonagh but that cap space being available ended with Gaudreau. Seems like it worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad