2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well onto the next one

There’s been some weird trades so let’s see if Jarmo can find Hronek type surprise deal.

Quality top4 is a must land the next 6 months

And is replaced with an unprotected 1st next year if that protection kicks in.

I wouldn't have gone for that.

Wasn’t that top10?

Reactions: majormajor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Happy for Ott and their fans. Just glad it wasn’t the CBJ.

It’s not our time yet. Save the big acquisitions for the off-season. There will be other quality players available.

Reactions: I3LI3 and DJA

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland

Interestingly LA makes a future goalie trade, and personally this sounds like a steal. Portillo has bene hyped quite a bit but was #3 in Buffalo call-ups after UPL and Levi I guess. Pretty cheap if you ask me if it gives the Kings their goaltender of the future.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
that’s it?

didn't realize that ottawa's pick is currently 11th overall – cbj could definitely cobble together a better package but i don't think any of the individual pieces are as good as that. but yeah, would've been worth it at that price.

It looks to be similar value to Mateychuk + late 1st that we bandied about earlier.

I would have made that deal in the summer but not now. There's some risk that the market will dry up by the summer but it makes more sense to try our luck then than now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well onto the next one

There’s been some weird trades so let’s see if Jarmo can find Hronek type surprise deal.

Quality top4 is a must land the next 6 months

Wasn’t that top10?
Nope. Top-10 protection on the 2024 1st is only if they get that pick via the 2nd.

The possible outcomes are:
  • Ottawa reaches the ECF this year, and their pick next year is not top 10: Arizona gets Ottawa's 2023 1st (towards the bottom of the round) and their 2024 1st.
  • Ottawa reaches the ECF this year and collapses next year, getting a top-10 pick: Arizona gets Ottawa's bottom-of-the-round 2023 1st and their 2025 1st (no matter where it is).
  • Ottawa does not make the ECF this year, but finish outside of the top-5: Arizona gets Ottawa's 2023 1st and the Caps' 2024 2nd.
  • Ottawa moves up in the draft lottery to the top-5 this year: Arizona gets Ottawa's 2024 1st (no matter where it is) and the Caps' 2024 2nd.
In all of the above cases Arizona also gets a 2026 2nd round pick.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It looks to be similar value to Mateychuk + late 1st that we bandied about earlier.

I would have made that deal in the summer but not now. There's some risk that the market will dry up by the summer but it makes more sense to try our luck then than now.

I’d guess LA 1st + Ceulemans+3rd would have gotten it done.

& if there’s a top tier Dman becoming available nobody will basically have more assets to land that than Columbus.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We obviously could have matched that price, but I guess Chychrun didn’t want to have anything to do with Columbus

Plus the guy never played 70 full games in a season

Reactions: DJA and Fro

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I doubt it. We weren't offering anything like that semi-protected 1st.

Ottawa is in a legit race for WC.
With Chychrun addition they should stay aboce 10+.

Ari was asking non stop about prospects and in the end couldn’t land any.
They clearly wanted more proven assets but overpmayed their hand.

Which is why I would have believed they would have liked a recent 1st round pick

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What legit(as in we know available) Dmen other than Provorov are there available?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So you’ll complain about Jarmo when the team is bad, but also complain about Jarmo when he wants to trade some hypotheticals for a known, good player?

Chychrun might not be the right guy, but I’m a bit confused as to what it is some of you want.

I think we don’t want to add anyone now that might help win meaningless games for the next six weeks. Adding someone in the summer is another story. But any person we add should have more than 2 years of team control.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I think we don’t want to add anyone now that might help win meaningless games for the next six weeks. Adding someone in the summer is another story. But any person we add should have more than 2 years of team control.
Here is my worry - defense was an issue last season and nobody was added to help. We will be saying the same thing this time next year. If Jarmo does sign anyone he will portray as the right person who is very mediocre, overpaid and past their prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad