2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm certain the CAP thing can be fixed via LTIR?

I also don't think Chychrun is the solution to being competitive (even with Bedard). Again f he wants to come here, you just have to realize a 2 year window and I'm not sure if that time frame works?

In my mind:
CBJ Goaltenders - Elvis is playing better but I think based on 2022-23 results you have to rate them as bottom 25% in the NHL? So on 1-5 scale (5 great, 1 is bad) likely 1.5-2? Again you may have some potential, but if you have an impartial POV (point of view) I don't think anyone is pumped about what we have there.
Blue Line - Adding back Zach and adding Chychrun - still be botton half of the leage but closer to league average (so averall just slightly below average). Same scale 2.25-2.5.
Forwards - Adding Bedard to Johnny Hockey, Laine and Jenner likely puts you at average, likely slightly above. 2.75 on scale. Could be higher if the defense improved as a group.
Coaching - We're either breaking in a new staff, or keeping the likable guy who just isn't very good. So 1.5.

I don't know how with questionable goaltending and bad coaching gets different results? Overall average on skaters.
Larsen is still an inexperienced coach, this is the first time he has dealt with so many injuries. I would give him a chance.
Elvis... nothing to comment here. Either a miracle will happen and Elvis will start playing normally, or we have to rely on Tarasov, more specifically, being healthy.
I'll be counting on us getting Chychrun. Werenski, Jiricek, Chychrun, Boqvist would be a very good foursome, certainly not just league average. But, as I've written before, I'd prefer a really tough, mobile defenseman to Boqvist.
The forwards need to grow up. We can't trade youngsters just because we want a PO. This was one of our mistakes. Look at the age average of the players we went to PO with.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
What do you mean?

Johnson in 2021
Jiricek in 2022
Top5 pick in 2023 (best top of the draft since 2015).

+
Mateychuk
Svozil
Dumais
Chinakhov
Marchenko
Tarasov

What exactly have they done so terrible wrong?

+
Added Gaudreau from the market.

All that even if you take out Ceulemans+ LA 1st

This 2023 draft should be the last one they’ll be interested in a very long time.
The new drafted core should be set and the goal after that should be to start getting wins on the ice and be a contender in 2-3 years time

Everyone knows and agrees they need to add quality veterans into the lineup and not allow this to turn into Buffalo/Detroit type rebuilds

gonna bring back the little chart i posted here last week (with some slight updates) to visualize where the jackets are with the rebuild and how chychrun + bedard/fantilli would help.

A - EstablishedB - Not EstablishedC - Years Away
1 - StarsGaudreau
Werenski
Chychrun
Laine
Bedard/Fantilli
Johnson
Jiricek
Mateychuk
2 - SupportingJennerMarchenko
Sillinger
Boqvist
Svozil
Ceulemans
Dumais
Del Bel Belluz
3 - VolatileRoslovic
Elvis
Blankenburg
Chinakhov
Texier
Peeke
Tarasov
Bean
Voronkov
Knazko
Dolzhenkov
4 - Depth/fillerKuraly
Gudbranson
Robinson
Danforth
Olivier
Bemstrom
Bayreuther
Foudy
Berni
Bjork
Meyer
TFW
Malatesta
Richard

they've nailed the asset acquisition phase. the next step is harder – turning excess talent into productivity.

progress isn't linear and throwing all your youngsters into the NHL at the same time creates a blind-leading-the-blind situation. to ensure talent maturation they should focus on core young guys + surround them with productive veterans who can shoulder some of the load; that's what they're lacking now (2A tier players).

if they can get a 1A (chychrun) for a late first + a 2C asset (i.e. ceulemans) that goes a LONG way toward making the roster better and creating a better developmental situation for the 2B/3B types.

then they could pursue a 2A type forward (ideally a center) that would imo make them a borderline playoff team, and with some maturation for the young guys they could be really good in two years.

imagine how many heads will explode including mine when friedman tweets “hearing CLB/AZ have agreed on a trade involving Chychrun, LA 1st, Dumais

*sarcasm, I HOPE*
i love dumais but would be 100% fine with this, personally.

turning a third round pick into the equivalent of a first rounder in less than a year + flipping that with an asset gained for a pending UFA to bring in a legit top-pair LHD with term and a well-below-market aav would be a coup for jarmo.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Viqsi

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
gonna bring back the little chart i posted here last week (with some slight updates) to visualize where the jackets are with the rebuild and how chychrun + bedard/fantilli would help.

A - EstablishedB - Not EstablishedC - Years Away
1 - StarsGaudreau
Werenski
Chychrun
Laine
Bedard/Fantilli
Johnson
Jiricek
Mateychuk
2 - SupportingJennerMarchenko
Sillinger
Boqvist
Svozil
Ceulemans
Dumais
Del Bel Belluz
3 - VolatileRoslovic
Elvis
Blankenburg
Chinakhov
Texier
Peeke
Tarasov
Bean
Voronkov
Knazko
Dolzhenkov
4 - Depth/fillerKuraly
Gudbranson
Robinson
Danforth
Olivier
Bemstrom
Bayreuther
Foudy
Berni
Bjork
Meyer
TFW
Malatesta
Richard

they've nailed the asset acquisition phase. the next step is harder – turning excess talent into productivity.

progress isn't linear and throwing all your youngsters into the NHL at the same time creates a blind-leading-the-blind situation. to ensure talent maturation they should focus on core young guys + surround them with productive veterans who can shoulder some of the load; that's what they're lacking now (2A tier players).

if they can get a 1A (chychrun) for a late first + a 2C asset (i.e. ceulemans) that goes a LONG way toward making the roster better and creating a better developmental situation for the 2B/3B types.

then they could pursue a 2A type forward (ideally a center) that would imo make them a borderline playoff team, and with some maturation for the young guys they could be really good in two years.

i love dumais but would be 100% fine with this, personally.

turning a third round pick into the equivalent of a first rounder in less than a year + flipping that with an asset gained for a pending UFA to bring in a legit top-pair LHD with term and a well-below-market aav would be a coup for jarmo.

My take on Chychrun is this.

Let’s have a scenario where the 2 main assets are LA 1st+ Ceulemans.

To me with or without Chychrun Columbus has a top3 prospect pool in the league. It hurts the future zero, basically.

It would give Columbus a legit defense moving forward

Werenski- x
Chychrun- x
x- Gubranson.

A vet on every pairing.
Chychrun would also allow Svozil& Mateychuk develop without rushing them.
& if the worst happens Chychrun gets traded in 2 years time you get assets back and either both or one of Mateychuk/Svozil should be ready to step into his role.

I’d also rather pay that price thanks to the Gavrikov trade than give a +30y 5-6y contract i the summer and have it in the way when the kids are starting to get paid and you should start being a legit contender.
No reason to try to chase an anchor contract if you can trade for someone who’s contract is a zero risk contract.

The defense needs a veteran more than the C group needs a veteran.
They both need adds but the defense without Gavrikov is an absolute must.

At F I can see potential with Johnson and he’s ahead in development vs the Dprospects

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
My take on Chychrun is this.

To me with or without Chychrun Columbus has a top3 prospect pool in the league. It hurts the future zero, basically.

It would give Columbus a legit defense moving forward

Werenski- x
Chychrun- x
x- Gubranson.

A vet on every pairing.
& if the worst happens Chychrun gets traded in 2 years time you get assets back and either both or one of Mateychuk/Svozil should be ready to step into his role.

I’d also rather pay that price thanks to the Gavrikov trade than give a +30y 5-6y contract i the summer and have it in the way when the kids are starting to get paid and you should start being a legit contender.
No reason to try to chase an anchor contract if you can trade for someone who’s contract is a zero risk contract.

The defense needs a veteran more than the C group needs a veteran.
They both need adds but the defense without Gavrikov is an absolute must.

At F I can see potential with Johnson and he’s ahead in development vs the Dprospects
If we really want to talk about worst case scenarios...

The real worst case scenario is we acquire him and hes hurt for 50+% of the time that he's here and we can't recoup any value for him

Reactions: Cowumbus

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

100% agreed. ceulemans has some tantalizing tools but he's probably the fourth best d prospect in the system, and we already have boqvist/blankenburg/peeke in the NHL.

…and if the best case happens (getting chychrun + him deciding to stick around & extend in two years) then one of boqvist/mateychuk becomes expendable. that's another premium asset you can trade for another star at the top.

i'm all aboard the chychrun train, baby

Reactions: BB88 and CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
100% agreed. ceulemans has some tantalizing tools but he's probably the fourth best d prospect in the system, and we already have boqvist/blankenburg/peeke in the NHL.

…and if the best case happens (getting chychrun + him deciding to stick around & extend in two years) then one of boqvist/mateychuk becomes expendable. that's another premium asset you can trade for another star at the top.

i'm all aboard the chychrun train, baby
The only part that makes me hesitant... Is the affect it has on us the rest of the season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The only part that makes me hesitant... Is the affect it has on us the rest of the season.

They are winning anyways.
Having Gavrikov or no Gavrikov made no difference.

It’s all coming down to lottery and the more I read about Benson the more exciting the top5 gets.
There’s no way to tell how the picks from 3-5 will go

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland

In official form for those who prefer it... I don't understand this trade. Hronek is not a UFA, he has one more year left at $4.4M cap and then he'll be an RFA. I've only heard relatively good things (he's playing with Maatta I think and Detroit fans were saying they've played great together). Canucks intend to contend next year? Detroit planning something bigger with those picks?

Btw that "conditional" NYI 1st rd pick I think confirms that the Kings conditional 1st could also be moved easily if we needed to do so, and it's not that big of a deal for GMs to hammer out the extra conditions (and I think there were some crazy conditions on some trades earlier in the season, like a full-on paragraph or two of conditions, which may have included similarly pre-conditioned things, sadly I don't remember the player or teams...).

Last edited:

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
My main issue is that management publicly spoke about this team being a playoff contender this season. They came out of the gate 3-9 and are now going to use injuries as an excuse, rather than taking an honest look at the roster they've built (center ice position is a disaster, for example).

Not sure this front office group deserves much leeway here. They've been around 10 years and have one 2nd round playoff appearance. Four (really three, sans bubble) straight playoff appearances isn't much of an accomplishment when half the league gets into the postseason (more than half when they made it).

Fans need to have some standards. Some feel Jarmo is the "right person" to guide this franchise through whatever rebuild/retool this is. That's fine. I don't think so. Obviously, management and I disagree on the state of the team as currently constructed, especially if they flip futures for Chychrun in the hopes that it'll make them a playoff team next year.
This is where I’m at. If the Boston deal was nixed because of not wanting to take on salary, I wouldn’t blame ownership, I’d be pissed if I’m the owner and we’re almost over the cap and dead last!

And no way I’m trading for Chychrun without a long term deal, otherwise he’s likely walking at the end of this contract

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
And no way I’m trading for Chychrun without a long term deal, otherwise he’s likely walking at the end of this contract
he has two more years after this one. his deal is up at the end of 2025. he won't be eligible to sign an extension until july 2024.

so, like… if you trade for him, and he doesn't extend by the trade deadline in 2025… you can just trade him then and recoup the initial cost. mateychuk/svozil will be ready to rock by then.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To be clear, I'm in support of a summer acquisition of Chychrun. Not a deadline move. Just be sellers and hope you can get him in the summer.

My point here is that "we don't know if we'll be good" is not a good reason to not acquire a young player.

Do you think this team is going to be good next season?

Chychrun goes UFA in July 2025. Why would we burn assets to bring a guy in when the team isn't likely ready to be in contention?

Don't forget you can recoup assets at either of the next two deadlines for Chychrun if things don't go well for the Jackets. You'll get at least a 1st back and maybe even the whole package.

There's also a significant chance this guy would be part of the Jackets org for a long time. Could be a ten year acquisition and a long term core piece, we don't know.

I also don't like this idea that you don't make moves to improve unless you're a contender. It's a step by step thing, you're not going to pop as a contender all at once.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This is where I’m at. If the Boston deal was nixed because of not wanting to take on salary, I wouldn’t blame ownership, I’d be pissed if I’m the owner and we’re almost over the cap and dead last!

I'm not sure if I want Chychrun or not but if he won't extend he can be traded for about what we paid.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The most in depth analysis of Chychrun I've come across is the PDO cast episode on him with a Coyotes journalist. They covered his game in detail.

Key points - his D game has improved a lot this year, especially the physical side of it. He's gotten very strong. Above average defender.

The rest is mostly the same. Average in transition and playmaking, not creative but executes well, great shooter.

Sounds a lot like Werenski 2.0 to me. Yes I would like two.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad