2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

This franchise will never learn how to rebuild.

Im not on board with Chychrun.. but you have some High end talent taking major steps right now in Johnson and Marchenko .. you are adding Jiricek next yr .. Boquist looks to be a gem , and a legit #1 power play guy . Gaudreau sped up the timeline a bit, but Jarmo won’t compromise the long term .. Chychrun is 24 , I’m guessing any other considerations are in that mold

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So you’ll complain about Jarmo when the team is bad, but also complain about Jarmo when he wants to trade some hypotheticals for a known, good player?

Chychrun might not be the right guy, but I’m a bit confused as to what it is some of you want.

Do you think this team is going to be good next season?

Chychrun goes UFA in July 2025. Why would we burn assets to bring a guy in when the team isn't likely ready to be in contention?

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
if they can add a top four defenseman and a veteran top six center, they could be competitive. chychrun is the best defenseman on the market. then they can swing big on a center this summer via trade.

add bedard into that equation? baby, you've got a stew going.

does chychrun do all that on his own? no. but no player does! if you want a better team, you start by getting better players!

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

Chychrun goes UFA in July 2025. Why would we burn assets to bring a guy in when the team isn't likely ready to be in contention?
I gave the Chychrun caveat but you’re also assuming there’s a 0% chance we can re-sign him.

My generic point is that you’ll complain about Jarmo when he doesn’t “rebuild properly” but you’ll also complain when the team is bad, which are pretty conflicting viewpoints.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Is that simple?

Quick is not very good and makes a lot of money.
the point here was that the path to clearing cap space for the bonus overages is simple.

practically speaking, flipping quick will be tough, yeah.

also weekes tweets like this typically indicate that something's cookin'

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I gave the Chychrun caveat but you’re also assuming there’s a 0% chance we can re-sign him.

My generic point is that you’ll complain about Jarmo when he doesn’t “rebuild properly” but you’ll also complain when the team is bad, which are pretty conflicting viewpoints.

My main issue is that management publicly spoke about this team being a playoff contender this season. They came out of the gate 3-9 and are now going to use injuries as an excuse, rather than taking an honest look at the roster they've built (center ice position is a disaster, for example).

Not sure this front office group deserves much leeway here. They've been around 10 years and have one 2nd round playoff appearance. Four (really three, sans bubble) straight playoff appearances isn't much of an accomplishment when half the league gets into the postseason (more than half when they made it).

Fans need to have some standards. Some feel Jarmo is the "right person" to guide this franchise through whatever rebuild/retool this is. That's fine. I don't think so. Obviously, management and I disagree on the state of the team as currently constructed, especially if they flip futures for Chychrun in the hopes that it'll make them a playoff team next year.

Reactions: BluejacketNut

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I believe it. He's pretty plugged in.
Rimer was also saying this a month or so ago, and since then we've re-heard that Chychrun doesn't want to come here. So Rimer could just be holding onto whatever he heard prior to the last couple of weeks.

Of course, it could also be that the national reporters haven't updated their thoughts since the offseason.

Reactions: LJ7

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Rimer was also saying this a month or so ago, and since then we've re-heard that Chychrun doesn't want to come here. So Rimer could just be holding onto whatever he heard prior to the last couple of weeks.

Of course, it could also be that the national reporters haven't updated their thoughts since the offseason.
Both of those scenarios are entirely possible, unless Chychrun would be vehemently opposed to being here I really don't mind going for him. We need to consolidate a fair bit.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm certain the CAP thing can be fixed via LTIR?

I also don't think Chychrun is the solution to being competitive (even with Bedard). Again f he wants to come here, you just have to realize a 2 year window and I'm not sure if that time frame works?

In my mind:
CBJ Goaltenders - Elvis is playing better but I think based on 2022-23 results you have to rate them as bottom 25% in the NHL? So on 1-5 scale (5 great, 1 is bad) likely 1.5-2? Again you may have some potential, but if you have an impartial POV (point of view) I don't think anyone is pumped about what we have there.
Blue Line - Adding back Zach and adding Chychrun - still be botton half of the leage but closer to league average (so averall just slightly below average). Same scale 2.25-2.5.
Forwards - Adding Bedard to Johnny Hockey, Laine and Jenner likely puts you at average, likely slightly above. 2.75 on scale. Could be higher if the defense improved as a group.
Coaching - We're either breaking in a new staff, or keeping the likable guy who just isn't very good. So 1.5.

I don't know how with questionable goaltending and bad coaching gets different results? Overall average on skaters.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

This franchise will never learn how to rebuild.

What do you mean?

Johnson in 2021
Jiricek in 2022
Top5 pick in 2023 (best top of the draft since 2015).

+
Mateychuk
Svozil
Dumais
Chinakhov
Marchenko
Tarasov

What exactly have they done so terrible wrong?

+
Added Gaudreau from the market.

All that even if you take out Ceulemans+ LA 1st

This 2023 draft should be the last one they’ll be interested in a very long time.
The new drafted core should be set and the goal after that should be to start getting wins on the ice and be a contender in 2-3 years time

Everyone knows and agrees they need to add quality veterans into the lineup and not allow this to turn into Buffalo/Detroit type rebuilds

Reactions: CBJx614

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Id like to know tbe actual timelines of this info or if people are just bring up all news. We know Chychrun wasnt excited about a Columbus deal at the draft. We know he became open to the idea after the Gaudreau signing. After that is it a back and forth of that news we already knew or is there legit up to date facts of where Chychrun's head is?

Reactions: GoJackets1

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
imagine how many heads will explode including mine when friedman tweets “hearing CLB/AZ have agreed on a trade involving Chychrun, LA 1st, Dumais

*sarcasm, I HOPE*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad