2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
who doesn’t want to be here, who will be counting the days until he hits free agency, and who will possibly be injured (based on past history) so we might not be able to flip him at the deadline in 2025. Makes no sense to me. I’d rather use the LA first and other assets to find a guy under team control for many years.
And on top of all that, is he really that good?
I know CBJ needs a vet D….but far from convinced that Chychrun is the right player, even if he wants to be here! Not saying he’s a bad player, just not the player they need. He’s the top of the TDL list now but that doesn’t mean he’d be best available this summer.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I have to think there is playoff team that would like to have Quick even if it is for their 3rd goalie..

as CBJ did with Kinkaid

NHL players can be found in the 5th round
That makes sense to me. Retain half his salary take the appropriate pick and do the right thing (while adding a small bit of draft capital).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
who doesn’t want to be here, who will be counting the days until he hits free agency, and who will possibly be injured (based on past history) so we might not be able to flip him at the deadline in 2025. Makes no sense to me. I’d rather use the LA first and other assets to find a guy under team control for many years.

You can’t talk as in quarantees.

That’s just your speculation

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
You can’t talk as in quarantees.

That’s just your speculation
That makes sense to me. Retain half his salary take the appropriate pick and do the right thing (while adding a small bit of draft capital).
That presumes some PO team wants Quick, even for a 7th, which might be too large an assumption. If it can get done, absolutely CBJ should do the right thing.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Has it been confirmed he doesn't want to be here? Last confirmed thing i saw was he didn't want to be here, but changed his tune after the JG signing. Yes this team is worse that Arizona right now, but that is all down to injuries. Saying he doesn't want to be here now seems like nothing but speculation at this point. I am not saying trade for him because he would welcomed a trade here in July, but it has as much validity as saying he doesn't want to be here now, which is none, until someone can confirm it.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Regarding Chychrun - Did Jarmo learn nothing from Chicago's trade for Jones?
What should he have learned? We arent in a similar position to where Chicago was at the time of that trade

Has it been confirmed he doesn't want to be here? Last confirmed thing i saw was he didn't want to be here, but changed his tune after the JG signing. Yes this team is worse that Arizona right now, but that is all down to injuries. Saying he doesn't want to be here now seems like nothing but speculation at this point. I am not saying trade for him because he would welcomed a trade here in July, but it has as much validity as saying he doesn't want to be here now, which is none, until someone can confirm it.
We need something to speculate about now that Jarmo got his 1st in a trade after many were losing their minds because there were none left to get

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What should he have learned? We arent in a similar position to where Chicago was at the time of that trade
He should learn to not trade multiple picks and young players for a defenseman when you aren't relatively certain of how your team will do in the next year.

If we were solidly a playoff team right now, sure it makes sense. But way too much is up in the air at this point to spend futures targeting a guy like Chychrun. It blew up in Chicago's face and very likely could blow up in Columbus's too.

Reactions: koteka

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
He should learn to not trade multiple picks and young players for a defenseman when you aren't relatively certain of how your team will do in the next year.

If we were solidly a playoff team right now, sure it makes sense. But way too much is up in the air at this point to spend futures targeting a guy like Chychrun. It blew up in Chicago's face and very likely could blow up in Columbus's too.
Chychrun has 2 years after this at a great cap hit. Columbus is also a team on the upswing who needs to start adding skill and vets with the kids. Chicago was a team trying to stay afloat led by a terrible GM clinging to past success. We've had so many 1st rounders recently, its time to start adding to the team. Cant bring in a bunch of kids all at once and expect big things, especially on the blue line.

Reactions: CBJx614

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
There was a recent tweet from one of the National guys saying he was “not happy” that CBJ was still in discussions, I can’t find it right now though

Edit: found it, this tweet was quoting Elliotte Friedman on a radio hit:

Last edited:

614 CBJ

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Biggest concern regarding Chychrun, how long before he doesn't want to be here?

If he wants to be a Jacket, then it could be a home run.

Center and LHD are clearly 2 biggest areas of need

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
From The Athletic-
Dom Luszczyszyn:
Columbus, as is always the case at the deadline, did very well here.

The Blue Jackets didn’t get as much as they could’ve from Boston, but they still continue to stockpile strong assets for overrated players, cashing in on the hype year after year. There’s no team better at getting the absolute most at the deadline for marginal upgrades. And they did it again. Maybe one day they’ll win a trade where they get the player instead of the pick.

Kings grade: C
Blue Jackets grade: A-

Sean Gentille:
This can only be a disappointment for the Blue Jackets, who were tantalizingly close to getting their ask on Gavrikov, then also being able to shop one of the best available deadline goalies to elsewhere. Boston valued Gavrikov more than the rest of the league, it seems, and both players are gone in the same package deal. First-rounders are first-rounders, though, and both players they sent back are UFAs. And it’d be unfair to dock them all that much, just because the Bruins overvalued Gavrikov.

Kings grade: B
Blue Jackets grade: B-

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
From The Athletic-
Dom Luszczyszyn:
Columbus, as is always the case at the deadline, did very well here.

The Blue Jackets didn’t get as much as they could’ve from Boston, but they still continue to stockpile strong assets for overrated players, cashing in on the hype year after year. There’s no team better at getting the absolute most at the deadline for marginal upgrades. And they did it again. Maybe one day they’ll win a trade where they get the player instead of the pick.

Kings grade: C
Blue Jackets grade: A-

Sean Gentille:
This can only be a disappointment for the Blue Jackets, who were tantalizingly close to getting their ask on Gavrikov, then also being able to shop one of the best available deadline goalies to elsewhere. Boston valued Gavrikov more than the rest of the league, it seems, and both players are gone in the same package deal. First-rounders are first-rounders, though, and both players they sent back are UFAs. And it’d be unfair to dock them all that much, just because the Bruins overvalued Gavrikov.

Kings grade: B
Blue Jackets grade: B-
wherein dom refers to gavrikov as 'big and mean' (because he's never watched him play) and docks the blue jackets for getting 'less' than they would've gotten from boston (even though the draft pick value is higher per dom's own damn chart!)

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
it makes my heart happy to see that nearly everyone of my fellow cbj board pals are on the same train as me.. the ‘jarmo, don’t trade for chychrun’ train.

I didn’t want him the second we started getting linked with him.

after hearing his expressed disinterest to play for us, even more so.

please jarmo, stay away from him. keep the first and the picks, and our beloved assets in this case.

Reactions: Jovavic

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And on top of all that, is he really that good?
I know CBJ needs a vet D….but far from convinced that Chychrun is the right player, even if he wants to be here! Not saying he’s a bad player, just not the player they need. He’s the top of the TDL list now but that doesn’t mean he’d be best available this summer.
I'd say he absolutely is that good. But it's a Ryan Murray sort of good. Fantastawonderful when you have him, but that just makes his time lost to injury all the more painful.

Reactions: majormajor

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Regarding Chychrun - Did Jarmo learn nothing from Chicago's trade for Jones?
this trade wouldn't include a $9.5m extension after the first year. chychrun's cap is $4.6m and he has two more years.

I'd say he absolutely is that good. But it's a Ryan Murray sort of good. Fantastawonderful when you have him, but that just makes his time lost to injury all the more painful.
the alternative is basically to hope that orlov signs here (locking him up until he's 40) or to hope that they can pry miller away from nyr via offer sheet (which is successful maybe once per decade).

the injury stuff is a real concern, but imo 60 games a year of chychrun at $4.6m is better than 82 games of orlov at $6.5m or miller at $8m, or whatever that'd take.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
wherein dom refers to gavrikov as 'big and mean' (because he's never watched him play) and docks the blue jackets for getting 'less' than they would've gotten from boston (even though the draft pick value is higher per dom's own damn chart!)
And his ostensible compliment about the Jackets at the deadline arising entirely from his constantly and consistently underrating and dismissing our guys and thus always being caught off guard when they return value and refusing to actually learn from it despite it happening again and again and again and again and again...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
the alternative is basically to hope that orlov signs here (locking him up until he's 40) or to hope that they can pry miller away from nyr via offer sheet (which is successful maybe once per decade).

the injury stuff is a real concern, but imo 60 games a year of chychrun at $4.6m is better than 82 games of orlov at $6.5m or miller at $8m, or whatever that'd take.
Depends a lot on the cost of acquisition, IMO.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
And his ostensible compliment about the Jackets at the deadline arising entirely from his constantly and consistently underrating and dismissing our guys and thus always being caught off guard when they return value and refusing to actually learn from it despite it happening again and again and again and again and again...
exactly -- even then, he wrote a whole-ass thing this week saying everyone should stay away from gavrikov. then the jackets get a 1st+ for him and it's "they could've done better" lol

Depends a lot on the cost of acquisition, IMO.
agreed, but the options i'm seeing are either massively overpaying a guy like orlov (in both dollars and term) or doing a different big trade for a player who's not available yet. if it's a guy like miller, the acquisition cost would be similar, but the contract would be less favorable and the odds of pulling it off would be way worse.

Someone's going to have to help me out with the LTIR math on this one.

should be as simple as trading quick or someone like robinson/roslovic/whomever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad