2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Chychrun is not worth it, more so because of his desire to be elsewhere.
under contract for two more years after this one, though.

he's the best defenseman available and is on a very cheap contract. he's the best option out there to improve the defense. adding him should significantly improve the team. orlov is the best UFA option, he 1) isn't as good, 2) is way older and 3) is looking for a 7-year deal.

if the team improves enough to be competitive within the next two years, maybe chychrun decides to stick around. if not, they just trade him to recoup most of the initial cost.

there's a bit of risk, but there's risk in any move. this one has a clear out and a ton of upside. personally, i think it's worthwhile.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe we should focus not on Chychrun, but on Černák, for example. Tough defenseman, who plays great defense, has a good contract. Only a year older than Peeke. Perfect to Boqvist (although both are R one could play on LS like Blankenburg in Blanks-Peeke pair). In turn, Jiříček would gradually gain time, he could grow not like Sillinger.
Trade - for example Peeke, Robinson/Foudy for Černák (I don't count drafts).

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
That's what I'm afraid of. If he doesn't want to be here we shouldn't trade for him.
the trade target criteria is already:
- needs to fit the roster needs AND
- needs to be an improvement AND
- needs to have an affordable contract AND
- needs to have term on that contract AND
- needs to not have NTC/NTC protection AND
- needs to be available on the trade market AND
- needs to have a reasonable acquisition cost

adding another layer of "needs to want to play here" you're going to limit your options even further seeing as the jackets are currently the last-place team and play in a market most players aren't overly familiar with.

if they get chychrun, and he doesn't want to be here, they'll have two-plus years to get him to change his mind. if he doesn't, they can trade him again to recoup the costs.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
if they get chychrun, and he doesn't want to be here, they'll have two-plus years to get him to change his mind. if he doesn't, they can trade him again to recoup the costs.
As I pointed out earlier, I think you should also need to consider which version of "I don't want to be here" Chychrun we would be getting in that scenario...

"I don't like it here but I'll play hard every game and be a good teammate"

"I don't like it here and I might try to quit and force a trade"

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
As I pointed out earlier, I think you should also need to consider which version of "I don't want to be here" Chychrun we would be getting in that scenario...

"I don't like it here but I'll play hard every game and be a good teammate"

"I don't like it here and I might try to quit and force a trade"
he requested a trade from arizona nearly two years ago and has played extremely well in that timeframe, so that's not a huge concern for me.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Why are people low key crapping on Quick? He might be over the hill but he's the one who got screwed in this deal, no fault of CBJ. I say show some respect and bring him in and squeeze what you can out of the guy :D He's a cup winning goalie and he didn't luck into it by being "good enough".

IMO it would be worth it just for the stories, given he gets over his disappointment and actually reports in. There's even a small chance (very very small) that he'll yoda Elvis into a future star just by his mythical presence and battle aura!

Really sounds like this guy is intent on being a dbag, get him moved out ASAP.

Dude just got blindside traded by the franchise he's played all his career for, currently in his 16th (!!) season, to the team placed last in the standings. You'd feel a bit grumpy yourself I bet. He's not the dbag in this situation.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Chychrun, except 2020/21 COVID-19 season, never played not only 75 g but even 70 g. Sorry, but have him and also know he would want to stay here... better to find another d-man. Or work with our.

Lumii_20230301_160759046.jpg

Reactions: I3LI3 and Fro

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Why are people low key crapping on Quick? He might be over the hill but he's the one who got screwed in this deal, no fault of CBJ. I say show some respect and bring him in and squeeze what you can out of the guy :D He's a cup winning goalie and he didn't luck into it by being "good enough".

IMO it would be worth it just for the stories, given he gets over his disappointment and actually reports in. There's even a small chance (very very small) that he'll yoda Elvis into a future star just by his mythical presence and battle aura!

Dude just got blindside traded by the franchise he's played all his career for, currently in his 16th (!!) season, to the team placed last in the standings. You'd feel a bit grumpy yourself I bet. He's not the dbag in this situation.
I disagree. If you’re a UFA on an expiring contract, you should ALWAYS be aware you could be traded at the deadline (especially a guy with no NTC). Especially a vet that’s been around as long as Quick. Carter was different because he just signed an 11 year deal with Philly so I didn’t blame him for being a dbag when he was sent here. Quick knows better and I guarantee the possibility had at least been floated to him by management this season.

• Haha
Reactions: I3LI3

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
under contract for two more years after this one, though.
Yeah I know, but the ask is 3 first rounders and a roster player.
he's the best defenseman available and is on a very cheap contract. he's the best option out there to improve the defense. adding him should significantly improve the team. orlov is the best UFA option, he 1) isn't as good, 2) is way older and 3) is looking for a 7-year deal.
Yeah, but wait until the off-season and other guys might be available. For instance if the Rangers are going to lose Miller, I think we could offer a very nice package
if the team improves enough to be competitive within the next two years, maybe chychrun decides to stick around. if not, they just trade him to recoup most of the initial cost.
Assuming he stays healthy and plays well sure. But if they trade him and don’t get what we pay, how does that help?
there's a bit of risk, but there's risk in any move. this one has a clear out and a ton of upside. personally, i think it's worthwhile.
Agree to disagree I guess. He’s a great player, but I’m not convinced this team is close enough to being competitive for this to even be worth it. Why can’t this wait until the draft? He will make the team better THIS season which is not what we want..

I guess for me, it depends on what we give up. If we can keep Sillinger, Johnson, CBJ 2023 1st, Jiricek and Mateychuk, then maybe it is worth it. But if a deal ends up being 2023 LAK 1st, Mateychuk, Peeke and Cuelemans I’m not sure I like that at all.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not sure he waits for the summer. Many of the suiters who traded their way out of Chychrun this season are able to trade for him again. If he truly wants Chychrun, now is the time.
How many of those teams can legit spend 2 1st rounders (in value) for Chychrun in the summer?

Toronto, nope
Boston, nope
Edmonton, nope
La, nope.
They aren’t going to burn down everything for Chychrun.

Still if Jarmo/company want him then this is the best time to do so

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'd describe it as kind of like how we felt with the Atkinson trade at the time, only several orders of magnitude worse because:
1) there's no homecoming for the other guy coming back to dull it
2) Atkinson wasn't THE GUY that created a multi-Cup dynasty
3) Atkinson wasn't going to retire in two months

Reactions: domi28 and MissADD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad