2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
That's how I feel about Schmaltz.
i assume someone's gonna massively overpay for crouse.

schmaltz would be a really nice add. jackets are one of the few teams that can commit to that type of contract (3 years left at $5.8m).

…that said, it kinda feels like schmaltz for vrana + one of detroit's newly-acquired first rounders makes too much sense for both parties, right?

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
i assume someone's gonna massively overpay for crouse.

schmaltz would be a really nice add. jackets are one of the few teams that can commit to that type of contract (3 years left at $5.8m).
He certainly appeals to me more than Crouse, who I view as a dime a dozen guy who doesn't offer a LW upgrade over the current LWs

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
He certainly appeals to me more than Crouse, who I view as a dime a dozen guy who doesn't offer a LW upgrade over the current LWs
yeah i don't think he's necessarily an upgrade in terms of talent but his fit would be interesting as a power forward at LW on the second line – one of those guys who makes the team around him better.

for example, a crouse - johnson - laine line would be pretty sick. left handed playmaker, right handed shooting threat on the right wing, and a physical forechecker who can go to the net or stand up for them.

that said he's one of those guys that everyone overpays for, so it's probably a no-go.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Maybe with us paying. I'm not sure how Vegas squeezes him in without double retention.
Don’t think we’d pay anything to move him. Think we’d be willing to do 50% retained to Team A for future considerations, then Team A retains 50% of that for a 7th-round pick from Vegas.

Not sure if there’s a Team A that would think a 7th-round pick is worth $150k., but my guess is there probably is somewhere.

If we’d somehow have to give up something, then I’d just keep Quick, and tell him he can report or we’ll terminate his contract. I wouldn’t give up anything in this.

ETA: I see this is irrelevant discussion now based on the posts above haha.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He started the double retention trend. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

1) I just gave you examples of double retained trades before the Savard & Foligno deals.
2) I'm not sure that a 3rd party eating a cap hit is really the selling team "weaponizing" their cap space. CBJ have never been a 3rd party broker in a trade to my knowledge.

So now that we've established the facts that Jarmo did not start the double retention trend, please explain how a double retention trade is "weaponizing cap space" any more than a simple retained salary trade.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Since the Horvat deal kicked things off on 1/30 I count TWELVE first round picks exchanging hands. Wow. That has to be a record.

More than anything that tells me the back half of this draft isn’t anything special — granted a couple of those are 2024 picks.
Boomer on NHL Radio was talking about this yesterday, going into yesterday it was 9 for 2023. That was compared to only a total of 3-4 each year (2022, 2021, 2020 2019). Crazy stat.. even crazier that its up to 12 now :laugh:

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
1) I just gave you examples of double retained trades before the Savard & Foligno deals.
2) I'm not sure that a 3rd party eating a cap hit is really the selling team "weaponizing" their cap space. CBJ have never been a 3rd party broker in a trade to my knowledge.

So now that we've established the facts that Jarmo did not start the double retention trend, please explain how a double retention trade is "weaponizing cap space" any more than a simple retained salary trade.
Double max retention was what I was referring to, but, whatever. If as far as you're concerned the only way to "weaponize cap space" is to basically do what Arizona's been doing with stuff like the Voracek trade just now, then yes, he's never done that.

Otherwise, one can also point to the Saad acquisition-via-offersheet-threat, which lead into the Panarin trade. But I'm sure those "won't count" because something something narrative must prove Kekalainen sucks. Perhaps you can provide examples of what you think would constitute "weaponizing cap space" so as to avoid Your logical fallacy is ambiguity

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
So with Quick flipped and Voracek traded (sad day in that sense), that pretty much concludes the "must get it done" part of TDL for us, right? Anything else is just extra. All in all a fine trade season - maybe not quite as neat and tidy as could've been but the end result has been ok/good.

Can't quite see how Hutchinson or Gillies could be flipped, and any roster trade would come a little bit out of left field at this point.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Fro

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Look at the players Boston has added.

Crouse would be a great add.

After this draft you could really end up looking at the F core and realizing it’s build around smaller players.
Crouse at 6’4 with ability to score 20+ would be a nice addition to the top6/9.

He’s also signed for 4 more years.

Johnson
Gaudreau
Sillinger
Dumais

+
Bedard/Michkov/Benson
They are all basically 5’9-6’0.
You don’t want to be Toronto from few years ago where they were just bullied.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I think Crouse would be a great fit

Svozil, Roslovic, Robinson for Crouse (I don't count draft pics). I prefer Kňažko instead of Svozil but I doubt Arizona would prefer him too. Also I doubt Arizona would want one from Texier/Bemstrom.

After this draft you could really end up looking at the F core and realizing it’s build around smaller players.

Johnson
Gaudreau
Sillinger
Dumais

+
Bedard/Michkov/Benson
They are all basically 5’9-6’0.
You don’t want to be Toronto from few years ago where they were just bullied.
This. Although I'm not sure if we trade one of these players.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

he'd would bring elements to the top six that no one else here really does. that'd lead to a lot of options for the top six moving forward.

crouse - johnson - laine? extremely balanced line.

crouse - sillinger - marchenko? size, grit, skill.

crouse - bedard - gaudreau? (fingers crossed lol) you have a productive netfront presence who can deter opponents from taking liberties with the two smaller dudes.

i could see arizona going for something like chinakhov + a couple mid-round picks. gets them salary relief and a high-upside winger. gives cbj a current upgrade at wing who brings something different (cbj have a lot of shoot-first wings)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Double max retention was what I was referring to, but, whatever. If as far as you're concerned the only way to "weaponize cap space" is to basically do what Arizona's been doing with stuff like the Voracek trade just now, then yes, he's never done that.

Otherwise, one can also point to the Saad acquisition-via-offersheet-threat, which lead into the Panarin trade. But I'm sure those "won't count" because something something narrative must prove Kekalainen sucks. Perhaps you can provide examples of what you think would constitute "weaponizing cap space" so as to avoid Your logical fallacy is ambiguity

How is double max retention any more "weaponizing" than the selling team retaining 50% in a straight up deal?

1) We've never been a 3rd party broker -> acquiring middle round picks for $100-$200k each.
2) We've never taken on a bad contract and been paid (in picks) to do so (see: Arizona).
3) We've never swung a trade because a capped out team had to get rid of players (Pacioretty to Carolina, for example).

Jarmo has spoken specifically about point #3 in the past when discussing what he wanted to do with extra cap space. He's never done it.

I know a lot of people are giddy but Cup contending teams at (or even above) the cap have found ways to make it work. The closest I can come up with off the top of my head is Vegas having to unload Pacioretty for nothing because they went and got Eichel, and they did it in an offseason in which they didn't even make the playoffs.

Perhaps my point isn't that Jarmo has been unwilling to "weaponize" cap space, so much as all of these "aha! surely these cap teams will suffer for overcommitting future money!" moments just never materialize. Of course, as I mentioned, we had to offload Bjorkstrand for almost nothing because this front office didn't prepare for the possibility that Johnny Gaudreau wanted to come here. That was Seattle weaponizing their cap space *against us.*

Coyotes loading up on picks. They do know there's a 50 contract maximum, right?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
he'd would bring elements to the top six that no one else here really does. that'd lead to a lot of options for the top six moving forward.

crouse - bedard - gaudreau? (fingers crossed lol) you have a productive netfront presence who can deter opponents from taking liberties with the two smaller dudes.

i could see arizona going for something like chinakhov + a couple mid-round picks. gets them salary relief and a high-upside winger. gives cbj a current upgrade at wing who brings something different (cbj have a lot of shoot-first wings)
I prefer Crouse -- Johnson -- Laine. But there is one problem. Boone won't play in the bottom 6 and probably won't play wing either. So it could easily happen that in acquiring a quality center, he would move to Laine and Johnson as the other center. I think his style of play is more suited to wing. In this case Crouse would play third line forward with Sillinger + someone.

Arizona could want Chinakhov and Svozil (I prefer Kňažko instead of Stanislav but I doubt Arizona too).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Svozil, Roslovic, Robinson for Crouse (I don't count draft pics). I prefer Kňažko instead of Svozil but I doubt Arizona would prefer him too. Also I doubt Arizona would want one from Texier/Bemstrom.

This. Although I'm not sure if we trade one of these players.

The only concern with Crouse would be the price.

But he’s exactly the type of player Columbus should try to add.

All the top teams in the East have done lot of work on adding more grit/physical presence into their lineup because they know pretty play won’t win you championships.

You have to have size, grit and physicality in your top9

Reactions: cbjthrowaway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad