2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I prefer Crouse -- Johnson -- Laine. But there is one problem. Boone won't play in the bottom 6 and probably won't play wing either.
i'd assume with this that they'd keep the 13-38-86 top line together, but if they end up drafting bedard or trading for a center, having something like a jenner - sillinger - texier third line would be really fun. could be a frequently used identity line + boone would still be on both special teams units.

jenner's played in the bottom six plenty before when the team was good (he was on the fourth line in the tampa series iirc).
So it could easily happen that in acquiring a quality center, he would move to Laine and Johnson as the other center. I think his style of play is more suited to wing. In this case Crouse would play third line forward with Sillinger + someone.
could also see that happening! wouldn't be a bad outcome at all, would still be a fit.

Arizona could want Chinakhov and Svozil (I prefer Kňažko instead of Stanislav but I doubt Arizona too).
same page here as well. svozil's close to untouchable for me unless there's a good center coming back.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Provorov?? Heard he is available and would slot in nicely as a 2nd pair guy?? Plus is signed for 2 more years of control.

Reactions: VT

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

What a difference a year makes. We had to pay a 6th to get rid of Domi last year. Now, Chicago gets a 2nd for him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
i'd assume with this that they'd keep the 13-38-86 top line together, but if they end up drafting bedard or trading for a center, having something like a jenner - sillinger - texier third line would be really fun. could be a frequently used identity line + boone would still be on both special teams units.

jenner's played in the bottom six plenty before when the team was good (he was on the fourth line in the tampa series iirc).

could also see that happening! wouldn't be a bad outcome at all, would still be a fit.

same page here as well. svozil's close to untouchable for me unless there's a good center coming back.
1. That was once upon a time. Now Boone plays center, he has a different position so he won't play lower. Although I agree with you, if I'm not mistaken, I've written about the Jenner -- Sillinger -- Texier line before. Only in this case, Cole would probably play winger.

Btw, there's another possibility, could be Course -- Jenner -- Laine line (what I would like the most) and try Gaudreau -- Johnson -- Marchenko. If I'm not mistaken, they haven't played together yet and Johnson and Marchenko have great chemistry.

2. That depends on how interested Jarmo would be in the Course and if he's even interested. Because don't forget Mateychuk. Although I wouldn't be 100x excited about trading him either, but it seems to me that the only untouchables are Jiříček, Marchenko and Johnson.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wonder if Arizona can also take Gudbranson contract

Why would they need to?

Getting out of Nyquist& Voracek contracts mean plenty of cap space for next year.

& you need vets in the lineup or they’ll end up like Buffalo or Edmonton

Reactions: Marioesque

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’d rather take a UFA gamble for veteran presence

That 4M isn’t going to stop you.

They have to have some consistency and players won’t respond well if they are seeing half the team leave regularly.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
in total so far (retention numbers are just ballpark):

CBJ LOSTCBJ GAINED
Gavrikov
Korpisalo
Nyquist
Nyquist retention (~$680k)
Quick
Quick retention (~$340k)
2023 6th round pick
LAK 2023 1st (currently 23rd)
LAK 2024 3rd
BOS 2023 5th
VGK 2025 7th
Hutchinson
Gillies
$8.25m cap relief through 23-24 (Voracek)

they lost nothing off of next year's roster, netted three draft picks (including a likely top-25 pick), improved the tankability of this year's team, and freed up a boatload of cap for next year.

all in all it's been a resounding success, i'd say.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
I had a thought this week that maybe one reason we acquired Gudbranson and paid that heavy price was to get the veteran leadership fully knowing that Nyquist, Gavrikov and Korpisalo are on the way out and preparing for that. I mean obviously that was a part of it, but maybe there was a more deliberate thinking going on where "we can get this guy who will keep the locker room culture on point and not allow a losing culture set in" versus getting a younger dman who would be a better player but couldn't help with the leadership. Right now I'm... happy? we have a guy like that in the room, even with that cap hit and play issues.

I reserve the right to change my opinion next year when we bleed goals because of his mistakes. :D

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had a thought this week that maybe one reason we acquired Gudbranson and paid that heavy price was to get the veteran leadership fully knowing that Nyquist, Gavrikov and Korpisalo are on the way out and preparing for that. I mean obviously that was a part of it, but maybe there was a more deliberate thinking going on where "we can get this guy who will keep the locker room culture on point and not allow a losing culture set in" versus getting a younger dman who would be a better player but couldn't help with the leadership. Right now I'm... happy? we have a guy like that in the room, even with that cap hit and play issues.

I reserve the right to change my opinion next year when we bleed goals because of his mistakes. :D

I'd put more weight on the pugilism part. And they seemed to think he was better at hockey than he is. Maybe he adds a bit in leadership but Guddy has also mostly played on bad teams (perhaps no coincidence). So "winning culture" is maybe not the right term for what he brings.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
in total so far (retention numbers are just ballpark):

CBJ LOSTCBJ GAINED
Gavrikov
Korpisalo
Nyquist
Nyquist retention (~$680k)
Quick
Quick retention (~$340k)
2023 6th round pick
LAK 2023 1st (currently 23rd)
LAK 2024 3rd
BOS 2023 5th
VGK 2025 7th
Hutchinson
Gillies
$8.25m cap relief through 23-24 (Voracek)

they lost nothing off of next year's roster, netted three draft picks (including a likely top-25 pick), improved the tankability of this year's team, and freed up a boatload of cap for next year.

all in all it's been a resounding success, i'd say.

Not sure "resounding success" is accurate, given the bungled Boston deal. Look at some of the other trades. Picks clearly don't hold much value this deadline.

They got assets, sure. Had Jarmo moved a little sooner you're probably talking about maybe another mid round pick in there and maybe some of those non-1sts are bumped up a round.

Reactions: I3LI3

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure "resounding success" is accurate, given the bungled Boston deal. Look at some of the other trades. Picks clearly don't hold much value this deadline.

They got assets, sure. Had Jarmo moved a little sooner you're probably talking about maybe another mid round pick in there and maybe some of those non-1sts are bumped up a round.

We got a much better 1st though which more than makes up for that.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
So… do we think we’re done? All pending UFAs gone. Cleared “enough” cap space for next year. Resolved the Quick dilemma. Chychrun has been moved…

Feels like that might be it for us, at least from us being “proactive”. Who knows if someone will approach Jarmo tomorrow with an offer that he won’t turn down.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To not even listen seems irresponsible to me.

Best not to take Jarmo's words literally here. He isn't the type to plug his ears or hold players sacred. He'll listen. A Jenner trade is not going to happen for practical reasons, not because he is a sacred cow.

That being said I wouldn't trade him for anything less than something like 2 firsts,a 2023 2nd and a couple of proven prospects or a young roster guy with 2 to 3 years of team control.

Still if those are just late 1sts, that's not worth it. You probably won't even get a Boone Jenner level player out of it after years of waiting and you've just mired the current club deeper into a leaderless morass. We wouldn't even be offered what we shouldn't accept so it's such a stupid conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad