2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I’m certainly not taking Hayes at full price. The flyers have to eat some of that money and attach a pick on it. I doubt that’s what will happen, but we appear to be at desperate times for a center.

This also kind of implies to me that we’re not confident in Texier returning to us. Not that most of us here weren’t expecting that anyway.

Center options we have for next year (on our current team right now): Jenner, Sillinger, Roslovic, Johnson, Kuraly

You have to improve that. Even Connor Bedard (who we’re not going to get) doesn’t save that center group. Need at least two guys into that mix to help out.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Why would you still think about the Boston deal?
They ended up with a better 1st rounder via LA trade.

He also created ton of cap space for next year and has set them up to an ideal position to take advantage of teams in cap hell

"A ton of cap space for next year" -> only if you consider ownership doesn't want to dip into LTIR via an insured contract.
"Ideal position to take advantage of teams in cap hell" - I've heard this refrain for, what, 4 years running? It's never happened. In fact, we got taken advantage of in "cap hell" when Gaudreau unexpectedly signed here and we had to dump Bjorkstrand.

I don't know why people keep expecting teams to finally get caught in cap hell -> Tampa showed the way, just engage in LTIR shenanigans. The league doesn't care. Outside of Pacioretty getting dumped off Vegas (mostly because they went and got Eichel), name a contending team that's been caught in cap hell and had to dump players for cheaper than their market value. It just doesn't happen. Teams have also found out that Arizona exists solely to facilitate some of this as well.

I do wonder on the Boston deal - I'm curious if Boston said, "we'll do a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and Craig Smith for Gavrikov at 50% retained and Olivier." Sounds like, if you believe some of the reporting, CBJ said no on retention and taking Craig Smith so Boston sought to move out Smith before finalizing that trade. In the meantime, how likely is it that Washington, deciding to move into sell mode, heard about that offer and said, "We'll do that for Orlov and Hathaway" and then it got done quickly?

Korpisalo on his own should have returned a 3rd, at worst -> see Scott Wedgewood, David Rittich in recent years.
Nyquist -> you can kind of hem and haw, but sounds like the return would have been a round or 2 better (or come with conditions to make it better, at least) had the Jackets acted sooner.
Gavrikov -> Jarmo wanted a 1st + a 3rd, ended up really only getting a 1st for him (see above on Korpi). Now, do how do GMs value the ~20th pick vs the ~32nd pick, I don't know.
Voracek -> I'm not an LTIR expert, but how is getting him off the books better than having him on opening-season LTIR (if he is, in fact, done -> considering he did say he would try to come back if his health allowed)?

I'm not horribly upset about the returns. As I said, I think at most we probably missed out on a middle round pick and bumping up rounds on a couple picks. They're all lottery tickets anyway, so not a huge deal. I just don't think value was maximized on all these trades, but you're not going to hit a home run on every trade.

Consider Anaheim -> who do they think is left wanting the services of Klingberg, Kulikov, Shattenkirk, etc.? They waited too long, imo, though we'll see what today brings.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So… do we think we’re done? All pending UFAs gone. Cleared “enough” cap space for next year. Resolved the Quick dilemma. Chychrun has been moved…

Feels like that might be it for us, at least from us being “proactive”. Who knows if someone will approach Jarmo tomorrow with an offer that he won’t turn down.

My best guess is that Jarmo really doesn't want to hold onto that Kings 1st round pick. That would be *SEVEN* 1st round selections in 3 years, but you're waiting several years on Ceulemans, Mateychuk, likely the Kings selection at 20-whatever. That would be a true rebuild and they've signaled they think they're playoff ready next year.

That have today or at the draft to package up that pick to get an NHL-ready player(s) if they find the right guy. I could see them waiting until the draft when they'll have certainty around picking a center in the top 3. Pretty glaring holes to fix though -> top 4 LD, top 2 centers, really, etc.

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I’m certainly not taking Hayes at full price. The flyers have to eat some of that money and attach a pick on it. I doubt that’s what will happen, but we appear to be at desperate times for a center.

This also kind of implies to me that we’re not confident in Texier returning to us. Not that most of us here weren’t expecting that anyway.

Center options we have for next year (on our current team right now): Jenner, Sillinger, Roslovic, Johnson, Kuraly

You have to improve that. Even Connor Bedard (who we’re not going to get) doesn’t save that center group. Need at least two guys into that mix to help out.

I don’t think Tex will ever be a C

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"A ton of cap space for next year" -> only if you consider ownership doesn't want to dip into LTIR via an insured contract.
"Ideal position to take advantage of teams in cap hell" - I've heard this refrain for, what, 4 years running? It's never happened. In fact, we got taken advantage of in "cap hell" when Gaudreau unexpectedly signed here and we had to dump Bjorkstrand.

I don't know why people keep expecting teams to finally get caught in cap hell -> Tampa showed the way, just engage in LTIR shenanigans. The league doesn't care. Outside of Pacioretty getting dumped off Vegas (mostly because they went and got Eichel), name a contending team that's been caught in cap hell and had to dump players for cheaper than their market value. It just doesn't happen. Teams have also found out that Arizona exists solely to facilitate some of this as well.

I do wonder on the Boston deal - I'm curious if Boston said, "we'll do a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and Craig Smith for Gavrikov at 50% retained and Olivier." Sounds like, if you believe some of the reporting, CBJ said no on retention and taking Craig Smith so Boston sought to move out Smith before finalizing that trade. In the meantime, how likely is it that Washington, deciding to move into sell mode, heard about that offer and said, "We'll do that for Orlov and Hathaway" and then it got done quickly?

Korpisalo on his own should have returned a 3rd, at worst -> see Scott Wedgewood, David Rittich in recent years.
Nyquist -> you can kind of hem and haw, but sounds like the return would have been a round or 2 better (or come with conditions to make it better, at least) had the Jackets acted sooner.
Gavrikov -> Jarmo wanted a 1st + a 3rd, ended up really only getting a 1st for him (see above on Korpi). Now, do how do GMs value the ~20th pick vs the ~32nd pick, I don't know.
Voracek -> I'm not an LTIR expert, but how is getting him off the books better than having him on opening-season LTIR (if he is, in fact, done -> considering he did say he would try to come back if his health allowed)?

I'm not horribly upset about the returns. As I said, I think at most we probably missed out on a middle round pick and bumping up rounds on a couple picks. They're all lottery tickets anyway, so not a huge deal. I just don't think value was maximized on all these trades, but you're not going to hit a home run on every trade.

Consider Anaheim -> who do they think is left wanting the services of Klingberg, Kulikov, Shattenkirk, etc.? They waited too long, imo, though we'll see what today brings.

I have a tough time understanding this post.

They signed Gaudreau last offseason.
It made a massive spin on the offseason and they had the cap space to do that.

They’ll have what around 20M in cap space next offseason with no major extensions coming up.

They are in a place in their rebuild where they can turn assets into players like the Devils have.

Reactions: LJ7 and GoJackets1

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Yeah, who knows what kind of a player you would get from a late 1st or a 2nd...where was Boone drafted? Oh, yeah 2nd round.

And thank you for coming down from your lofty perch to engage in a stupid conversation.
My problem with the "trade Jenner if the return is decent" approach is that CBJ knows what they have in Jenner. A late 1st or 2nd, no one knows, as you acknowledge. Historically, the odds are very low of getting a Jenner in that draft slot. I'd rather keep what I know. Even if he slows, he'd still be fine on 3rd line, which is where he'd be slotted when we get "good" down the middle - and he'd still be on a very good contract.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Over/under

1.5 CBJ trades today
I’m hoping for under and save any trade chips for the summer when ams will be looking to trim for cap reasons And maybe even restock previously traded draft picks. The chances of getting a more useful player - not more bottom 6 or bottom pair players…….Now if you can trade Elvis that’s different :cool:

My problem with the "trade Jenner if the return is decent" approach is that CBJ knows what they have in Jenner. A late 1st or 2nd, no one knows, as you acknowledge. Historically, the odds are very low of getting a Jenner in that draft slot. I'd rather keep what I know. Even if he slows, he'd still be fine on 3rd line, which is where he'd be slotted when we get "good" down the middle - and he'd still be on a very good contract.
I’d have given this two likes if they’d let me

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
looking at their contract situation… idk, hayes' contract isn't really prohibitive in any way. his deal expires at the end of 2025-26 – the jackets have a ton of money coming off the books that year and aren't really staring down the barrel of any big time RFA negotiations before that other than johnson, who is gonna be a 10.2(c) – no offer sheet or arb – which should keep his aav way down.

hayes is clearly a better NHL center than anyone else currently on the roster, and as you said, they'll still need help even if they do get bedard. but i think the ideal scenario here even with a lotto win is something like this in 23-24:

gaudreau - TBD - bedard
johnson - jenner - laine
chinakhov - sillinger - marchenko
texier - kuraly - danforth

if i had to rank the candidates in my head for that TBD 1C spot:

1. hertl (extremely high acquisition cost, but cbj could pull it off)
2. kuznetsov (same age as hayes, better player, less likely)
3. schmaltz (young, term, lower aav, right handed)
4. hayes (low acquisition cost, good production)
5. reinhart (rental, unlikely to move since fla gains a lot of cap this summer)
6. schenn (older + way more term than hayes)
7. miller (bad contract, better as a winger, but really productive)
8. duchene (older, higher aav, same term, not a center)
9. couture (still very good, but three years older than hayes + more term/higher aav)
10. johansen (more expensive, coming off injury)
11. roslovic (please do not make me watch him any more)

kevin hayes definitely isn't a perfect player by any means, but he's the best mix of productive + attainable + low-risk of anyone else on that list.

Please trade Rosie!!!!!
i'm probably in the (extreme) minority here but i think both sides would do hayes for roslovic straight up, and i'd love that.

Last edited:

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Hey why wouldn’t we look at IP on the Flyers? What is wrong with him they are trying to get rid of him? He plays 1st pair LD and could slot nicely into our 2nd pair with 2yrs remaining?

Maybe a package of Rosie and Bean plus salary retention for IP and KH???

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Hey why wouldn’t we look at IP on the Flyers? What is wrong with him they are trying to get rid of him? He plays 1st pair LD and could slot nicely into our 2nd pair with 2yrs remaining?

Maybe a package of Rosie and Bean plus salary retention for IP and KH???
big time no thank you on provorov. he's an overrated hockey player and his stated beliefs clash with a major part of columbus's cultural identity as a city.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad