2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
since gigantic trades with a million pieces are all the rage these days…

jenner + gavrikov + korpi to EDM for their 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2023 3rd, one of mcleod/holloway and puljujarvi… who says no?

cbj can take the picks and go after chychrun or hold onto them until the draft and swing for a LHD (or use parts of the return in both), then sign someone like lars eller to be the 3C in free agency.

Jenner alone should get 2023 1st and 2024 1st, maybe more. We should say no to that IMO.
Gavy & Korpi are as good as gone regardless if a trade occurs or not. Jenner wil probably decline. I'd do that trade all day long.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
i still think we CAN get a first for Gavrikov, although it is probably unlikely. He’s now the undisputed top player on the market (I don’t count Chychrun since that’s likely a summer move. And same with karlsson). Teams might get desperate and feel like they have to do something.

I still think there’s a decent chance a western conference team comes for him. Other than the ones we already know about (Edmonton, la)

Reactions: LJ7

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
TA had a new article today saying Gavy is the #2 most buzz worthy TDL acquisition left (behind Kane and ahead of Chycrun, Ekholm and JVR). Without quoting the entire breakdown of Gavy which was complimentary, Eric Duhatschek and Michael Russo said:

The expected return on Gavrikov begins with a first-round pick and goes up from there.

FTR, Korpi was ranked #25.

Los Angeles, Seattle and maybe even Vegas all could use an upgrade in goal, which could create an interesting bidding war, given that they are also all clustered together near the top of the Pacific Division standings.

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
i still think we CAN get a first for Gavrikov, although it is probably unlikely. He’s now the undisputed top player on the market (I don’t count Chychrun since that’s likely a summer move. And same with karlsson). Teams might get desperate and feel like they have to do something.

I still think there’s a decent chance a western conference team comes for him. Other than the ones we already know about (Edmonton, la)
I think so too. Could also be a next year first.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
i don't think it necessarily slows down the rebuild, either, because boone will likely be a bottom six player (i.e. more replaceable) in 2-3 years even if the rebuild goes according to plan.

Ideally I'd want him as a 3C because that would mean you have two very good centers above him. But that's part of why Jenner is great to have because he's a solid top-6 player who brings in qualities the team really needs and in the best case scenario where you can afford to play him as a 3C, he'd slot right into that role.

As for how he will age, no one knows that, he could have 1 good year left in him or he could have 10. Most likely it's something in between, but I don't see why Jenner should fall off a cliff as soon as year or even two from now.

The team is already lacking solid veterans, if you trade him you're likely to be looking at trading some of the assets you get in return for a veteran middle-6 guy anyway, unless you want to push the timeline years further. Jenner is proven and a known quantity who works well with other players they have. There's no guarantee a player who's about as good on paper would work as well. Granted, if you do a trade at dead line, you can probably come ahead and get a replacement player for cheaper in the off season, but then - Jenner is the captain, a career CBJ player and most likely brings in those famous "intangibles", all things that would make the optics and "message" of the trade bad, but that's another conversation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Does anyone in the West want to add? The East is going to be an absolute bear, my goodness.

-Tampa adds Tanner Jeannot -> this is either a "classic Tampa" trade or a massive overpay. a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and Cal Foote for a guy with 14 points this season. They could extend him long-term for cheap a la Nick Paul.
-New Jersey adds Timo Meier (plus a bunch of other nothing it seems).
-Boston added Orlov and Hathaway.
-Toronto added O'Reilly and Acciari.
-Rangers added Tarasneko, Motte, and by all accounts are readying a trade for Patrick Kane.
-Islanders added Bo Horvat.

In the west, it's...
-Colorado added Matt Nieto, Keith Kinkaid, and Jack Johnson. Yawn.
-Vegas added Dysin Mayo and Ivan Barbashev.
-Winnipeg added Nino Niederreiter.
-Dallas swapped Gurianov for Dadonov.

The West is so bad and none of the teams appear to want to get materially better (yet) heading into the home stretch.

It's really dumb to me because your chance of winning the cup is so much higher coming out of the West. These Eastern clubs are just going to destroy each other. The Western clubs could give themselves the best odds with less investment, and they're so far not even investing that amount.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Not being negative but I feel it will be hard to sign a UFA Top 4 LD in the offseason, without overpaying a player past his prime or giving up significant assets.

With our record this year, the rest of the East and lack of playoff history of the CBJ. I wish we could have figured out the contract situation with Gavy :(

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Not being negative but I feel it will be hard to sign a UFA Top 4 LD in the offseason, without overpaying a player past his prime or giving up significant assets.

With our record this year, the rest of the East and lack of playoff history of the CBJ. I wish we could have figured out the contract situation with Gavy :(
The worst part of the Gavy situation is that even with him and Z in the lineup... We still need another Dman not named Jiricek lol.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oof. The options are drying up. Not good.

Boston really f***ed us. I’m not panicking yet but the optics are not looking good.

So you think there were other 1sts out there for Gavrikov that we passed up? I don't.

That and from Portzline, Pagnotta, and the Boston reporters there was never a deal or a request to hold the player. "By all accounts Boston did nothing wrong" per Porty. The Jackets could have taken another deal, there just wasn't anything else to go for.

I think this whole Boston thing had no effect on the end result. There's just too many D on the market.

they also had a deal in place on the draft floor for chychrun, and that fell through at the last minute after arizona traded up to get geekie.

They traded up to #11 after the deal with us to get #12 fell through because Chychrun didn't want to go to Columbus.

McCabe has 2 years left on his deal, Gavrikov may be better. But those 2 years make a huge difference. As I started before, I wonder of his unwillingness to extend makes GMs wonder if he will jump ship back to the KHL. He was really difficult to sign, so he has that history on him.

He's not going to take a huge paycut to go to Russia. He wants to go to...

I'm a Florida fan, but I wouldn't be surprised if his plan is to join Bob in Florida

This one. I think.

I will say, the reporting is all over the place on #2. It's a pretty even split between, "this deal was agreed upon" and "Boston didn't agree to anything." I have no idea how the divide is this large, but it is. A reporter from the Boston Globe said on Friday that the Bruins hadn't agreed to anything and certainly weren't going to pay a 1st for Gavrikov. Then you have Friedman, one of the more well-respected national reporters, saying other GMs thought the Gavrikov deal was done.

Very curious and I'd be fascinated to get the real story, but it'll months or years before we do, if ever.

It looks to me like Friedman is on an island about this. The local reporters on both sides are probably right.

It is a pretty weird thought process. Would people have rather he accept a lesser deal, just to get it done, while the Boston deal was still on the table?

Imagine the furor if Jarmo traded Gav for a 2nd and a 3rd, and then it comes out that he had a deal on the table for a 1st and 3rd +? and didn’t take that one.

This is, of course, assuming Friedman’s reporting is accurate.

To me if we get a 2nd+3rd type return, that's fine, that's about what reasonably should have expected in the first place with the surplus of D out there. If it's less then I'll wonder if Jarmo waited too long to take an offer.

But people complaining about him waiting on the Boston offer are just cranks. He only would have waited if it was clearly the best offer and no one would have wanted him to take less when the 1st was still a possibility. Just pure haters.

Reportedly, per Portzline, Olivier was requested to be in the Boston trade and it sounds like we said no. Very dumb.

Olivier wasn't the hang up. Retention and Smith's contract was. Olivier was probably in the deal.

Jenner is going to have a Umberger or Hartnell like decline, super sharp. With his back the way it is, just a short cross check in the wrong area and he might not be effective again. I don't know if he has a clause but if he doesn't, I'd ask him what he wants to do, if I'm getting calls. Does he think he'll still be playing at a high level in three years when the Jackets will (hopefully) not suck, or does he want to go Cup chasing while he can?

All this talk is making me wonder if folks are overrating late 1sts and later picks. You can get the 30th pick for ten straight years and might not get a Jeannot or Jenner level player. I wouldn't make a trade like that that sets back the team for next year. Our future depends on being able to execute a return to decency before the next generation is spoiled.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
All this talk is making me wonder if folks are overrating late 1sts and later picks. You can get the 30th pick for ten straight years and might not get a Jeannot or Jenner level player. I wouldn't make a trade like that that sets back the team for next year. Our future depends on being able to execute a return to decency before the next generation is spoiled.
But would you do a trade that weakens next year's team but also would make the "2024-> team" better? (assuming Jenner declines fast and/or LTIRetires after next year)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
But would you do a trade that weakens next year's team but also would make the "2024-> team" better? (assuming Jenner declines fast and/or LTIRetires after next year)

Assuming he declines fast, yes, but I wouldn't assume that. I think he's got a lot of years left.

Reactions: tunnelvision

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Assuming he declines fast, yes, but I wouldn't assume that. I think he's got a lot of years left.
If they don't move him and Jenner suffers a career ending back-related injury next year, I will view that as another L for Jarmo. Not necessarily a massive L because there's always bad luck involved but still an L.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad