2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
but he's our hometown kid!!!!!!

Grew up a Pittsburgh fan in East Palestine, Ohio, which is closer to Pittsburgh than Columbus or Cleveland. He played youth hockey on a Pittsburgh team. His only tie to Columbus is his brother played for OSU. His brother was playing for the Nailers (Pittsburgh’s ECHL affiliate) last I heard.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Grew up a Pittsburgh fan in East Palestine, Ohio, which is closer to Pittsburgh than Columbus or Cleveland. He played youth hockey on a Pittsburgh team. His only tie to Columbus is his brother played for OSU. His brother was playing for the Nailers (Pittsburgh’s ECHL affiliate) last I heard.
Did you not read the sarcasm in that?

• Haha
Reactions: cbjthrowaway

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
With all the talent coming to the metro and potentially, even if the CBJ get Bedard and are able to acquire a top 4 defenseman, they will still prob finish last the division and 10th in the league
Nah, we'll at least be better than the Flyers.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Did you not read the sarcasm in that?
I never paid any attention before. I’d seen some things saying Miller grew up ”near Cleveland” and just left it go when people would say something about an Ohio kid.

But yeah East Palestine is the def oriented to Pittsburgh and it looks like they moved to Pittsburgh for youth hockey?

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I agree but supposedly he’s very unhappy about these scratches and lack of trade
The scratches made sense once the BOS deal was "in the bush" but apparently not "in the hand."
The scratches since last Thursday (3 total) probably still make sense - once out 5 games, what's 3 more?.
It is the combination of the two (8 total games) that seems out of whack. But given Gavi's reported insistence on not negotiating an extension and BOS's reversal on the "bush" deal, not sure who he can fairly be mad at. If FLA is the ultimate destination, FLA will just wait until UFA this summer and not burn any assets to get Gavi for 25+ meaningless games for FLA - they are out of the SCPO hunt as a practical matter.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I never paid any attention before. I’d seen some things saying Miller grew up ”near Cleveland” and just left it go when people would say something about an Ohio kid.

But yeah East Palestine is the def oriented to Pittsburgh and it looks like they moved to Pittsburgh for youth hockey?

I assume they just commuted - it is about an hour away from Pittsburgh. If he played for a team in the NW part of Pittsburgh, it is probably a shorter drive. I know plenty of people in Columbus that have driven 2 hours each way or more multiple time per week for youth hockey. There are Cincinnati kids and Athens kids that come to Columbus to practice/play.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
I think that in order to make that conclusion we should at least have a better knowledge of 1) what doctors think of Jenner's playing condition now and what it can be in the near future, and 2) how competitive they want the team to become for next season.
#2 is a certain answer - they want the club to be competitive as hell for next season! That's not saying they (or I) realistically expect to be competing for a PO spot, but that's what they want. They aren't planning next year to be a tank run for more ping pong balls.

#1 You never will get that information, neither will I. Obviously CBJ management and Boone have that information, albeit with no guaranty.

Someone (not you Tunnel) posted a response to my first post regarding Boone - suggesting that I re-check comparables. I specifically stated in my first post on Boone that I was NOT equating his value to any of the stud 1Cs in that list - none of those teams would trade their stud 1Cs for any haul. And yet the post I was responding to was proposing 5 picks, only 1 being a 1st, and late-round 1st at that.
My point was/is that Boone, in his current role and team-friendly contract (not a rental and still 29) is worth at least two 1st's plus a prospect. He's not a 35 year old, he's not going to be a UFA for several years. The picks we'd get back are 20+ picks coming from a contender - not as valuable as a 1st from some nebulous team that might be a top 10 pick (as pointed out by Major Major). And thus personally I wouldn't do that deal, but I understand that some would based on value.

My reason for not trading Boone isn't sentimental as much as is this: If you believe/hope that CBJ will be a contender in 2025-26, they will need a Boone. It's that type of player, a veteran, who can play up/down, who thrives when the game gets more physical, who make the difference in making a deep Cup run. That type of player is not going to get the CBJ to that level by himself, its' not a McDavid type player (who hasn't gotten his team to that level yet either) but such a player would be a prime difference maker in a PO run. My point is that CBJ already has that player (Boone himself) under a team-friendly contract for a few more years. If Boone gets hurt, that will be sad on so many levels, but would not be bad asset management. Any picks we'd get for him, even if they make it, are 3-4 years away from contributing to the NHL club. I'm stretching your argument a little, but if any player with a prior injury were to suffer an injury that long-term diminished their ability or was career-ending, in hindsight you would argue that the GM should have traded that player before they got injured? Every player is at risk of that type of injury, admittedly some more than others but Boone is the exact player, and likely will be that same player, that I'd want on a CBJ club that might be chasing playoffs in 2 years and chasing a deeper run in 3. If they don't make that progress as a team, it won't be because they failed to get picks for Boone, it will be for other reasons (kids not developing has hoped, injuries to others, regression by Laine/Gudreau, etc.).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not to be a dick but does Hedger know anything? I feel like he has never broken any trade/rumor.
Probably just listened to Friedman who said in his podcast that to his knowledge the goalie front is rather quiet. To his knowledge so far it's only LA actively looking for a goalie. Personally, I think that's gonna change though as teams continue to evaluate their goaltending and as some GM's probably didn't show their hand just yet. If Friedman is right this could mean that Korpisalo isn't gonna go ahead of Friday.

I also wonder what happens if there really is no market for goalies this week. Does Jarmo blink and give in, give away a hot goalie for cheap? Or does he hold onto Korpisalo until the draft? Or does he go out of his way trying to dump Merzlikins instead?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad