2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Would be funny if Gavrikov goes to Toronto for Boston's first

just throwing this out there:

PlayerCap HitBonus / Base SalaryRemaining Salary
gavrikov$2.8m$0 / $4.2m$1,134,000
kerfoot$3.5m$1.95m / $750k$202,500

cbj could move gavrikov for boston's 1st + kerfoot without having to retain anything, save $900k in real cash, then potentially flip kerfoot as a rental (useful!) for a mid-round pick from someone else, retaining 50% and saving another $100k.

leafs would get cap relief + a defenseman who actually plays defense. jackets would cut ~$1m in payroll (essentially what they already owe gavrikov) and recoup the entire boston return without having to include olivier.

win-win!

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My guess is that want to emphasize that if you acquire someone and that someone becomes healthy enough to play, you need to play him. You can’t hold him out the last 3 weeks of the season for cap purposes and then activate him for the playoffs. Probably just a threat with no good enforcement mechanism, but they are just putting it out there so if anyone complains later, they can say they made an announcement.

I think this warning might actually kill the Nyquist deal. The league can punish teams however they want, and they come down hard on cap circumvention, though I'm not sure how they would monitor this. So teams will only take him if they're sure he isn't playable in the regular season.

I have always had the theory that there is something Jarmo doesn't like about him.

When we declined to retain or take a cap dump from Boston, that's when I figured we probably wouldn't take Puljujarvi. He's a good experiment asset wise but he's still owed a lot of money this year, maybe about $800k.

What if Jarmo shocks the world and we trade for Parayko? Something like Peeke, Boqvist, 2024 1st (top 3 protected), Mateychuk.

Parayko is way past his prime at this point. I'm not sure if I'd take his contract for free.

washington definitely wasn't a suitor for gavrikov and i think everyone assumed getting mccabe would take toronto out of it anyway.

if anything this is good news as it takes two more LHD off the market (granted both are stylistically different) AND if toronto still has some kind of interest in gavrikov (despite now having a logjam at d) they could move boston's first for him.

McCabe covers the same boxes as Gavrikov so I can't imagine they want to pay up for both.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
just throwing this out there:

PlayerCap HitBonus / Base SalaryRemaining Salary
gavrikov$2.8m$0 / $4.2m$1,134,000
kerfoot$3.5m$1.95m / $750k$202,500

cbj could move gavrikov for boston's 1st + kerfoot without having to retain anything, save $900k in real cash, then potentially flip kerfoot as a rental (useful!) for a mid-round pick from someone else, retaining 50% and saving another $100k.

leafs would get cap relief + a defenseman who actually plays defense. jackets would cut ~$1m in payroll (essentially what they already owe gavrikov) and recoup the entire boston return without having to include olivier.

win-win!

Not sure Toronto wants to trade for *another* defenseman. Their left side is pretty well set with Rielly, McCabe, and Giordano, unless they flip one of the lefties to take Liljegren's spot.

Reactions: majormajor

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Not sure Toronto wants to trade for *another* defenseman. Their left side is pretty well set with Rielly, McCabe, and Giordano, unless they flip one of the lefties to take Liljegren's spot.
tbf, gavrikov can play on the right side and it's not like holl/gustafsson are worldbeaters either.

i'd go so far as to say that gavrikov is an improvement over giordano and mccabe.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I believe this costs Arizona around $182k in actual cash. Kane had a $4m signing bonus at the start of the season.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

@cbjthrowaway you need to collaborate with Frank haha

hopefully ownership learned its lesson about being stingy with the checkbook on the boston stuff!

in this scenario, the jackets would be eating $550k-ish to retain gavrikov, taking on another $500k-ish to take on holl, and another $45k-ish on korpi.

their total payroll wouldn't really change, they'd just be swapping gavrikov for holl, calling tarasov back up, and adding a 1st, 3rd and 4th.

to me, it's a no-brainer, but the math is essentially the same as it would've been to just take craig smith back in the original gavrikov deal, which cbj ownership wasn't willing to do.

edit: engvall just got dealt to NYI, which frees up enough money for the leafs to activate murray i believe. could still do the deal outlined above but with olivier in for korpi, which would be pretty much the exact same as the boston deal lol

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
hopefully ownership learned its lesson about being stingy with the checkbook on the boston stuff!

in this scenario, the jackets would be eating $550k-ish to retain gavrikov, taking on another $500k-ish to take on holl, and another $45k-ish on korpi.

their total payroll wouldn't really change, they'd just be swapping gavrikov for holl, calling tarasov back up, and adding a 1st, 3rd and 4th.

to me, it's a no-brainer, but the math is essentially the same as it would've been to just take craig smith back in the original gavrikov deal, which cbj ownership wasn't willing to do.

I don't think they'd do it. A million bucks to upgrade to the ~30th pick?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

edit: engvall just got dealt to NYI, which frees up enough money for the leafs to activate murray i believe. could still do the deal outlined above but with olivier in for korpi, which would be pretty much the exact same as the boston deal lol
The last rumor seemed to indicate Boston wanted Olivier as part of the deal and that wasn't something CBJ wanted to do. I don't think this is about money but you can't believe GM's in print. Jarmo indicated CBJ could be willing to be a broker for trades - which implies the opposite of the narrative that keeps getting floated. I'm not sure we'll ever know.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I don't think they'd do it. A million bucks to upgrade to the ~30th pick?
vegas got the 19th overall pick in 2017 for taking on the remaining $15m on david clarkson's deal

$1m for a first round pick is perfectly fine for a rebuilding team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The last rumor seemed to indicate Boston wanted Olivier as part of the deal and that wasn't something CBJ wanted to do. I don't think this is about money but you can't believe GM's in print. Jarmo indicated CBJ could be willing to be a broker for trades - which implies the opposite of the narrative that keeps getting floated. I'm not sure we'll ever know.

Where did you hear that the Jackets refused to include Olivier? If the reporting says it was about money then that's the best info we have.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Where did you hear that the Jackets refused to include Olivier? If the reporting says it was about money then that's the best info we have.

The best we have is that Portzline said Boston requested we include Olivier in the Gavrikov trade. I don't think it was reported that we turned it down.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Holy hell this has to be the most active deadline ever. And none of it on the actual day

From what I can tell, still on the board are Gavrikov, Chychrun, Klingberg, Boeser (maybe), Kevin Hayes, Ekholm (maybe), Dumba (maybe), Max Domi, Adam Henrique, Lars Eller, JVR, Gostisbehere, Nick Jensen, Joel Edmunson, Nick Bjugstad, Dmitry Kulikov...I don't know, probably a few more I'm missing.

Gavrikov is the biggest name left, right up there with Chychrun.

Schenn moving for a 3rd doesn't bode well, imo.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
vegas got the 19th overall pick in 2017 for taking on the remaining $15m on david clarkson's deal

The salary cost of that leftover after insurance was probably just a few million.

You can also look at the Canes taking on Marleau for the 1st, with I think $4m in real money left on his buyout. I thought it was a good deal that we should have taken but Jarmo literally said "nah" when asked about it. The Canes got Jarvis with that pick.

$1m for a first round pick is perfectly fine for a rebuilding team.

It's an upgrade from a 2nd rounder to the ~30th.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The last rumor seemed to indicate Boston wanted Olivier as part of the deal and that wasn't something CBJ wanted to do.
the way portzline wrote it was that:
1. cbj and boston had agreed on a deal
2. boston had asked for olivier to be included
3. the money didn't work, so boston made a trade for two similar players (orlov/hathaway)

personally, i read that as "olivier was part of the deal" because there's no scenario where #3 is the result of him not being included. but i also only read what portzline said.

I don't think this is about money but you can't believe GM's in print. Jarmo indicated CBJ could be willing to be a broker for trades - which implies the opposite of the narrative that keeps getting floated. I'm not sure we'll ever know.
he's said it the last three years and they've been a broker exactly zero times.

minnesota just paid ~80k and got a 4th and 5th round pick.

Well, we just recalled Jet Greaves, so there must be a Korpisalo move pending.
would be IMMENSELY cooler if recalling greaves was only ever phrased as "we're scrambling the jet"

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Sweezy is to make room for Jet. Boqvist due back tonight so Gavi is the extra in the box. I'd love to see a nice deal where both Korpi and Gavi are moved tonight. End the madness and move on. That will give us something else to bitch about when the deal is great/terrible. Should impact our discussion on Keep/Fire Jarmo. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad