2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe a little, but like GoJackets1 said, he's not the same type of defenseman as the ones who are moving

I don't agree.

Gavi is a well rounded D with a shutdown focus and that's exactly how you'd describe Orlov and Ekholm, they're just better.

He's also the same type as McCabe who is having a better season (though he was worse than Gavi before this year).

I don’t think so. Most of these guys being moved are known as smooth skating, puck moving D. Both of which I doubt are Gav’s most noticeable quality. Although I do think he’s pretty decent in the puck moving capacity.

None of these D are high end puckmovers.

All four play hard shutdown type minutes.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and LJ7

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
GaVrIKoV iS gETtiNG a FiRSt

What firsts are even left at this point?

Jarmo once again the smartest man in the room. If we make the Chychrun deal I have a bad feeling we get fleeced.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't agree.

Gavi is a well rounded D with a shutdown focus and that's exactly how you'd describe Orlov and Ekholm, they're just better.

He's also the same type as McCabe who is having a better season (though he was worse than Gavi before this year).

A big problem is with how much they are getting paid.

These guys are making like 1/2 or less than what Karlsson makes.

Edit
Orlov 5.1M
Gavrikov 2.8M
Ekholm 6.25M

Karlsson 11.5

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I don't agree.

Ekholm is absolutely a puck-mover, as are Sandin, Barrie, and Luke Schenn. My apologies, I should have qualified my statement with "most of."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ekholm is absolutely a puck-mover, as are Sandin, Barrie, and Luke Schenn. My apologies, I should have qualified my statement with "most of."

Ekholm is good at it but it isn't his most standout quality.

Sandin and Barrie were moved today as cap dumps, which says the opposite of what you're saying about the value of puckmovers.

Luke Schenn is not a puckmover at all.

Sorry but you're off by a mile.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana

All four play hard shutdown type minutes.
I’ve always personally considered Orlov to be a pretty good puckmover. Ekholm slightly less so, but still reliable. I would call them both smooth skaters as well, moreso than Gav. Although I haven’t seen much of Ekholm in awhile so I could be totally mischaracterizing him. McCabe, I honestly forgot about- can agree there. Schenn obviously isn’t, but I don’t think we look to him as a trade comp anyway.

I’m sure the single biggest factor with Gav though is pure rental vs term. Orlov is another matter though because he’s just a better player than Gav.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
GaVrIKoV iS gETtiNG a FiRSt

What firsts are even left at this point?

Jarmo once again the smartest man in the room. If we make the Chychrun deal I have a bad feeling we get fleeced.

If Jarmo played the Gavi trade properly what do you think he gets?

If the idea of getting a 1st for Gavi was laughable in the first place then what the heck are you complaining about?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
If Jarmo played the Gavi trade properly what do you think he gets?

If the idea of getting a 1st for Gavi was laughable in the first place then what the heck are you complaining about?
Set the price way too high and didn’t bring it down enough before the music stopped and their were no more chairs.

He had 1 job this terrible season and that was to bring in the most value we can from our pending UFAs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Set the price way too high and didn’t bring it down enough before the music stopped and their were no more chairs.

He had 1 job this terrible season and that was to bring in the most value we can from our pending UFAs.

You forgot to wait until the trade happens before posting this.

All we can surmise at this point is that there won't be a 1st but the return might be shit or it might be what he'd get with a lower ask in the first place.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
A fifth for Gus. He is injured but still a big lol.

I guess I still refuse to accept how heavily GMs pay for size. Gus is better hockey player than Jeannot, whose price was the entire draft class

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
You forgot to wait until the trade happens before posting this.

All we can surmise at this point is that there won't be a 1st but the return might be shit or it might be what he'd get with a lower ask in the first place.
You’re right

1. The deadline isn’t over yet. I acknowledge it’s unlikely now, but there’s still time.
Yep
2. He literally did
I haven’t seen a trade announcement?

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we’d all have a merry Christmas.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I wonder if Gus could have returned more if the trade included heavy conditions ok playoff games player. I was surprised it's just fully unconditional trade

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo's patience screwed the pooch on Nyquist's return. Retaining 50% for a 5th. Return would have been more if done before the LTIR memo.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So ownership IS/WAS willing to retain.

Maybe, no way to know if he was still owed any uninsured money.

And if he was owed more you could interpret this as a rushed move to unload half his salary after the league's announcement, with Minnesota being the only club capable of taking him off LTIR.

Reactions: Toe Pick

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I wonder if Gus could have returned more if the trade included heavy conditions ok playoff games player. I was surprised it's just fully unconditional trade
My guess is no. Both teams rolled the dice. Minnesota on they will still hold form and make the playoffs (they prob will, but only 3rd in their division.) If the miss, yes its a 5th/6th, but it still a pick. And CBJ rolled the dice by not doing conditions that they go on the run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad