2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
hopefully ownership learned its lesson about being stingy with the checkbook on the boston stuff!

in this scenario, the jackets would be eating $550k-ish to retain gavrikov, taking on another $500k-ish to take on holl, and another $45k-ish on korpi.

their total payroll wouldn't really change, they'd just be swapping gavrikov for holl, calling tarasov back up, and adding a 1st, 3rd and 4th.

to me, it's a no-brainer, but the math is essentially the same as it would've been to just take craig smith back in the original gavrikov deal, which cbj ownership wasn't willing to do.

edit: engvall just got dealt to NYI, which frees up enough money for the leafs to activate murray i believe. could still do the deal outlined above but with olivier in for korpi, which would be pretty much the exact same as the boston deal lol
I don't think ownership was the issue. I did some number crunching back when the deal first died and if Jarmo was serious about getting Chychrun, it would put the jacket super close to the cap if not over with retaining on Gavrikov and taking on Smiths contract.

Reactions: LJ7

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I don't think ownership was the issue. I did some number crunching back when the deal first died and if Jarmo was serious about getting Chychrun, it would put the jacket super close to the cap if not over with retaining on Gavrikov and taking on Smiths contract.

LTIR exists.

Reactions: domi28

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
the immediate solution would be to put one of voracek/bean/danforth on LTIR, no?

welp

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Oooof. Ouch

No Edmonton. No Boston. No toronto

Looks like Gavrikov is the last big chip to fall on the rental market. I think he’ll still get dealt for a second to some mystery team. Everyone is wheeling and dealing so someone will spend it

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Oooof. Ouch

No Edmonton. No Boston. No toronto

Looks like Gavrikov is the last big chip to fall on the rental market. I think he’ll still get dealt for a second to some mystery team. Everyone is wheeling and dealing so someone will spend it

L.A., Seattle (if it's not a "major" move), Carolina...that's it?

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
So wait, Edmonton goes older and longer contract on a similarly declining defenseman (?), and gives up picks and an extra player for that. Great deal for Nashville if that's true... I'm probably undervaluing Ekholm here, much of the talk recently was how he's starting to decline badly but maybe that's not really true.

This is a crazy day.

This is great, 4% retained because why not:

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
So wait, Edmonton goes older and longer contract on a similarly declining defenseman (?), and gives up picks and an extra player for that. Great deal for Nashville if that's true...

This is a crazy day.
McDrai wanted a "puck moving D". I guess this fits the bill?

Reactions: Fro

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Also I gotta hand it to Dubas for making all sorts of moves today. I'm having a hard time getting my head around all these moves and changes but at least he's giving it a go, come hell or high water.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Sweezy is to make room for Jet. Boqvist due back tonight so Gavi is the extra in the box. I'd love to see a nice deal where both Korpi and Gavi are moved tonight. End the madness and move on. That will give us something else to bitch about when the deal is great/terrible. Should impact our discussion on Keep/Fire Jarmo. :D
Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
So wait, Edmonton goes older and longer contract on a similarly declining defenseman (?), and gives up picks and an extra player for that. Great deal for Nashville if that's true... I'm probably undervaluing Ekholm here, much of the talk recently was how he's starting to decline badly but maybe that's not really true.

This is a crazy day.

This is great, 4% retained because why not:

Ekholm > Barrie all day, every day. Barrie's just a cap dump. The first and Schaefer is a great return.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Does Boston’s move to an alternative deal and the trades involving so many other DMen equate to CBJ fans elevating Gav beyond what he really is?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
re korpisalo
"He's in the final year of a two-year contract he signed with Columbus on April 18, 2020."

Someone at nhl.com not that great in math.

Reactions: koteka and Fro

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Does Boston’s move to an alternative deal and the trades involving so many other DMen equate to CBJ fans elevating Gav beyond what he really is?
I don’t think so. Most of these guys being moved are known as smooth skating, puck moving D. Both of which I doubt are Gav’s most noticeable quality. Although I do think he’s pretty decent in the puck moving capacity.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Maybe a little, but like GoJackets1 said, he's not the same type of defenseman as the ones who are moving, not to mention the fact he is established as a pure rental is probably scuppering his value. I think the Chiarot deal last year really scared the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad