2023 Trade Deadline (03/03/23 3PM EST)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Gavrikov was never getting the Savard package because he’s nowhere near the player Savard was. Gavrikov has been overrated by most CBJ fans for most of his time, and Savard was underrated for essentially his entire time on the CBJ.

Fully prepared for a Gavrikov/Korpisalo package to add to whatever we can get in return.
Savard was underrated ? He never really had a role as big as he had with Columbus before, as in being #1 DD for a play off team

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
My Monday rant...

I don't get why anyone would think CBJ should trade Boone. Sure, other teams want him - in the same vein that CBJ or any other team would want McDavid, or Draistll or Mathews or MacKinnon, or any other C you can identify on another team. They just aren't for sale.
i think i've talked myself into being on the trade boone side of this.

i get the arguments about the intangibles and how indispensable he is to the team as currently constructed… but the team as currently constructed is bad, and no bad team should say someone who hits all the following notes should be 'untouchable'

1. he has a bad back
2. he has missed a ton of time because of that + other injuries
3. he's about to turn 30
4. he has a career high of 49 points
5. he set that career high eight(!) years ago
6. despite that, he's enormously valuable in a trade
7. he'd have tons of suitors while few forwards remain on the market

does moving him create a leadership vacuum? yes. has this leadership group accomplished anything? nope. could they find veterans to step in who have been on winning teams? probably.

if they move him, they'd get a haul and could use those assets to swing big on a guy like hertl or kuznetsov. then that's your 1C and your 2C is either kent johnson or bedard/fantilli. the gap between a hertl type guy and boone at 1C is way bigger than the gap between boone and a UFA like lars eller (or sillinger, if he has a big offseason) at 3C.

sentimentally, i want boone to be the first career blue jacket. but that's also how i felt about atkinson. i also wanted foligno to retire a blue jacket. it's a business, though, and both of those guys were moved at the peak of their value. if they get a big offer for a guy like boone, they should take it.

I'm a Florida fan, but I wouldn't be surprised if his plan is to join Bob in Florida
i think there's a hockey trade there to be made. something like gavrikov + a depth forward for reinhart makes sense to me.

Reportedly, per Portzline, Olivier was requested to be in the Boston trade and it sounds like we said no. Very dumb.
the way it was written to me indicated that olivier was in the deal, not that we said no to it.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Jenner has been on a ~60p / 82 games pace for his past 100+ games (since the beginning of last season) and has proven to be solid on any role as a forward. And he's the only proven top-6 center in the team currently. There's plenty of reasons not to trade him even before you get into the whole "he's the captain, intangibles blah blah" thing.

Sure, you could probably get really good value for him, but do people want to rebuild for the next 5+ years?

Reactions: VT

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
the oilers want puck movers, not Gavrikov
The Oilers need someone that can play from the red line back. They do not need puck movers and offense. Sure, maybe there is a thought they want them but that's not going to help them win. Just lose 7-5. This has been talked about on NHL network endlessly. They hear all the "EDmonton in on Karlsson" type rumors and I have not heard one talking head say "Yeah, exactly what they need! That's a great idea".

I'm not saying your are wrong... not even directing this at you as an argument. Just fit here. I don't know that it's Gavrikov but all we are seeing is offensive pieces moving. There will still be a need/desire/market for Gavrikov...albeit I'm starting to slip that it's a reduced one...unfortunately. He and Korpi to Edmonton makes too much sense for it to happen.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
He and Korpi to Edmonton makes too much sense for it to happen.
since gigantic trades with a million pieces are all the rage these days…

jenner + gavrikov + korpi to EDM for their 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2023 3rd, one of mcleod/holloway and puljujarvi… who says no?

cbj can take the picks and go after chychrun or hold onto them until the draft and swing for a LHD (or use parts of the return in both), then sign someone like lars eller to be the 3C in free agency.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Oof. The options are drying up. Not good.

Boston really f***ed us. I’m not panicking yet but the optics are not looking good.
Boston didn't F us. Jarmo F'd himself if he sat around waiting for the deal to go down without continuing to search for a deal.

It's like that time the Cavaliers decline a contract option with Carlos Boozer in order to negotiate a better contract with him and then he bolted for Utah as a free agent. Nothing is ever a done deal until it is a done deal.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
i think i've talked myself into being on the trade boone side of this.

i get the arguments about the intangibles and how indispensable he is to the team as currently constructed… but the team as currently constructed is bad, and no bad team should say someone who hits all the following notes should be 'untouchable'

1. he has a bad back
2. he has missed a ton of time because of that + other injuries
3. he's about to turn 30
4. he has a career high of 49 points
5. he set that career high eight(!) years ago
6. despite that, he's enormously valuable in a trade
7. he'd have tons of suitors while few forwards remain on the market

does moving him create a leadership vacuum? yes. has this leadership group accomplished anything? nope. could they find veterans to step in who have been on winning teams? probably.

if they move him, they'd get a haul and could use those assets to swing big on a guy like hertl or kuznetsov. then that's your 1C and your 2C is either kent johnson or bedard/fantilli. the gap between a hertl type guy and boone at 1C is way bigger than the gap between boone and a UFA like lars eller (or sillinger, if he has a big offseason) at 3C.

sentimentally, i want boone to be the first career blue jacket. but that's also how i felt about atkinson. i also wanted foligno to retire a blue jacket. it's a business, though, and both of those guys were moved at the peak of their value. if they get a big offer for a guy like boone, they should take it.

i think there's a hockey trade there to be made. something like gavrikov + a depth forward for reinhart makes sense to me.

the way it was written to me indicated that olivier was in the deal, not that we said no to it.
There is not a single player (past or present) that I wouldn't trade for the right package. But, I'd really need to know the return on a potential Boone trade before I could be onboard with that. I wouldn't be interested in draft picks, unless they are lottery picks (which we wouldn't likely know in advance). I'd want the trade to make the CBJ better NOW, not in 3-5 years. I'd want multiple young players who will be in the lineup in 2023 or I'd want a big time #1 Center prospect who is ready to play in 2023 (I'm thinking a Byfield level prospect).

At the moment, I just can't imagine another team giving up what I think would be needed to trade Boone. He's probably more valuable to us than he is to anyone else.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Jenner has been on a ~60p / 82 games pace for his past 100+ games (since the beginning of last season) and has proven to be solid on any role as a forward.
he also hasn't played a full season in six years and is about to turn 30. the typical age curve for any player with his production (i.e. not a PPG+ guy) isn't kind, especially one with such a lengthy injury history who plays the type of minutes he does.

And he's the only proven top-6 center in the team currently.
and as a second line center he's kind of just fine. to become a contender, they'll likely need to add/develop two centers who are better than boone is right now, and boone is unlikely to maintain his current level of play for more than another year given what we know about age curves.

in other words, his value on the ice will depreciate over the next couple of years. his value in a trade will never be higher. and they need to upgrade at his position anyway.

i don't think it necessarily slows down the rebuild, either, because boone will likely be a bottom six player (i.e. more replaceable) in 2-3 years even if the rebuild goes according to plan.

At the moment, I just can't imagine another team giving up what I think would be needed to trade Boone. He's probably more valuable to us than he is to anyone else.
that's the hardest part of this -- coming up with a price.

for me, it's a 1st + a young roster player + a sweetener. wouldn't be above packaging boone with gavrikov to add another first onto that.

Reactions: tunnelvision

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I suspect there was no deal even close to what Boston agreed to. I doubt Jarmo was such a noble knight to wait for Boston and do nothing
Jarmo is a good dealmaker. A good dealmaker knows the first rule in dealmaking- Time kills deals.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I suspect there was no deal even close to what Boston agreed to. I doubt Jarmo was such a noble knight to wait for Boston and do nothing

It seems like they had agreed to something on some level, but it could be anything from a done deal waiting for Boston to clear up space, to some kind of conditional deal "in case things work out", in which case you enter murky waters. That could easily create a situation where one party thinks more of the agreement than the other. I'm under the impression this is probably what happened here.

If it was really agreed upon, then that was a crap move by Boston GM and not good business practice. But their circumstances being this might be the last run with their current core, I can see how having a better offer come up could've been too tempting and Sweeney figured ruffling some feathers and taking a hit on reputation is not too steep a price to pay for making that run as good as it can be.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Jenner is going to have a Umberger or Hartnell like decline, super sharp. With his back the way it is, just a short cross check in the wrong area and he might not be effective again. I don't know if he has a clause but if he doesn't, I'd ask him what he wants to do, if I'm getting calls. Does he think he'll still be playing at a high level in three years when the Jackets will (hopefully) not suck, or does he want to go Cup chasing while he can?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Boston didn't F us. Jarmo F'd himself if he sat around waiting for the deal to go down without continuing to search for a deal.

It's like that time the Cavaliers decline a contract option with Carlos Boozer in order to negotiate a better contract with him and then he bolted for Utah as a free agent. Nothing is ever a done deal until it is a done deal.
I’m done debating this topic because honestly it doesn’t matter anymore but Carlos Boozer absolutely did f*** the Cavs too.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I personally have no issue trading Jenner if he wants a run at the cup, we’re probably at least 3 years away from that, so if he wants that opportunity, I would grant it to him, but I wouldn’t force a trade of the team captain (plus he’s got a M-NMC)

Reactions: JacketsDavid

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Jenner is going to have a Umberger or Hartnell like decline, super sharp. With his back the way it is, just a short cross check in the wrong area and he might not be effective again.
this, to me, is the biggest reason why they should be shopping him. his value will never be higher, and he's going to have a sharp decline soon. doesn't make sense to hold onto that type of an asset.
I don't know if he has a clause but if he doesn't, I'd ask him what he wants to do, if I'm getting calls. Does he think he'll still be playing at a high level in three years when the Jackets will (hopefully) not suck, or does he want to go Cup chasing while he can?
8-team NTC (i.e. 'don't trade me to canada')

Reactions: Jovavic

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m done debating this topic because honestly it doesn’t matter anymore but Carlos Boozer absolutely did f*** the Cavs too.
Semantics but if you are negotiating you should always protect yourself. In both the Cavs situation and the Jarmo situation, it seems they didn't protect their own interests. if you give someone an inch, they will take a mile.

The only reason either got F'd is because they opened themselves up to let someone else take advantage of them.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
since gigantic trades with a million pieces are all the rage these days…

jenner + gavrikov + korpi to EDM for their 2023 1st, 2024 1st, 2023 3rd, one of mcleod/holloway and puljujarvi… who says no?

cbj can take the picks and go after chychrun or hold onto them until the draft and swing for a LHD (or use parts of the return in both), then sign someone like lars eller to be the 3C in free agency.
Jenner alone should get 2023 1st and 2024 1st, maybe more. We should say no to that IMO.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The Oilers need someone that can play from the red line back. They do not need puck movers and offense. Sure, maybe there is a thought they want them but that's not going to help them win. Just lose 7-5. This has been talked about on NHL network endlessly. They hear all the "EDmonton in on Karlsson" type rumors and I have not heard one talking head say "Yeah, exactly what they need! That's a great idea".

I'm not saying your are wrong... not even directing this at you as an argument. Just fit here. I don't know that it's Gavrikov but all we are seeing is offensive pieces moving. There will still be a need/desire/market for Gavrikov...albeit I'm starting to slip that it's a reduced one...unfortunately. He and Korpi to Edmonton makes too much sense for it to happen.
Yeah Gavrikov is what Edmonton needs, problem is, the rumor is that Oil brass asked McDraisaitl what they wanted and they said PMD.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad